Cardio - Morning or night?

footballfam

Awards
Hi,
I started running/walking early mornings due to my schedule. Usually 5-6 days a week and workout with trainer 2 days a week. I keep hearing that I should do cardio later in the day.

Is it really that much better for me to do so later in the day?:dunno:

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hi,
I started running/walking early mornings due to my schedule. Usually 5-6 days a week and workout with trainer 2 days a week. I keep hearing that I should do cardio later in the day.

Is it really that much better for me to do so later in the day?:dunno:
You can do cardio whenever it best suits you.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

footballfam

Awards
There aren't any advantages to one time or the other for weight loss?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There aren't any advantages to one time or the other for weight loss?
For starters, forget about WEIGHT loss and concentrate on FAT loss.

What time you do cardio re best for fat loss is much debated by fitness individuals. Some swear by using morning cardio, and others successfully do evening cardio and get results. Personally I can do either or and get the same progress. In the end, you need to find what works best for YOU.

And remember that fat loss is going to be primarily dependent on your NUTRITION.

I suggest you do a bit of personal research into nutrition and training for fat loss, if that is your goal.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I concur with Rosie here. If you like doing it in the morning because of your schedule then keep at it. I personally love cardio in the morning during the summer/warm months and prefer to do it in the afternoon/evening during the winter. Reason being is when it's really cold in the morning I'm more apt to skip out on it.

Another thing to note for cardio in the morning and it's regards to fat loss is that it can help kick start your metabolism and get it running good for the day which could equate to more calories burned through out the day.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
i have read that EPOC is higher when doing cardio in the evening. when i cut i sometimes do heavy cardio in the morning (running 70-80% VO2 max) then at night go for another 30 minutes of light cardio (50 to 60% VO2 max) that there for about 2 months with diet, and i'm good to go

footballfam

Awards
Thanks for the input. My nutrition intake has drastically changed in the last year. I know diet is number 1. I understand what you mean by fat not weight. I just keep getting stuck on a number. I do need to focus more in that direction. Not that it should be hard to do, my flabby rearend follows me everywhere.:booty:

This site has been great for info. I know will have more questions as I go.

:thanks:Stephanie

footballfam

Awards
i have read that EPOC is higher when doing cardio in the evening.
I have noticed when I run in the evening, I seem to need to take a few deep breaths every now and then for a couple of hours afterwards.

BMCLouzee

My routine calls for two sessions of cardio, but I will say that I perform better cardio (and weightlifting for that matter) in the mornings. I do my weightlifting and then 45 minutes of high intensity cardio in the morning and I dilly dally with 1 hour of low intensity cardio in the evenings. I got started with this habit because of the boyfriend. I enjoy it so far. It keeps me in check and prevents me from slacking.

DaSlixter

DaSlixter

Awards
Cmon people MORNING! Doing cardio first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, before you eat anything, is by far, the most effective. doing it first thing in the morning is the best time to do it for maximum fat loss that is. When you do your cardio workout, you are burning calories. Lets say you wake up, eat breakfast, eat lunch later in the day, and then a few hours after lunch, you do your cardio. All you will be doing during that cardio is burning the calories and carbs of the food you just ate. When you do cardio first thing in the morning, you haven't eaten anything for the last 8 or so hours because you were sleeping. So, when your body sees that there are no carbs to burn, it goes directly to stored bodyfat. And stored bodyfat is the fat that is on your body, which is the fat that you want to lose. I also heard during sleep your body burns off some kind of glucose, so when you wake up all thats left to burn is fat, but once you eat breakfast the glucose builds up again, or something like that.

orangerain

Awards
I think it all depends on you what time of the day you feel most comfortable doing your cardio. If you like running every morning, then that's fine. I don't think there's any difference.