Skinny for Summer Plan - Need Advice

  1. New Member
    Zukkini's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    78
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    37.5%

    Skinny for Summer Plan - Need Advice


    2009 marks the first year I've gotten serious about being informed on losing weight, getting fit, and varying it up in the gym. I owe it all the to the forums and articles. The advice has been great.
    Today marks the first day I've mustered up the courage to get specific about my goals and ask for help.

    So here goes:
    I'm currently somewhere around 135 and I would like to be 120. I'm 5'3''. 125 is the short term goal, I would like to be 125 in 8 weeks. I don't know if I will ever get to 120, I have a feeling that last 5lbs is going to be stubborn.

    I'd like to have very defined muscle. I would love to have abs, but I know that will take time and I'll have to lose a lot of body fat.

    So here's my diet and exercise plan and I was wondering if I could get some opinion as to whether or not it's effective for reaching my goals.

    Everyday Diet:

    Breakfast:
    (4) Egg Whites, 1 Piece of Turkey Bacon

    Snack:
    Sugar Free Jello
    Sometimes (especially if I've worked out B4 Work) I have half a chicken breast

    Lunch:
    Chicken Breast
    Salad with black olives or cheese with little to no ranch dressing.

    Snack:
    Sugar Free Jello
    Something else random like a protein bar or a plain hot dog or cottage cheese.

    Dinner:
    Chicken Breast or some egg white/cheese/bacon concoction
    Usually another salad with cheese and sour cream

    After Dinner Snack
    Sugar Free Icecream or a Low-Carb Wrap with cream cheese and sugarfree jam.

    Workout Schedule:

    Mondays:
    Lift Weights - Chest and Tri's. 10 minutes of running at least, always some abs, always forearms.

    Tuesdays - Jujitsu 2 Hours - Always intense cardio

    Wednesdays - Bi's and Shoulders. 10 minutes of running at least, always some abs, always forearms.

    Thursdays - Jujitsu 2 Hours -Always intense cardio

    Fridays - Karate/Jujitsu 2 Hours

    Saturdays -Back and Legs. 10 minutes of running at least, always some abs, always forearms.

    I'm trying to do some 5k's and 10k's this year, so I'm running for at least 20 minutes twice a week in the mornings. I want to up that to 3 mornings a week.
    Also, I'm going to get a spin bike and I want to start doing HIIT 2-3 times a week for 20 min.

    Anyway, that's the plan if I do everything right. I've been doing that diet for the past month and it's working out. I don't give myself a regular cheat day, the occassion to cheat normally comes around every two weeks - like this weekend I was very sick and needed comfort food or two weekends ago I had a jujitsu tournament and ate whatever was available.

    I would appreciate any and all help/criticisms - what I would really like to know is if people think it would get me to my goal. I'm very much an ameature at this and have gleaned my plan from observing the experienced people on this site.

    Things I'm too afraid to do:
    Take a "Before" picture
    Take Body Measurements
    Get a Body Fat Measurement

    I know I need to do these things - I just really don't want to know!!

  2. Advanced Member
    MMAMONSTER19's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    551
    Rep Power
    352
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    75.31%

    alright well first off your training looks like its on but since your doing the ju-jitsu with intense cardio i would try to add more protein and a lil more cals to your diet when i did ju-jitsu training for just 2 weeks ive never had such an exhausting day so definately up that a lil and maybe your carbs for some energy, this is just my opinion tho you dont have to take it. for your workouts how you have the lifting like chest and tris and then atleast 10 mins of cardio try throwing in 5mins before your workout and then another ten at the end when i started that i really saw the pounds come off if you have everything else in line. i dont like that you have back and legs on the same day only if your doing like deads and squats two of the biggest mass building compounds and helping gain muscle are those exercises so i would try to split them up if your doin those and if your workouts are really that intense. instead of doin bi's and shoulders do bi's and back and then do shoulders and legs for your workout might workout better for ya. other than that definately get your measurements and your pic you dont gotta post it on here but its good to have so at the end of like 3 months you can look back at your progress. and my question is what kind of exercies do you do for your workouts? thats another big role playing key in your training wanna post your workouts up??
  3. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  116 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,186
    Rep Power
    493835
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    53.4%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Exclamation Oh my...


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    2009 marks the first year I've gotten serious about being informed on losing weight, getting fit, and varying it up in the gym. I owe it all the to the forums and articles. The advice has been great.
    Today marks the first day I've mustered up the courage to get specific about my goals and ask for help.
    Good for you. I would actually recommend that you get a personal trainer, if you're really that serious about it. Also, if you're planning on running competitively, then get a trainer or coach!


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    So here goes:
    I'm currently somewhere around 135 and I would like to be 120. I'm 5'3''. 125 is the short term goal, I would like to be 125 in 8 weeks. I don't know if I will ever get to 120, I have a feeling that last 5lbs is going to be stubborn.

    I'd like to have very defined muscle. I would love to have abs, but I know that will take time and I'll have to lose a lot of body fat.
    Why so focussed on the WEIGHT? You SHOULD be more concerned with body composition. Anyways, if you were to go by the recommendation of losing 0.5kg per week, then your short-term goal of getting to 125lb would be achieved in 10 weeks (8 weeks may be pushing it, but you could do it; however, the slower you lose the weight the more lkely it is to STAY off). getting to 120lb should be no problem for you, and you could do that easily within 14-16 weeks (provided that your diet and training, but emphasis on DIET was good).

    If you want to get "defined muscle and abs", then you need to HAVE the muscle there to see when you lose bodyfat (BF). If you don't have the muscle in your midsection them you willl never see "abs" regardless of how lean you get.

    I suggest you concentrate on getting to a certain BF% instead of on weight.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    So here's my diet and exercise plan and I was wondering if I could get some opinion as to whether or not it's effective for reaching my goals.

    Everyday Diet:

    Breakfast:
    (4) Egg Whites, 1 Piece of Turkey Bacon

    Snack:
    Sugar Free Jello
    Sometimes (especially if I've worked out B4 Work) I have half a chicken breast

    Lunch:
    Chicken Breast
    Salad with black olives or cheese with little to no ranch dressing.

    Snack:
    Sugar Free Jello
    Something else random like a protein bar or a plain hot dog or cottage cheese.

    Dinner:
    Chicken Breast or some egg white/cheese/bacon concoction
    Usually another salad with cheese and sour cream

    After Dinner Snack
    Sugar Free Icecream or a Low-Carb Wrap with cream cheese and sugarfree jam.
    Your diet is absolute crap, honestly. You have the protein part right. As for everything else...For a start you're NOT eating ENOUGH (you don't need to starve to get lean). Two, too much junk (jello, ice-cream, etc.). Three, where are your carbohydrates (CHO)? If you're planning on running 5km and 10km AND competing in jujitsu then you NEED CHO for energy.

    You compete in jujitsu. Your diet should be concentarted on being the best for that so that you can perfom at your best. And doing that much training/exercise for it shall help with calorie expenditure.

    Otherwise: Diet tips for fat loss (and this CAN be done sensibly, and with ENOUGH energy for what you need):

    1. First, you need to work out what your MAINTENANCE calories are (There are various methods and equations that you can use to calculate this; most take into account current body mass, height, and activity level). Then, to lose fat, you need to make sure that youíre having up to 500 calories LESS than maintenance. Depending on how fast or slow you lose the fat, you can adjust and tweak your calorie intake each week.
    2. Eat every 2-3 hours after waking. This helps keep the metabolism going throughout the day, as well as keeping insulin levels stable (so, you can see that 3 meals is simply NOT enough, even small portions).
    3. EVERY meal should have complex carbohydrates [CHO] (i.e. kumara, rice, oats, etc.), QUALITY LEAN protein (chicken breast, fish, tuna, salmon, lean beef, egg whites, etc.), and FIBROUS CHO (i.e. vegetables, green ones in particular).
    4. Drink 4.5 litres of water per day. This will help keep the system clean.
    5. It has been proven that TWO servings of DAIRY per day helps lose MORE fat than if one avoids it altogether.
    6. Do NOT avoid fat (The only fat she should be avoiding is Saturated fat and Trans fats). You NEED fat in your diet, as fat plays major roles in energy metabolism and other parts of your body (Wardlaw & Hampl, 2007). Make sure to have at least 30 grams of GOOD fats (i.e. flaxseeds or flaxseed oil, fish oils, peanut butter, nuts - especially almonds and walnuts, hempseed oil, olive oil, etc.) per day (i.e. this is ~2 tbsp of flaxseed oil or peanut butter).
    7. Donít drink tea or coffee. Try drinking GREEN tea instead; it helps with thermogenesis, and is especially good if you take it one hour before doing cardio first thing in the morning.
    8. Donít drink alcohol. Alcohol has NO nutritional value and is full of calories.
    9. Minimize adding salt to food. Instead, flavour a meal with herbs and spices (i.e. ginger, cumin, cayenne pepper, curry powder, chilli powder, and garlic all help thermogenesis a bit).
    10. The only sugar needed on a regular basis is the NATURAL sugars found in food; these are mostly found in fruit. Too much sugar plays havoc with insulin levels and these should be as stable as possible throughout the day. The best time to be having sugar is straight AFTER a RESISTANCE workout, when the body is trying to replenish muscle glycogen stores (Burke, 2006).
    11. Do NOT avoid CHO. You NEED at least 50-100 grams of CHO per day for your body to burn fat effectively. A good guideline is to have at least 1 gram of CHO per kg of body mass per day as a MINIMUM (Burke, 2006).
    12. Eat most food as 'natural' as possible. This means fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, grains, etc. Try not to eat too much packaged food, as it is full of extra calories and sugar.
    13. Most importantly, remember that it IS OK TO CHEAT every now and then. Actually the body NEEDS cheat meals and day. By throwing all the guidelines I have just mentioned above out of the way and having a day where you eat what you want it helps, and will also help prevent your body from going into starvation mode (where the body battles you to hold onto the fat as much as it can). If you prefer NOT to Ďcheatí, then adding in 1-2 higher CALORIE days (i.e. go up to Maintenance, or even Bulking, or even slightly higher), with the extra calories coming from quality COMPLEX CHO, you should be ok.

    Supplements should NOT be a big deal, as most fat loss can be done through simply eating the right food at the right time. And unless everything that youíre doing is already done to ensure the maximum results in the timeframe that you want to achieve it in, and then supplementation should not be the focus. However, there ARE a few supplements that I think are important to any regime:

    1. A multivitamin. (Although you should be eating as much of a variety of food as possible, in order to meet the RDI/AI of most nutrients from actual food).
    2. Creatine monohydrate. Creatine helps the body to recover faster, as well as aiding in increasing strength levels and lean body mass [LBM].
    3. Flaxseed/Hempseed/Fish Oil. This is the GOOD fats. Flaxseed or Hempseed oil is great with breakfast or in protein shakes.
    4. Protein Powder. This just helps for the in-between meals, or after the gym, and to make sure that you get enough protein in (You should be having 1-1.5 grams of protein per kg of body mass per day; this is so that muscle loss is prevented, and can even assist in small gains in LBM).

    I think that calorie cycling would be the best option for you re diet, especially if you want to lose BF AND compete in jujitsu AND run on top of that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    Workout Schedule:

    Mondays:
    Lift Weights - Chest and Tri's. 10 minutes of running at least, always some abs, always forearms.

    Tuesdays - Jujitsu 2 Hours - Always intense cardio

    Wednesdays - Bi's and Shoulders. 10 minutes of running at least, always some abs, always forearms.

    Thursdays - Jujitsu 2 Hours -Always intense cardio

    Fridays - Karate/Jujitsu 2 Hours

    Saturdays -Back and Legs. 10 minutes of running at least, always some abs, always forearms.

    I'm trying to do some 5k's and 10k's this year, so I'm running for at least 20 minutes twice a week in the mornings. I want to up that to 3 mornings a week.
    Also, I'm going to get a spin bike and I want to start doing HIIT 2-3 times a week for 20 min.
    For a start, if you are competitive in jujitsu, then why isn't your resistance training set up to make you better in that?

    Two, you DON'T need to do so much cardio, especially on top of your jujitsu training.

    Three, to build the muscle in your abs you need to train them, but not endless repetitions or every day or as often as you are. Twice a week for ~100 reps a session is how I got my 6-pack. Doing weighted exercises is the best way to help get them as well: weighted crunches, hanging knee raises, etc. Also doing the huge exercises like squats, deadlifts, etc., because they use your core and force it to work and become stronger.

    Four, your training outside of your jujitsu is all over the place. You don't need to do spin or extra running. You really need to decide WHAT you are trying to train FOR first before you set up a training programme.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    Anyway, that's the plan if I do everything right. I've been doing that diet for the past month and it's working out. I don't give myself a regular cheat day, the occassion to cheat normally comes around every two weeks - like this weekend I was very sick and needed comfort food or two weekends ago I had a jujitsu tournament and ate whatever was available.
    You need to decide what you really want:
    a. muscle
    b. to run
    c. to compete in jujitsu


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    I would appreciate any and all help/criticisms - what I would really like to know is if people think it would get me to my goal. I'm very much an ameature at this and have gleaned my plan from observing the experienced people on this site.
    I've been a bit harsh, but right now you are all over the place. You need to decide what you want and prioritize your goals before you can really go any further. And getting a trainer would, IMO, be the best option for you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    Things I'm too afraid to do:
    Take a "Before" picture
    Take Body Measurements
    Get a Body Fat Measurement

    I know I need to do these things - I just really don't want to know!!
    1. You NEED to get your BF% taken, as a starting point. Otherwise how will you know where you are at and where to aim for?
    2. You don't need to take a "Before" picture, but it can serve as motivation.
    3. Forget about the body measurements; focus on the BF%.

    And if you don't want to know them, then you need to harden up and do it, because you won't get anywhere if you flounder about and hope you get it right.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    Zukkini's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    78
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    37.5%

    As for my workout routine, I'll post a routine I found that sounds pretty solid, my weight lifting has been very hit and miss lately from being sick and taking time off from the gym for jujitsu - Thanks very much for your input.
  5. New Member
    Zukkini's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    78
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    37.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    Good for you. I would actually recommend that you get a personal trainer, if you're really that serious about it. Also, if you're planning on running competitively, then get a trainer or coach!

    I have a girlfriend who is a personal trainer. I've been trying not to ask her for too much help because I know she'll insist on not letting me pay her and I'd feel awfully bad about that, but I think I'll start illiciting her for help.


    Why so focussed on the WEIGHT? You SHOULD be more concerned with body composition. Anyways, if you were to go by the recommendation of losing 0.5kg per week, then your short-term goal of getting to 125lb would be achieved in 10 weeks (8 weeks may be pushing it, but you could do it; however, the slower you lose the weight the more lkely it is to STAY off). getting to 120lb should be no problem for you, and you could do that easily within 14-16 weeks (provided that your diet and training, but emphasis on DIET was good).

    Yeah, I know how everyone says not to focus on weight but on body fat, and that's solid advice - I guess it's just that I haven't wanted to get my body fat measurement so I've been going by the scale instead. I'll muster up the guts to do it, I will. And then I'll have that to go on to track progress. Besides I really don't care if the scale says I'm 125 if it's all soft mush.

    If you want to get "defined muscle and abs", then you need to HAVE the muscle there to see when you lose bodyfat (BF). If you don't have the muscle in your midsection them you willl never see "abs" regardless of how lean you get.

    Well I have been lifting weights for the past 3 years, I just think I've probably been doing it wrong and I haven't varied it up at all until this year. I do think I have muscle in there, before doing jujitsu and even weight lifting, I've always done aerobic classes and some form of martial arts.

    I suggest you concentrate on getting to a certain BF% instead of on weight.

    I agree, you're right about that.


    Your diet is absolute crap, honestly. You have the protein part right. As for everything else...For a start you're NOT eating ENOUGH (you don't need to starve to get lean). Two, too much junk (jello, ice-cream, etc.). Three, where are your carbohydrates (CHO)? If you're planning on running 5km and 10km AND competing in jujitsu then you NEED CHO for energy.

    You compete in jujitsu. Your diet should be concentarted on being the best for that so that you can perfom at your best. And doing that much training/exercise for it shall help with calorie expenditure.

    Low Carb diets have always worked best for me. I love love love carbs, and it seems like if I let myself have a little, I always take a lot. I definitely have less energy on a low carb diet, but when I start losing weight on it, it's too hard to let it go. (I did bring the carbs back the day before my competition, though) And I've got the calories set low, I know, just because I'm dying to see some results. There's nothing as demotivating for me as being on a diet and not feeling a difference. I'm kind of all-or-nothing with diets. I eventually want to be a healthy moderate eater as a way of life but I'm too self-endulgent when it comes to food - especially sweets. LOL, I could live soley on cereal, apples, and icecream - those are my favorite foods.



    Otherwise: Diet tips for fat loss (and this CAN be done sensibly, and with ENOUGH energy for what you need):

    1. First, you need to work out what your MAINTENANCE calories are (There are various methods and equations that you can use to calculate this; most take into account current body mass, height, and activity level). Then, to lose fat, you need to make sure that youíre having up to 500 calories LESS than maintenance. Depending on how fast or slow you lose the fat, you can adjust and tweak your calorie intake each week.
    2. Eat every 2-3 hours after waking. This helps keep the metabolism going throughout the day, as well as keeping insulin levels stable (so, you can see that 3 meals is simply NOT enough, even small portions).
    3. EVERY meal should have complex carbohydrates [CHO] (i.e. kumara, rice, oats, etc.), QUALITY LEAN protein (chicken breast, fish, tuna, salmon, lean beef, egg whites, etc.), and FIBROUS CHO (i.e. vegetables, green ones in particular).
    4. Drink 4.5 litres of water per day. This will help keep the system clean.
    5. It has been proven that TWO servings of DAIRY per day helps lose MORE fat than if one avoids it altogether.
    6. Do NOT avoid fat (The only fat she should be avoiding is Saturated fat and Trans fats). You NEED fat in your diet, as fat plays major roles in energy metabolism and other parts of your body (Wardlaw & Hampl, 2007). Make sure to have at least 30 grams of GOOD fats (i.e. flaxseeds or flaxseed oil, fish oils, peanut butter, nuts - especially almonds and walnuts, hempseed oil, olive oil, etc.) per day (i.e. this is ~2 tbsp of flaxseed oil or peanut butter).
    7. Donít drink tea or coffee. Try drinking GREEN tea instead; it helps with thermogenesis, and is especially good if you take it one hour before doing cardio first thing in the morning.
    8. Donít drink alcohol. Alcohol has NO nutritional value and is full of calories.
    9. Minimize adding salt to food. Instead, flavour a meal with herbs and spices (i.e. ginger, cumin, cayenne pepper, curry powder, chilli powder, and garlic all help thermogenesis a bit).
    10. The only sugar needed on a regular basis is the NATURAL sugars found in food; these are mostly found in fruit. Too much sugar plays havoc with insulin levels and these should be as stable as possible throughout the day. The best time to be having sugar is straight AFTER a RESISTANCE workout, when the body is trying to replenish muscle glycogen stores (Burke, 2006).
    11. Do NOT avoid CHO. You NEED at least 50-100 grams of CHO per day for your body to burn fat effectively. A good guideline is to have at least 1 gram of CHO per kg of body mass per day as a MINIMUM (Burke, 2006).
    12. Eat most food as 'natural' as possible. This means fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, grains, etc. Try not to eat too much packaged food, as it is full of extra calories and sugar.
    13. Most importantly, remember that it IS OK TO CHEAT every now and then. Actually the body NEEDS cheat meals and day. By throwing all the guidelines I have just mentioned above out of the way and having a day where you eat what you want it helps, and will also help prevent your body from going into starvation mode (where the body battles you to hold onto the fat as much as it can). If you prefer NOT to Ďcheatí, then adding in 1-2 higher CALORIE days (i.e. go up to Maintenance, or even Bulking, or even slightly higher), with the extra calories coming from quality COMPLEX CHO, you should be ok.

    Supplements should NOT be a big deal, as most fat loss can be done through simply eating the right food at the right time. And unless everything that youíre doing is already done to ensure the maximum results in the timeframe that you want to achieve it in, and then supplementation should not be the focus. However, there ARE a few supplements that I think are important to any regime:

    1. A multivitamin. (Although you should be eating as much of a variety of food as possible, in order to meet the RDI/AI of most nutrients from actual food).
    2. Creatine monohydrate. Creatine helps the body to recover faster, as well as aiding in increasing strength levels and lean body mass [LBM].
    3. Flaxseed/Hempseed/Fish Oil. This is the GOOD fats. Flaxseed or Hempseed oil is great with breakfast or in protein shakes.
    4. Protein Powder. This just helps for the in-between meals, or after the gym, and to make sure that you get enough protein in (You should be having 1-1.5 grams of protein per kg of body mass per day; this is so that muscle loss is prevented, and can even assist in small gains in LBM).

    I think that calorie cycling would be the best option for you re diet, especially if you want to lose BF AND compete in jujitsu AND run on top of that.

    This sounds very similar to what my girlfriend does, I'll get her to help my with a diet plan along these guidelines. Regarding your list, I think I am in compliance with about half of your rules - I don't have a proper caloric count, I am eliminating most carbs from my meals, I'm not sure how many 4.5 litres of water is, but I do drink 12+ cups of water a day, but I do have some questions about your list above:
    1. Caffeine - I drink 2-3 cups of coffee and 2-3 cups of diet mountain dew a day, in addition to lots of water - like I said, 12+ cups ( I pee a lot). I have never liked tea and I have become rather dependent on caffeine - for energy and it seems to work as an appetite supressant. I could limit my intake, but I'm not sure about cutting it out.
    2. Do you minimize salt mostly because of the sodium and is it that bad? Generally I salt my chicken to keep from needing any other condiment or something with calories.


    For a start, if you are competitive in jujitsu, then why isn't your resistance training set up to make you better in that?

    Well I do forearms a lot because having a strong grip is very important for jujitsu, but other than that I haven't thought about what resistance training is best for jujitsu - that's a very good point!

    Two, you DON'T need to do so much cardio, especially on top of your jujitsu training.

    I'm actually really glad to hear you say that. I'm trying to push myself to do a lot because I really want to see results, but I don't know if I can keep up that much cardio. I'm thinking just ju-jitsu and running should be plenty? It's just that I've read really great things about the HIIT training, and it sounds like it works really well for losing weight, but I think I have enough cardio on my plate between trying to do jujitsu and brining running regularly into my regimen.

    Three, to build the muscle in your abs you need to train them, but not endless repetitions or every day or as often as you are. Twice a week for ~100 reps a session is how I got my 6-pack. Doing weighted exercises is the best way to help get them as well: weighted crunches, hanging knee raises, etc. Also doing the huge exercises like squats, deadlifts, etc., because they use your core and force it to work and become stronger.

    Four, your training outside of your jujitsu is all over the place. You don't need to do spin or extra running. You really need to decide WHAT you are trying to train FOR first before you set up a training programme.

    Thanks. That's great advice.


    You need to decide what you really want:
    a. muscle
    b. to run
    c. to compete in jujitsu

    Well my "priority list" for it all is:

    1. Jujitsu - Love it
    2. Running - Learning to Love it, Having fun doing it with Friends
    3. Weigh Lifting - Used to be all about it, but I'm not competing in weight lifting, I am competing in Ju-Jitsu, and Running and Ju-jitsu go along with my weight loss goals well.



    I've been a bit harsh, but right now you are all over the place. You need to decide what you want and prioritize your goals before you can really go any further. And getting a trainer would, IMO, be the best option for you.




    1. You NEED to get your BF% taken, as a starting point. Otherwise how will you know where you are at and where to aim for?
    2. You don't need to take a "Before" picture, but it can serve as motivation.
    3. Forget about the body measurements; focus on the BF%.

    And if you don't want to know them, then you need to harden up and do it, because you won't get anywhere if you flounder about and hope you get it right.
    You're so right.
    I really appreciate the attention that you paid to my post and your expertise. I really want to have a fit & healthy lifestyle, I really enjoy competing physically and I really want to look good, thanks for your help
  6. New Member
    kkschaef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    46
    Posts
    69
    Rep Power
    118
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    58.73%

    I have to agree with what was posted previously. Your diet really isn't good at all. Too much jello, icecream, and alot of extra stuff you don't need like sour cream. Even if you are choosing fat free or low fat its going to be full of sugar. Not good. Choose foods that are not processed and go for food in their natural state. Choose carbs that will help with your goals such as sweet potatoes, brown rice, oats, things like that. Cut out anything white such as sugar and white flour.
  7. New Member
    Zukkini's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    78
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    37.5%

    Thanks for your input!
    I can do without so much sour cream - I guess 'cuz it's mostly fat I just find it filling and satisfying.

    I guess I can do without jello - but it's the sugarfree stuff ... it's got like 10 calories ... it's like sucking on flavored ice - is it really that bad?

    As for the sugar free icecream, I know it's not the best choice - My husband always eats icecream at night (he can eat whatever and whenever he wants and not gain an ounce) and it's hard to not crave it madly when he eats it. Really, I could just eat a protein bar and that would probably take care of my cravings. Would cheese be okay? I know that's weird, but a lot of times if I'm craving something sweet and I eat something high in fat instead it calms down my sugar-cravings.
  8. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  116 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,186
    Rep Power
    493835
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    53.4%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    As for my workout routine, I'll post a routine I found that sounds pretty solid, my weight lifting has been very hit and miss lately from being sick and taking time off from the gym for jujitsu - Thanks very much for your input.
    Your training should be SPECIFIC to YOU, your needs (i.e. sport requirements, weakness, etc.) and goals. It needs to be INDIVIDUALIZED, not just something you "found".

    The gym should NOT be your focus (so don't worry if you don't get there), since jujitsu is your top priority.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    I have a girlfriend who is a personal trainer. I've been trying not to ask her for too much help because I know she'll insist on not letting me pay her and I'd feel awfully bad about that, but I think I'll start illiciting her for help.
    In that case, become a paying client of hers. Problem solved. If she's any good as a trainer she should be able to write a programme for ANY sport and ANY goal and get results.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    Yeah, I know how everyone says not to focus on weight but on body fat, and that's solid advice - I guess it's just that I haven't wanted to get my body fat measurement so I've been going by the scale instead. I'll muster up the guts to do it, I will. And then I'll have that to go on to track progress. Besides I really don't care if the scale says I'm 125 if it's all soft mush.
    Do it. Make sure that you get 6-8 skinfolds done, and by someone who KNOWS what they're doing (i.e. ISAK certified), and not just one skinfold or BIA scales.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    Well I have been lifting weights for the past 3 years, I just think I've probably been doing it wrong and I haven't varied it up at all until this year. I do think I have muscle in there, before doing jujitsu and even weight lifting, I've always done aerobic classes and some form of martial arts.
    Probably. Many people just go in and lift and make it up as they go along and have no idea what they're doing. That's where a trainer comes in; they set you up on something SPECIFIC for your goals; then your training is NOT a waste of time.

    Everyone has muscle; some less and some more than others.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    Low Carb diets have always worked best for me. I love love love carbs, and it seems like if I let myself have a little, I always take a lot. I definitely have less energy on a low carb diet, but when I start losing weight on it, it's too hard to let it go. (I did bring the carbs back the day before my competition, though) And I've got the calories set low, I know, just because I'm dying to see some results. There's nothing as demotivating for me as being on a diet and not feeling a difference. I'm kind of all-or-nothing with diets. I eventually want to be a healthy moderate eater as a way of life but I'm too self-endulgent when it comes to food - especially sweets. LOL, I could live soley on cereal, apples, and icecream - those are my favorite foods.
    You'll have less energy on a low CHO diet because CHO are what your body uses for energy! And you should, regardless, be able to lose fat while eating CHO sensibly. Nothing LESS than 50g a day is what I would recommend, since your body needs CHO to burn fat effectively as well. Low calories are going to do you more damage than good; they lead to your body going into 'starvation mode' and then it fights you to hold onto the BF because it thinks you are starving it. And if you're NOT eating enough yes your body will start to use fat for energy, but it will also start breaking down your muscle (and that's more convenient than using fat). It's hard to believe sometimes, but more food = faster (and more effective) fat loss!!! try and get out of that "all or nothing" mindset; you're setting yourself up for failure with that!


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    This sounds very similar to what my girlfriend does, I'll get her to help my with a diet plan along these guidelines. Regarding your list, I think I am in compliance with about half of your rules - I don't have a proper caloric count, I am eliminating most carbs from my meals, I'm not sure how many 4.5 litres of water is, but I do drink 12+ cups of water a day, but I do have some questions about your list above:
    1. Caffeine - I drink 2-3 cups of coffee and 2-3 cups of diet mountain dew a day, in addition to lots of water - like I said, 12+ cups ( I pee a lot). I have never liked tea and I have become rather dependent on caffeine - for energy and it seems to work as an appetite supressant. I could limit my intake, but I'm not sure about cutting it out.
    2. Do you minimize salt mostly because of the sodium and is it that bad? Generally I salt my chicken to keep from needing any other condiment or something with calories.
    Start KNOWING how many calories you are having. It gets easy when you know what's in what.

    Stop eliminating CHO.

    12 cups is 3.6 litres.

    1. You don't need to drink tea, but try not to have so MUCH coffee. And you should never be DEPENDENT on it. And forget the Mountain Dew; it's empty, useless calories.

    2. Yeah, you minimize salt because of the sodium. Actually, you should minimize sodium, because it's not that great for you (i.e. too much increases risk of heart disease, hypertension, etc.). Most people get TOO much sodium. The RDI is ENOUGH! Instead of salty use herbs or spices (calories are next to nothing).


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    Well I do forearms a lot because having a strong grip is very important for jujitsu, but other than that I haven't thought about what resistance training is best for jujitsu - that's a very good point!
    Trainer.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    I'm actually really glad to hear you say that. I'm trying to push myself to do a lot because I really want to see results, but I don't know if I can keep up that much cardio. I'm thinking just ju-jitsu and running should be plenty? It's just that I've read really great things about the HIIT training, and it sounds like it works really well for losing weight, but I think I have enough cardio on my plate between trying to do jujitsu and brining running regularly into my regimen.
    More does NOT mean faster or better results!!! In fact, when it comes to exercise, LESS IS MORE! Jujitsu training is plenty enough cardio.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    Well my "priority list" for it all is:

    1. Jujitsu - Love it
    2. Running - Learning to Love it, Having fun doing it with Friends
    3. Weigh Lifting - Used to be all about it, but I'm not competing in weight lifting, I am competing in Ju-Jitsu, and Running and Ju-jitsu go along with my weight loss goals well.
    Focus on your jujitsu then. Get a trainer who can write you a programme that will help you in your competitions.

    If you're serious about running, just do 2-3 runs a week. Running 5km and 10km is easy, and doesn't require that much training. You should be fit enough from your jujitsu.

    Your resistance training should be focused on enhancing your jujitsu performance.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    You're so right. I really appreciate the attention that you paid to my post and your expertise. I really want to have a fit & healthy lifestyle, I really enjoy competing physically and I really want to look good, thanks for your help
    No worries. As long as you read and HEED it.

    Looking good is just a benefit of being an athlete (depending on the sport; some sports do not require much physical prowess, or need one to be light and skinny, neither of which is 'good looking'). You focus on your training and making yourself as good as you can for your sport and the physique just comes along with it.

    You have everything you need now. So go and DO something about it! From now on your trainer should advise and guide you.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  9. New Member
    littlejeni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    156
    Rep Power
    157
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    92.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    Why so focussed on the WEIGHT? You SHOULD be more concerned with body composition. Anyways, if you were to go by the recommendation of losing 0.5kg per week, then your short-term goal of getting to 125lb would be achieved in 10 weeks (8 weeks may be pushing it, but you could do it; however, the slower you lose the weight the more lkely it is to STAY off). getting to 120lb should be no problem for you, and you could do that easily within 14-16 weeks (provided that your diet and training, but emphasis on DIET was good).

    If you want to get "defined muscle and abs", then you need to HAVE the muscle there to see when you lose bodyfat (BF). If you don't have the muscle in your midsection them you willl never see "abs" regardless of how lean you get.

    I suggest you concentrate on getting to a certain BF% instead of on weight.
    Pretty much agree with everything she advised. This whole weight complex has got to go. No offense (been there done that myself), but you have the beginner mindset of how to eat and how to set goals. I don't have the perfect body, I weigh a lot according to hollywood's ideal weight (135lb for 5'4") however, because my BF is low I feel like I'm at a great place and don't really care to be lower. This goal will be specific for you, but don't obsess over the scale.

    Also, everyone has touched on this already, but stay away from the extra crap that you are eating. It seems like you have a sweet tooth (I am queen of the sweet tooth). I eat super clean during the week and when Saturday rolls around I indulge on chocolate and thai food like you wouldn't believe. So I'm going 6 steps forward and only 1 step back every week. Keeps me sane, but we're all different, just don't punish yourself.

    You seem really focused, so I wish you the very best. Keep us informed on your progress, I love to see a girl pushing her hotness to the limits
    Go get 'em!
  10. New Member
    Zukkini's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    78
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    37.5%

    Thanks everybody for the input. I'm going to meet with my girlfriend this Monday and she's going to take my body fat and help me with a diet plan ( I imagine it will be very similar to what Geujsn suggests since it sounds like exactly what my gal pal is doing at the moment). I'm glad I finally asked her to do that, she's excited about that. I was going to meet with her this Monday, but I got the flu again and didn't make it down to the gym. I did however, run my first 5k last Saturday before I got sick :-D I did okay I guess, I don't know what "good" is, but I thought I paced myself well and I didn't have to stop or anything.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How's this for my summer recomp plan?
    By JayRock in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 12:04 PM
  2. Here comes summer. 24 week plan of attack :)
    By dcf143 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 11:58 PM
  3. Skinny giving health advice
    By DerickVonD in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 02:46 PM
  4. please critique my bulk plan for the summer
    By redrocket399 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-09-2009, 04:27 PM
  5. Australian Summer Plan
    By nelix in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 02:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in