Tips on Improving Posture

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  128 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7%

Tips on Improving Posture

I work out regularly and have developed a nice set of shoulders, as well as strong chest and back muscles. However, I have terrible posture, and my shoulders tend to "round" rather than being straight back. I know that I need to make a conscious effort to stop slouching and to stand up straight. But can anyone recommend good weightlifting moves that would target back/shoulder muscles to get them stronger and more used to being straight as opposed to rounded?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.08%

http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/fre...r_body_posture

and

http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/fre...r_body_posture

Decent sources but you also have to address the movement patterns and day to day causes of your postural problems or you'll be fighting an uphill battle.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pblover View Post
    I work out regularly and have developed a nice set of shoulders, as well as strong chest and back muscles. However, I have terrible posture, and my shoulders tend to "round" rather than being straight back. I know that I need to make a conscious effort to stop slouching and to stand up straight. But can anyone recommend good weightlifting moves that would target back/shoulder muscles to get them stronger and more used to being straight as opposed to rounded?
    im not being funny when i say this but take up ballroom dancing, the waltz, quickstep ;foxtrot etc. We have a dancing competition on the tv here, in the USA i think its called Dancing with the stars and there is a lot of emphasis on posture .

who knows you might be good at it.
    •   

4. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.68%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by pblover View Post
    Good posture is a conscious thing - which means you have to work at it. If you train with correct technique, you are more likely to have correct posture, since the correct technique for most exercises requires it. Do remember, that not everyone has square shoulders, and you can still have good posture with rounded shoulders (note that "rounded" does not mean "hunched"). Posture is also dependent on a few other things, such as your hips and pelvis and placement, leg lengths, muscle balance, etc. Strengthening your rhomboids will help, for one. Deadlifts are also another good exercise. A simple rehabilitation exercise, where you "set your scapula" is a great exercise, and teaches you how to make the tiny changes that can affect posture.

~Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. BMCLouzee

I actually developed better posture because of weightlifting. I already knew if I didn't have the right form I'd screw up something in my body, so I took the time learning and developing the correct way to do deadlifts, squats, bench (incline, flat, decline), rows, etc. Good posture eventually came as my technique developed. If something isn't feeling right, I know my form is bad.

Other than working out, I learned good posture from a 1950's ladies charm book. Old, but never outdated. It's a matter of programming yourself mentally. You'll get there. I like looking at female bodybuilders, fitness models, and figure models for inspiration. Also, taking before and after shots of poses. That helps, too.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  115 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.5%

I am working on my posture as well.Like Rosie said it is a very concious thing.If you just concentrate on keeping your shoulders back and keeping your shoulders from going forward.All back and shoulder workouts can improve your posture if you focus on good posture while lifting.If you lift with bad posture you could be working an entire different group of muscles.Goodluck and take care
    ANGblonD
  7. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.68%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ANGblonD View Post
    If you lift with bad posture you could be working an entire different group of muscles.
    You don't use an entirely different group of muscles when you lift with bad posture, but you will put more stress on your body, not to mention that lifting with bad form (which lifting with bad posture really is) puts you at risk for injury.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

Similar Forum Threads

1. POSTURE
    By SilverBullet7 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 09:29 AM
  2. excerises for better back posture
    By lightweight57 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-30-2008, 09:20 PM
  3. correcting bad posture?
    By Surtur in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 07:34 PM
  4. Posture and shaping
    By bigred869 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 01:21 AM
  5. Incorrect Body Posture: How to fix it?
    By builtolast in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-05-2004, 01:33 AM