new to working out

maddog28

Awards
  • Established
my girlfriend is new to working out nd shes in good shape from sorts but what would b a good workout plan for her plz give me advice because what i do is to much of a heavy weghit lifting program.... plz give me a good work out for her thanx

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Heavy weight won't hurt a chick. Some of the sexiest women I know can pull/squat/bench a good deal.

Rosie, BW, and the other ladies will chime in, I'm sure but general rules for women are pretty much what they are for men. Just don't go makin' her do db flies, like I see so many guys instruct their chicks. :)

orangerain

Awards
I just do 30-45 minutes of cardio thrice a week (or everyday if I have spare time) and do weights twice/thrice a week, but not on consecutive days. It works well for me, steady loss of weight.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my girlfriend is new to working out nd shes in good shape from sorts but what would b a good workout plan for her plz give me advice because what i do is to much of a heavy weghit lifting program.... plz give me a good work out for her thanx
2-3 days of resistance training should be enough for her, seeing as she is a beginner. Lifting heavy should be fine, as lifting heavy is relative tot eh individual. She needs to start out acclimatizing herself to weights, though, so 10-12 reps for each exercise for ~4 weeks would be a good start. I would suggest Full-Body sessions, concentrating on the multijoint compound lifts and concentrating on form. Check out the programme sample for a beginner on my website in the article The 3 Keys to Fat Loss. Depending on her goals, the rest of the information in this article will benefit her as well.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

Antigravity

Antigravity

Awards
A couple thoughts:
The ultimate difference between a guy and a girl routine is the weight itself.
Warming up is important and there are several ways to do it from super light weights, cardio or stretching, depending on her goals.
As a beginner she may enjoy a few key moves- compounds. They tend to have a pretty good full-body recomping effect, however what is most important is what she finds enjoyable or fun. When I first began at the gym- I had a routine that included:
Curl Machine, Ab workout (crunch and reverse crunch), Smith machine overhead presses, Pec deck (i think its called), Bench press, Tricep rope thing, Lat pulldown, and Rows (i didnt do legs because I long distance cycle).

The circuit style routine was: set: 3x and reps: 10,6,8. lighter/heavy/medium.
However she could benefit from the traditional 10,8,6 as well. Or any combo-
I chose the 10,6,8 because I felt I got best of both worlds- reps and weight. So - that I wasnt tired by my last set I moved the heaviest set in the middle- and closed with a medium weight for medium length.
for aided fatloss- you can superset a pair of workouts, because it requires a certain level of endurance...as I am sure you have felt that your heart rate increases after a superset.

This routine helped me get acclimaited to weights, as well as gave me an overall understanding of the kinematics of training.
I think its important to use free weights, however I think that using machines really helps understand the way your body works as they are designed to be user-completed-machines. That is they cannot work without a specific movement that is provided by the user. Machines IMO, teach good form. Machines can also be fun/entertaining for a beginner.
Another encouraging thing is having a training partner (you)- trust me it can get very boring some days when you always train alone or dont know anyone at your gym.

Best,
A.

maddog28

Awards
  • Established
thanx tht really helps good post...cuz i would always show her the stuff id do nd she didnt find it interesting so tht makes alot of sense tht she has to do things that she will find fun.. this is great cuz i love to lift nd train so i would be up at the gym for an hour or 2 nd she would never want to come because after she did cardio nd stuff shed b done in about 45 min and i was like im only half way done since im 17 nd i drive nd she dosent i was her ride she she would stop comming with me but now i can really get her into it thanx