Can a female bodybuilder get pregnant???

Overall62

Overall62

Awards
I am 39 years old, so i don't have alot of time left. I am a national level bodybuilder. I'm 5'7" and 185lbs. I have taken a variety of anabolic and androgenic steroids in the past, haven't had my period for years. My fiance' wants to have children......my question is: How long do i have to be off of everything before it's safe for me to get pregnant. I know i'll get my period after 3 months of being off.....but i'm not sure it would be safe as far as having a normal healthy baby. ???? Can anyone help me....my Doctors arent too knowledgeable about women on steroids.

THANKS

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am 39 years old, so i don't have alot of time left. I am a national level bodybuilder. I'm 5'7" and 185lbs. I have taken a variety of anabolic and androgenic steroids in the past, haven't had my period for years. My fiance' wants to have children......my question is: How long do i have to be off of everything before it's safe for me to get pregnant. I know i'll get my period after 3 months of being off.....but i'm not sure it would be safe as far as having a normal healthy baby. ???? Can anyone help me....my Doctors arent too knowledgeable about women on steroids.

THANKS
Female bodybuilders can get pregnant, yes. However, if you've been using steroids for years, then you have a risk of being infertile, even if you DO get your period back after 3 months of stopping usage (so you may want to find out whether or not you are fertile first). As far as having a normal healthy baby, if you were fertile and still using you would risk pseudohermanphroditism and growth issues with the foetus. Not sure whether these risks would apply if you were NOT using, but had been for years.

killfat

killfat

Awards
I agree, good advice. Just because you get your period back doesn't mean your eggs are viable and you are a healthy person.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
You may want to take a trip to your nearest fertility doctor. It's going to be somewhat difficult to get her/him to test you and you not give in to why you want to be tested. Especially with fertility doctors, the insurances are a bit edgy, they want to know EVERYTHING and any reason to why before they are going to pay one silver nickel. If, by somehow, you are infertile, they may offer vitro or some other form. But, let me say, it does get expensive to do the cycles to try and get preg.

My wife and I might be looking into that route depending on if her fibroid operation caused any damage (the fibroids, not the procedure). We've been told that it would cost about 500 bucks a cycle, and probably 4-5 cycles dependent on what she needs.