Helping my gf's mum

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
So my gf's mum wants to lose weight. She's a busy bank manager and only really has one big meal a day when she gets home from work. she does have breakfast and lunch but nothing too big.

Advice that i've given her so far is, to drink more water throughout the day. snack on nuts, eg pumpkin seeds, pine nuts etc. Eat less more often. Explaining what healthier foods she can eat, stuff like that. She won’t join the gym. Her husband is offshore 1 month on, 1 month off. So she wants to do something about it when he’s away as it’s a lot eaiser.

The thing is her husband makes fun of her weight and when she tries to do anything about it he seems to make fun out of that too. It's pretty **** for her really. It's easy to see that she's gettin upset about it. I wouldn't say she's fat but she is overweight for her height.

The main exercise she's getting into at the moment is walking the dogs (bordeaux) so it's a pretty massive dog, its no stroll in the park trying to control it. I even have trouble with her sometimes lol. Also she's been getting into the Wiifit with her younger daughter and 30mins on the cross trainer every couple nights.

She does drink and smoke. She’s went from drinking 2 bottles of wine every night to drinking diet coke (no added sugar or caffeine) I know its not ideal but it’s a start I suppose. I've told her it's more of a lifestyle change than just doing some cardio now and again.

Any advice would be great :) cheers!:thumbsup:

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well all of your advice is good.

On her breaks if you could get her to bring a natty PB sandwich on double protein bread in between lunch, maybe a can of tuna last break?

I would say tell her to let him make fun. All that is, is his insecurity that if she loses weight and other guys notice he just might lose her. Nobody wants to stay with an ass forever.

Get her some cheap weights at Target and teach her some things she can do at home after he goes to bed, or ignore him.

Like tricep chair dips, laterals holding something, push ups, chair squats. etc.. Milk jug deadlifts..lol Anything done at the gym I've found can be modified for home.

Walking the dog is good if the dog is not so ill behaved that she shortens the walk to get it over with.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Well all of your advice is good.

On her breaks if you could get her to bring a natty PB sandwich on double protein bread in between lunch, maybe a can of tuna last break?

I would say tell her to let him make fun. All that is, is his insecurity that if she loses weight and other guys notice he just might lose her. Nobody wants to stay with an ass forever.

Get her some cheap weights at Target and teach her some things she can do at home after he goes to bed, or ignore him.

Like tricep chair dips, laterals holding something, push ups, chair squats. etc.. Milk jug deadlifts..lol Anything done at the gym I've found can be modified for home.

Walking the dog is good if the dog is not so ill behaved that she shortens the walk to get it over with.
thanks for the advice :) The dogs start to calm down after 5 mins so she doesn't need to shorten the walks!

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Awesome!!! I have English Mastiffs and sometimes walking them can be a trial!! LOL

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Her DIET will make the MOST impact. Small changes at a time, and regular exercise, and she should start seeing results.

And as Christine said, you could do a "home" programme, or something that can be modified and done in a park.

Pretty much you can do any ab exercise. A swisball (s/b) can also be useful for myriad exercises. Using cans and other objects that can be substituted for dumbbells will work as well. Also, if you have any rubber tubing (i.e. a bicycle tube), you can use that to do resisted exercises as well (i.e. abductions, adductions, etc.)

Just a quick list of exercises you can do (there are many MORE):
*Squats (b/w, s/b)
* Lunges
* Burpees
* Push-Ups
* Leg abductions
* Leg adductions
* Calf Raises (single, double; on step or block)
* Crunches (floor, s/b; legs with deet on floor, or knees at 90 degrees)
* Side Crunches (floor, s/b)
* Planks
* Side Planks
* Leg Lifts (single, double; on floor or s/b)
* Sit-Ups
* Pull-ups (door frames, or if you have a bar that will hold her weight anywhere in the house, garage, or yard)

Check out these threads; you may get some ideas:
* http://anabolicminds.com/forum/female-fitness/108163-home-workout-routine.html
* http://anabolicminds.com/forum/female-fitness/110717-takin-gf-gym.html

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
you could tell her to get some green tea extract incorporated to boost metabolism.