interval training with weights question

bunnybunny

Awards
just got home from jogging/power walking 5 miles, with 2.5 lb weights strapped to each ankle. Most of the time I jog 5 miles, but not always with the weights. I like the way it tones my backside :) and according to a cardio trainer app I have, I burned 682 calories! Unfortunately there is no way to put in the 5 lbs of extra weight that I strapped on (unless you count that towards your whole body weight...) so I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how much using weights helps with calories when doing cardio :)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
just got home from jogging/power walking 5 miles, with 2.5 lb weights strapped to each ankle. Most of the time I jog 5 miles, but not always with the weights. I like the way it tones my backside :) and according to a cardio trainer app I have, I burned 682 calories! Unfortunately there is no way to put in the 5 lbs of extra weight that I strapped on (unless you count that towards your whole body weight...) so I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how much using weights helps with calories when doing cardio :)
That five pounds is an extra five pounds re mass, so to simplify it, you would add five more pounds to your body mass.

In saying that, you really can't count how much adding weights does to your caloric expenditure re cardio - the same as you cannot really calculate your complete caloric expenditure during any kind of exercise (there ARE estimates re calories per minute tables for different activities, but they are really just ESTIMATES), since so many factors come into play (i.e. sex, body mass, hydration, last meal, body temperature, etc.).

~Rosie~