Helping MOM.... Need Help!

lift or die

Awards
I know the woman on here hate when men do this, but I really do need you help. My mom is trying to get into shape. I wanna help her out, I mean she is "MOM" but I am looking for the right workout routine. Remember she just turn 50 and has bad knees, so cannot take too much abuse on them. If anybody has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know the woman on here hate when men do this, but I really do need you help. My mom is trying to get into shape. I wanna help her out, I mean she is "MOM" but I am looking for the right workout routine. Remember she just turn 50 and has bad knees, so cannot take too much abuse on them. If anybody has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!
There are a few threads on here asking for advice re training/exercise for older women - they have recommendations in them; do a search.

As far as "getting in shape" - that can mean anything from improving fitness to losing fat, etc.

If she has bad knees, then she would just minimize exercises and activity that stresses the knees or uses excessive bending. She can still lift weights/do bodyweight exercises, do cardio (crosstrainer, cycling, swimming, walking), and floor programmes. just give her something basic - start at 3 days a week for 30-40 minutes. Make sure that you include warm-up (could be cardio) for ~10 minutes before weights, and then a brief cool-down for 5-10 minutes, and stretching exercises (to be done in between exercises or later).

~Team APPNUT

BMCLouzee

Sit and be fit on PBS was a good workout show that my grandmother used to do. Very gentle. Minimal, if any, strenuous exercises. If just being healthy is something you want for your mom (ie. more energy not necessarily losing too much weight) usually mild walks are a good way to start. Then there's resistance/weight training. 5lb-10lb dumbbells are good to have, along with some resistance bands. I know that's what my mom occasionally lifts at home. Body weight exercises are another thing. Modified push ups, crunches, hip thrusts, lunges, squats, etc. are good if you simply don't want to purchase exercise equipment. But I think the most important in "getting in shape" "getting healthy" "losing fat" or what have you is diet. Diet is ALWAYS key. You can be a few pounds overweight and find that you can lose that excess weight if you simply change what you eat, even with little to no change in your daily routine. Get her to eat better if she's isn't already doing so. I like to encourage a log of all the calories she's eating along with how much protein, fat, and carbs.

Again. You can do a search. She's not old. She can still do alot of the workouts you and I can do. Just modify it to her ability.

P.S.

I'm that woman you're talking about. =)

lift or die

Awards
OK thank you... you both have been very helpful!

mildot

Awards
Make sure the doctor says she is okay for exercise. Then consider help of trainer for a few times at a local gym.