I need help losing weight....

shmerica

Awards
Well im very new at this, but im really determined to lose weight and need alot of help. I prevously signed up at the gym and got a personal trainer. Spent about 2300 on the trainer and still have the gym membership but i dont go. But now im so determined that i want to lose weight fast so im thinking of eating healthy and working out. Please let me know your advise as im new and know nothing about diets. It will be very well appreciated.

My stat:

Height: 5'0

Weight: Last time I checked was about 138 but im guessing im now at 145.

Goal: I wanna lose 25-30 pounds

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But now im so determined that i want to lose weight fast
Right off the bat, scratch that idea. You don't want to lose weight fast, you want to build the habits that will have you eating right and looking the way you want the rest of your life. You didn't get to the weight you are now in 3 months, so losing it in 3 months isn't necessary. Heres my overall diet idea - Learn to eat right. the following is mostly cut + paste :)

you have habits, and you need to shed old ones and create new ones. If you want this to really work, you need to make the changes in your life over time so that each one becomes a new habit and each one becomes a part of how you will live the rest of your life. You aren't going on a diet, you are changing the way you eat.

You needs to forget about "dieting" and instead learn how to eat. You can't view what you are doing as a phase or something you'll stop once she reaches x goal, it has to be a change of life. Otherwise, when you hit that goal you won't have learned to eat a way you enjoy, and will very likely go back to eating poorly and gain weight back.

All you really needs to do is eat less than what your maintenance is, and over time you'll get there. You should target either one meal or one of your weak food points every 3-4 weeks to change, and the same with exercises. That gives you enough time to have adjusted to the last change and have it feel like a normal part of life. If you wants faster results, remind yourself of how long it took you to get to that size. If it takes you 18 months to get down to 120 from 145 you are at now, so what? You'll hit 120 at a diet and exercise level that you can keep up the rest of your life and be happy with.

here is some referential stuff to think about, or pick up this book. They have it and some of the variations on it at Sams Club even

I feel like I've posted this a thousand times but here it goes again :)

So do you eat the muffin normally and then eat a ton of other stuff as well? or do you eat 1/3 of the pile of fruit and save the rest for later?

Do you have the tart for 440 cals or just one bowl of the raspberries for 55 cals?

Do you end up eating all the things on the left side, instead of the meal on the right side that ends up being 1/3 the calories?

This is from Dr Randy Shapiro's Picture Perfect Weight Loss

http://pictureperfectweightloss.com/

So for now, think about a day of how you ate before you started this diet. Think about how you'd like to eat. And then start thinking about how you can eat in a way you can sustain over the next 60+ years of your life while looking the way you want to look :)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well im very new at this, but im really determined to lose weight and need alot of help. I prevously signed up at the gym and got a personal trainer. Spent about 2300 on the trainer and still have the gym membership but i dont go. But now im so determined that i want to lose weight fast so im thinking of eating healthy and working out. Please let me know your advise as im new and know nothing about diets. It will be very well appreciated.

My stat:

Height: 5'0

Weight: Last time I checked was about 138 but im guessing im now at 145.

Goal: I wanna lose 25-30 pounds

Eric is absolutely right: You want to build habits that become a LIFESTYLE.

1. If you had a personal trainer why did you STOP using them and why do you not go to the gym when you have access??? If your trainer was any good then their programme would have worked. You are not going to lose fat NOT going to the gym (if you are not resistance training).

2. Never focus on weight loss; concentrate on FAT loss, since your body composition is more important. Find out what you % of bodyfat is; set your goal on what you want it to be and be realistic re timeframe. This means that 25-30lb may not be ideal re weight to lose.

3. You should NOT be dieting. Diets don't work for long. You should be lifestyle eating.

4. Read The 3 Keys to Fat Loss; it tells you everything you need to know re diet and exercise for FAT loss.

5. Once you've read that article then it's easy enough to put something together, but I DO recommend that you get yourself a fitness management consultant or personal trainer (good for accountability as well as being an outside source of motivation) who KNOWS what they're doing and work from there. Get them to explain everything that they do for how and how it is relevant for you and going to help you with your goals.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All of the info you need has really been well covered here. I can say from experience that I have been working on major changes since February this year and made it from ~230 down to right at 200. Take a look at the time frame there to lose 30 pounds and keep in mind I did this slowly for a reason, it is safe and I have NO loose skin. Moreover, it takes a while to learn what your body is telling you as you make lifestyle and dietary changes before you can adjust to get optimal results. One thing to consider when looking at my progress is this, I focused more on maintaining and gaining muscle while losing fat. I am sure this slowed my progress and for the last month or so I have been at ~201 pounds but I have continued to burn fat and pack on muscle.

Have realistic goals, they are a great motivator and keep you in check when you are tired and don't want to go workout/do cardio when you know you have to if you want to stay on track. Sure I want to be a lean and mean 190 at 10% bodyfat but I have at least another 8% to go and that is not going to happen until early next year for me because I am not going to make any drastic cuts to get there. Research, ask questions on here, learn to eat right and track your calorie intake (fitday.com and dailyburn.com are great references), and get yourself to the gym! Once you get started you will look forward to your training sessions more and more because the results will show. Last comment, the mirror is your best judge not the scale.

BJohnson88

Awards
Like previously stated, losing weight is a long term battle. Start building healthy food eating habits. You should try to drink at least 8oz of water a day (which everyone should be doing for good health.. lol). Another tip you probably have heard is to eat 5-6 times a day, and focus on food portion. I recently made a diet plan for my girlfriend, for example on Mondays:

GOAL- 1200 calories
Breakfast: (9:00 AM)
2 slices whole wheat toast with 1 tsp butter
1/2 cup fruit ****tail
8 oz (1 cup) fat free milk

Snack: (11:00 AM)
1 medium sized banana

Lunch: (1:00 PM)
Salad (Tomato, cucumber, lettuce) 2 tbs lite dressing
handfull mixed nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc)

Dinner: (5:00 PM)
3.5 oz chicken breast (skinless boneless) cook in griller
1 cup broccoli
1/2 cup brown rice

Snack: (9:00 PM)
1/2 cup carrots or celery

If you MUST turn to supplements, avoid diet pills with caffeine. One particular product that I have used myself and prefer is UltraLean FX by BioRythm (visit their website). Any B vitamins will help boost your metabolism, and are good for natural energy as well. Many friends have also had success with the amino acid L-Carnitine. (This is a naturally occuring amino acid in the body that helps with fat metabolism). I am actually getting ready to try a bottle of this out myself, so I will keep you informed of how it works for me. L-Carnitine though would be best in the liquid form. Hope this post helps you out a little, and good luck!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This diet is from Oschner for patients that need to lose weight before heart surgery.
A friend of mine is on this diet and so far it's doing what it says. Definately not for those wanting to gain mass, but for all you dieters out there trying to lose a few pounds, it may help.

This diet is to be done 3 days at a time. In 3 days you will lose 10lbs. After 3 days of dieting, you can eat your normal foods. But do not over do it!!

After 4 or 5 days of normal foods, start on your 3 day diet again. You can lose up to 40lbs a month if you stick to it.
The 10lb that you lose every 3 days is from water and food weight. Minimal of that will be from fat (and you're more likely to lose muscle before any fat). Weight loss is also going to come from muscle, as that is barely 800 calories per day and you're not eating often enough nor getting in enough protein. Very unhealthy, IMO, and definitely NOT what you want to do if you want to KEEP any weight off and be successful in FAT loss (as opposed to weight loss).

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

jim623

The 10lb that you lose every 3 days is from water and food weight. Minimal of that will be from fat (and you're more likely to lose muscle before any fat). Weight loss is also going to come from muscle, as that is barely 800 calories per day and you're not eating often enough nor getting in enough protein. Very unhealthy, IMO, and definitely NOT what you want to do if you want to KEEP any weight off and be successful in FAT loss (as opposed to weight loss).

~Rosie
Team APPNUT
Be that as it may, Bill is down 17lbs. in 2 weeks and he looks slimmer to me.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trust me when I say that that 17lb lost is food, water, and muscle. He looks slimmer because any bloat or water retention caused by food will be gone (and yes, you'd be surprised what a different that can make!) If he loses muscle he will also be smaller. If they were also quite large to begin with then their weight loss will be more than a smaller individual. Like I said, that's an easy way to lose WEIGHT, but if you want fat loss (which is NOT what those who have been told to follow this diet are looking for) then you need to use another method. You can't argue with science.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, when the OP says she's an obese patient going in for heart surgery, then she should take your advice :rolleyes:

Of course any diet that has significantly less than maintenance calories will have you loose weight duh. that doesn't mean its a good idea or healthy or maintainable...

jim623

Trust me when I say that that 17lb lost is food, water, and muscle. He looks slimmer because any bloat or water retention caused by food will be gone (and yes, you'd be surprised what a different that can make!) If he loses muscle he will also be smaller. If they were also quite large to begin with then their weight loss will be more than a smaller individual. Like I said, that's an easy way to lose WEIGHT, but if you want fat loss (which is NOT what those who have been told to follow this diet are looking for) then you need to use another method. You can't argue with science.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT
Cool, I'm done with that, post deleted.