Newbie-Pageant Training..help appreciated

blustang

Awards
I have left everything open because I am completely lost...I have a gym membership..can go as much as needed...I just need a kick start in the right direction.\..ok...hes my situation

20 yrs old...5'2...110-ish lbs (36-25-37)...very skinny build with the fat around stomach and thighs...and unfortunately not much of a butt..I am going to be doing my state USA pageant in Janurary..and obviously I seriously need to tone up my body...but the thing is...I have absolutely no previous experience in working out or building/toning muscle...Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on some cardio and weight training exercise for overall tone..legs..arms...abs...back..everything...even some diet advice would be great..im lost... :006:

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have left everything open because I am completely lost...I have a gym membership..can go as much as needed...I just need a kick start in the right direction.\..ok...hes my situation

20 yrs old...5'2...110-ish lbs (36-25-37)...very skinny build with the fat around stomach and thighs...and unfortunately not much of a butt..I am going to be doing my state USA pageant in Janurary..and obviously I seriously need to tone up my body...but the thing is...I have absolutely no previous experience in working out or building/toning muscle...Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on some cardio and weight training exercise for overall tone..legs..arms...abs...back..everything...even some diet advice would be great..im lost... :006:
You are my height and weight. Not sure you would call that a "skinny build" though, or that you don't have "much of a butt" with those measurements.

First, toning is (and it really is the wrong term to use):
a. losing bodyfat (BF),
b. gaining muscle mass, or
c. doing a and b simultaneously.

Some threads that you should read (different information in each):
* http://anabolicminds.com/forum/female-fitness/122489-new-forum-need.html (especially post #4; I cover everything from diet to resistance training to cardio in this post; and since you are a complete beginner, the exercise sample plan given will apply to you)
* http://anabolicminds.com/forum/female-fitness/121648-newbie-help-toning.html
* http://anabolicminds.com/forum/female-fitness/120242-losing-body-fat.html

Otherwise, if you're SERIOUS about your pageant, the best thing that you can do (and I highly advise it) is to get yourself a personal trainer who REALLY knows their stuff, and use them (after all, their job is to help you achieve your health, fitness, sporting, and body goals). A personal trainer will also be good in showing you how to perform the correct technique/form for each exercise, instead of you trying it yourself and doing it all wrong.

8 months is plenty of time to do things right and get the results that you want.

Also, depending on what the pageant is, you may want to ask a judge ro someone involved in that pageant WHAT kind of LOOK they are wanting, since there's no point coming in as something completely opposite to what they "require" (i.e. lean and hard and muscular, when they want "toned" and fitness-like and feminine).

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
maybe some tips on how to find a "good" personal trainer? reps for a great answer to the OP guejsn.

blustang

Awards
I have someone to help me with form and whatnot..unfortunately he is not all too sure on what types of weight training I can do to prevent over building muscle..He is a firm believer in cardio..running to be exact..and other than that I just do the same things he does with less weight..but HE is my 6'2 195 lbs b/f and he is nothing but muscle (like &% bodyfat)...so its a little harder for me to lose fat and build muscle than it is for him...he just told me to do some research on exercises and diets that will help me to lose the body fat and gain muscle mass...and google doesnt seem to know much :)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have someone to help me with form and whatnot..unfortunately he is not all too sure on what types of weight training I can do to prevent over building muscle..He is a firm believer in cardio..running to be exact..and other than that I just do the same things he does with less weight..but HE is my 6'2 195 lbs b/f and he is nothing but muscle (like &% bodyfat)...so its a little harder for me to lose fat and build muscle than it is for him...he just told me to do some research on exercises and diets that will help me to lose the body fat and gain muscle mass...and google doesnt seem to know much :)
First, there is no "different" types of weight training. You can change your training depending on your GOAL (i.e. hypertrophy, strength, endurance, etc.), but lifting weight sis lifting weights.

Second, you won't "overbuild" muscle, trust me. To build muscle you ahve to be EATING for it, and most females do NOT do this (no matter how "much" they think they eat). And it is a lot harder for a female than a male to gain muscle because of the differences in our hormone make-up.

Third, cardio is NOT that important (unless you want to improve or maintain cardiovascular health). To get the body you want you are better off doing RESISTANCE training (and eating right; this is the KEY component).

Fourth, I wouldn't suggest that you just do the same things he does. Who's to say that he's training right? (And if he's overzealous on the cardio, then I wouldn't say he was). And besides, he should be training for HIS goals, which might not be right for YOU.

Fifth, losing BF and gaining muscle is a very long, slow process (yes, even for a male), since they are at OPPOSITE ends of the diet spectrum. If you're trying to achieve BOTH at once, then you MUST have your DIET manipulated exactly RIGHT.

Lastly, ALL the information you need on diet and exercise to achieve your goals are listed in post #4 in the first thread that I mentioned in my earlier post. I suggest that you actually READ it.

blustang

Awards
Great! I have been reading it and it makes alot of sense. I guess ive just always thought that the only way you can lose fat that is already there is to run/do cardio to burn it off..Hmm..well ive definately learned something new..Thank you!!!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great! I have been reading it and it makes alot of sense. I guess ive just always thought that the only way you can lose fat that is already there is to run/do cardio to burn it off..Hmm..well ive definately learned something new..Thank you!!!
No worries.

This is a very common MISconception. which is why you see a lot of females who do endless hours of cardio and NEVER change at all!!!

As mentioned, fat loss (or muscle gain) is predominantly determined by your DIET (and if you don't get that right, then you can train as much as you like and not get the results you want!)

And yeah, resistance training is much better overall for your health AND achieving body goals.

UKStrength

Very common misconception, the resistance training will help you build/retain what lean muscle tissue you have, this augments the fat-burning process as muscle tissue burns fat constantly, so you want as much as you can get!

Plus good resistance training stimulates other 'fat burning' hormones such as growth hormone, noradrenaline, glucagon etc. :) cardiovascular training really doesn't do it to a great degree.

So listen to Rosie and lift your weights! Good luck with attaining your dream physique.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 7
Training Forum 6
Anabolics 4
Supplements 4
Anabolics 9