Need advice for planning workouts for my mom

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
My mom is over 40 with a history of lower back pain. I think she's capable of a lot more than she does but she's gotten so used to "taking it easy" that I think she's lost muscle tone that would otherwise help to alleviate some of her lower back pain. I think if she could strengthen her core and spinal erectors that she would have less back pain.

She's wanting to do some cardio, which I think is a good idea, but what's a good weights regimen that I could put her on? I'm thinking light cardio 2-3 times per week and maybe a full body workout 2 times a week to start off with, but I've got a different mindset when it comes to training.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance for any help!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
My mom is over 40 with a history of lower back pain. I think she's capable of a lot more than she does but she's gotten so used to "taking it easy" that I think she's lost muscle tone that would otherwise help to alleviate some of her lower back pain. I think if she could strengthen her core and spinal erectors that she would have less back pain.

She's wanting to do some cardio, which I think is a good idea, but what's a good weights regimen that I could put her on? I'm thinking light cardio 2-3 times per week and maybe a full body workout 2 times a week to start off with, but I've got a different mindset when it comes to training.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance for any help!
You want to do exercises that are essentially going to work on "rehabbing" her back. Lower back pain can be caused by many things, including a weak core, tight hamstrings, tilts in the pelvis, leg length discrepancies, poor posture, past/current injuries, etc.

"Having muscle" is not necessarily gong to alleviate any back pain. Finding out what the CAUSE of her back pain is, and then working on correcting the problem WILL.

Cardio 2-3 times a week should be fine. ~30 minutes a session. Moderate intensity. Doing exercises that will not aggravate her back (i.e. no cycling).

As for resistance training, as I said, some weights, but more of a "rehabilitation" programme, once the cause of her back pain is discovered. However, a full-body floor programme could work quite well. Include exercises that involve proprioception (i.e. squats), hip abduction and adduction, hip flexion and extension, core (i.e. abs), back (upper, middle - especially rhomboids, lower, erector spinae). Progress "hardness" of exercises as she can do them without pain and/or good form. Theraband, cables and DB exercises would work quite well.

Also make sure that she is stretching as well.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
You want to do exercises that are essentially going to work on "rehabbing" her back. Lower back pain can be caused by many things, including a weak core, tight hamstrings, tilts in the pelvis, leg length discrepancies, poor posture, past/current injuries, etc.

"Having muscle" is not necessarily gong to alleviate any back pain. Finding out what the CAUSE of her back pain is, and then working on correcting the problem WILL.

Cardio 2-3 times a week should be fine. ~30 minutes a session. Moderate intensity. Doing exercises that will not aggravate her back (i.e. no cycling).

As for resistance training, as I said, some weights, but more of a "rehabilitation" programme, once the cause of her back pain is discovered. However, a full-body floor programme could work quite well. Include exercises that involve proprioception (i.e. squats), hip abduction and adduction, hip flexion and extension, core (i.e. abs), back (upper, middle - especially rhomboids, lower, erector spinae). Progress "hardness" of exercises as she can do them without pain and/or good form. Theraband, cables and DB exercises would work quite well.

Also make sure that she is stretching as well.
Thanks for the info..

Also, the cause of her back pain is due to a previous fall which lead to some bone spurs in her coccyx. So knowing that, would you recommend anything different?

DrMorris

DrMorris

Awards
In my years in practice I have never seen a case of low back pain that was caused by bone spurs in the coccyx. The first step might need to be a proper diagnosis. That said, I would follow the 10% rule. For example: If she can walk 10 min with no symptoms, she should only increase by 10% or 1 min the next week. This seems like a slow progression, but is needed to avoid further injury in an unconditioned person. Take it slow and keep the inpact low on whatever cardio she does.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thanks for the info..

Also, the cause of her back pain is due to a previous fall which lead to some bone spurs in her coccyx. So knowing that, would you recommend anything different?
No worries.

I wouldn't recommend anything different, except that try and avoid exercises where she is sitting down, as this could aggravate the pain. However, sounds like she never rehabilitated her fall, and is suffering now (although the spurs would not be what is giving her lower back pain).

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Actually I just found out that it's herniated disks. At some point she had bone spurs on her coccyx that were putting pressure on some nerves, or something like that.

Sorry..

I think she has two herniated disks in her lower back. How does that affect an exercise regimen?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Rehabilitation Programme (Phases II to IV) for Herniated Discs

Actually I just found out that it's herniated disks. At some point she had bone spurs on her coccyx that were putting pressure on some nerves, or something like that.

Sorry..

I think she has two herniated disks in her lower back. How does that affect an exercise regimen?
Ok, so that makes a difference. Make sure she's doing a progressive rehabilitation programme that includes proprioeception, flexibility, strength, cardio, and stretching.

I have attached a general overview of what such a programme (Phases II-IV, since Phase I is only a few days and more about managing the pain) would look like, but you should see a professional to write and monitor her programme, especially if she's older.

Attachments

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Second that
Well, some of us here are qualified and could do it, but she really needs someone who can PHYSICALLY be there to test her and monitor her rehabilitation programme to judge progress, etc.

The OP just writing something would not be adequate, especially if he has no knowledge and experience of dealing with injuries and rehabilitation.