Tips on Improving Posture

pblover

Awards
I work out regularly and have developed a nice set of shoulders, as well as strong chest and back muscles. However, I have terrible posture, and my shoulders tend to "round" rather than being straight back. I know that I need to make a conscious effort to stop slouching and to stand up straight. But can anyone recommend good weightlifting moves that would target back/shoulder muscles to get them stronger and more used to being straight as opposed to rounded?

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
I work out regularly and have developed a nice set of shoulders, as well as strong chest and back muscles. However, I have terrible posture, and my shoulders tend to "round" rather than being straight back. I know that I need to make a conscious effort to stop slouching and to stand up straight. But can anyone recommend good weightlifting moves that would target back/shoulder muscles to get them stronger and more used to being straight as opposed to rounded?
im not being funny when i say this but take up ballroom dancing, the waltz, quickstep ;foxtrot etc. We have a dancing competition on the tv here, in the USA i think its called Dancing with the stars and there is a lot of emphasis on posture .

who knows you might be good at it.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good posture is a conscious thing - which means you have to work at it. If you train with correct technique, you are more likely to have correct posture, since the correct technique for most exercises requires it. Do remember, that not everyone has square shoulders, and you can still have good posture with rounded shoulders (note that "rounded" does not mean "hunched"). Posture is also dependent on a few other things, such as your hips and pelvis and placement, leg lengths, muscle balance, etc. Strengthening your rhomboids will help, for one. Deadlifts are also another good exercise. A simple rehabilitation exercise, where you "set your scapula" is a great exercise, and teaches you how to make the tiny changes that can affect posture.

~Team APPNUT

BMCLouzee

I actually developed better posture because of weightlifting. I already knew if I didn't have the right form I'd screw up something in my body, so I took the time learning and developing the correct way to do deadlifts, squats, bench (incline, flat, decline), rows, etc. Good posture eventually came as my technique developed. If something isn't feeling right, I know my form is bad.

Other than working out, I learned good posture from a 1950's ladies charm book. Old, but never outdated. It's a matter of programming yourself mentally. You'll get there. I like looking at female bodybuilders, fitness models, and figure models for inspiration. Also, taking before and after shots of poses. That helps, too.

ANGblonD

Awards
I am working on my posture as well.Like Rosie said it is a very concious thing.If you just concentrate on keeping your shoulders back and keeping your shoulders from going forward.All back and shoulder workouts can improve your posture if you focus on good posture while lifting.If you lift with bad posture you could be working an entire different group of muscles.Goodluck and take care
ANGblonD

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you lift with bad posture you could be working an entire different group of muscles.
You don't use an entirely different group of muscles when you lift with bad posture, but you will put more stress on your body, not to mention that lifting with bad form (which lifting with bad posture really is) puts you at risk for injury.