Newbie Looking For Some Guidance

SummerRain

SummerRain

Awards
Hi there,

I'm new here. I'm 40, and am working on hopefully building some muscle over the winter, so I've stopped cardio, and am working on weights only for now.

I have some questions:

1. Should I stop all cardio (just for the winter), and start up again to get more lean for the Summer?

2. How much protein should I have daily to be able to add pounds of muscle?

3. How do I add muscle weight, without gaining any body fat?

Help!

Thanks so much in advance ;-)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Hi there,

I'm new here. I'm 40, and am working on hopefully building some muscle over the winter, so I've stopped cardio, and am working on weights only for now.

I have some questions:

1. Should I stop all cardio (just for the winter), and start up again to get more lean for the Summer?

2. How much protein should I have daily to be able to add pounds of muscle?

3. How do I add muscle weight, without gaining any body fat?

Help!

Thanks so much in advance ;-)
This is going to be my only post in this thread, because I am not going to be on the forums much over the next month - so I recommend that you read through some of the articles on my website, as well as do some personal research or get yourself a decent trainer, after reading this . . .

1. You don't need to stop cardio - just adjust your caloric intake to allow for the energy expended during cardio.

2. How much protein you have is entirely dependent on you. As a MINIMUM, you want ~1g per kg of body mass. Read Macronutrient Composition for Optimal Muscle Growth for information re nutrition for gaining muscle.

3. Gaining bodyfat is a part of gaining muscle mass, and NOT gaining some bodyfat means you're more recomping, which is predominantly dependent on your NUTRITION. It CAN be done, but it IS very slow and you must be patient, and usually only very experienced trainees achieve this. I recommend reading the "Nutrition" part of The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - the same principles apply to ANY body goal (except for the 500 calories less than Maintenance - to gain muscle, you want between 15% to 500 calories ABOVE Maintenance, and recomping generally uses a mix of "fat loss" and "bulking" calories).

~Rosie~

SummerRain

SummerRain

Awards
Rosie ~ Thank you for this very helpful info. I will check out the links you suggested.

Kind regards!
SummerRain ;-)

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
I would be taking the basics. Whey pro isolate, BCAA, glutamine, mutli vit,etc

Watch what you eat and really pay attention to what's happening with ur body and things should work out the way u want.