Takin the GF to the gym what do i do?

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone ive started taking my girl to the gym cuz she wants to get in better shape. so now only problem is she will only be able to go with me 2 or 3 times a week so i was wondering what kind of workout plan she should start doing what exercises etc the works. she is 5ft tall and 100lbs no supplement experience no weight training experience just jogging. shes trying to lose her love handles so she does her cardio i got her to start eating properly instead of her one meal a day shes now going at eating a small meal every 1.5 hrs and eating atleast 4 meals a day all healthy and clean good foods i allow her one cheat snack just to keep her metabloism going. i took her to the gym with me last night for the first time and she was happy it happened to be legs and abs that day but at the end she wasnt so happy so here was her workout identical to mine just alot less weight!!
legs
Squats (smith machine) warmup just the bar
50-12, 55-11, 55-10
seated Quad Extension 60-12, 65-10, 70-10
Seated Ham curl 70-12, 75-11, 75-10
Seated Calf Roller 100-12, 120-10, 120-9
Abs
crunches 15
db side obliques 15 (per side)
lying leg lifts 15
and threw in some stretching at the end
So shes pretty weak and idk if that workout was to advanced for her or what but she pushed through did what she could and today she saying "i want to cut my legs off and i hate the fukn STAIRS" lol
so any advice to help her out is greatly appreciated any other info you need just lemme know
thanks

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey everyone ive started taking my girl to the gym cuz she wants to get in better shape. so now only problem is she will only be able to go with me 2 or 3 times a week so i was wondering what kind of workout plan she should start doing what exercises etc the works. she is 5ft tall and 100lbs no supplement experience no weight training experience just jogging. shes trying to lose her love handles so she does her cardio i got her to start eating properly instead of her one meal a day shes now going at eating a small meal every 1.5 hrs and eating atleast 4 meals a day all healthy and clean good foods i allow her one cheat snack just to keep her metabloism going. i took her to the gym with me last night for the first time and she was happy it happened to be legs and abs that day but at the end she wasnt so happy so here was her workout identical to mine just alot less weight!!
legs
Squats (smith machine) warmup just the bar
50-12, 55-11, 55-10
seated Quad Extension 60-12, 65-10, 70-10
Seated Ham curl 70-12, 75-11, 75-10
Seated Calf Roller 100-12, 120-10, 120-9
Abs
crunches 15
db side obliques 15 (per side)
lying leg lifts 15
and threw in some stretching at the end
So shes pretty weak and idk if that workout was to advanced for her or what but she pushed through did what she could and today she saying "i want to cut my legs off and i hate the fukn STAIRS" lol
so any advice to help her out is greatly appreciated any other info you need just lemme know
thanks
At least her eating sounds better.

She doesn't need supplements aside from a multivitamin, good fats, and creatine (extra protein is not necessary, since she should get enough from her diet).

She's about my height and tiny, so any "love handles" she thinks she has may be just an illusion.

As for training:

Resistance Training

I would get her doing Full-Body sessions, twice a week, with 2 days rests between. Select 8-10 exercises, and perform 12-15 reps per exercise at 12-15RM. Do it in a circuit fashion (since she's a beginner it will help increase her endurance, strength AND muscle mass), with either a small rest (i.e. 60-90 seconds) between exercises, or wait until the end of one circuit before a 1-3 minute rest. Exercises that you should get her doing are multijoint, compound exercises, as they use more than one muscle, and are the most effective for not only building muscle, but also in burning fat, because they are recruiting more of the body to perform the exercise than isolation exercises (these are a waste of time, especially for a beginner). The best compound exercises that you can do are the squat and the deadlift, as they use pretty much EVERY muscle in your body. Other compound exercises that are good to include are the power clean, bench press, shoulder press, pull-ups, dips, as well as calf raises (the only isolation exercise that’s really good). You should try and get her doing free weights as much as possible, since it will force her to work her core more, increase stability and improve posture. Bodyweight exercises and plymetrics are also good exercses to add into a circuit. Be sure that you show her how to do each exercise correctly, and that she ALWAYS usees good form for EVERY exercise; otherwise she is risks injury. All reps should be CONTROLLED and with good form (don’t cheat). It’s not about how MUCH you can lift, but how WELL you lift. She WILL get stronger as she continues with it.

NOTE: Make sure that she has a protein shake with some simple sugar (i.e. fruit smoothie with ice and protein powder is great here) as soon as possible after your resistance training, and then a PROPER meal (i.e. including ~50 grams of complex CHO, ~30 grams of protein, fibrous CHO) about 30 minutes after your post-workout shake.

Cardio

Resistance training does MORE for burning fat than cardio, IMO. However, if she REALLY wants to do cardio, the most effective way to burn fat this way is to do a) Interval training (i.e. efforts), or b) do cardio at a HIGHER intensity (i.e. just going out and running as fast as you can over a certain distance, instead of 45 minutes at a 60% HRmax). Forget about the ‘Fat Burning Zone’; the harder she works during cardio, the more fat she will lose (i.e. higher intensity raises metabolism POST-cardio, instead of just what she burns during it). I do something called 'Guerrilla Cardio' (GC). It is tabata intervals done sprinting (I also do them on a bike). All you do jog lightly for 4 minutes as a 'warm-up'; then you do 8 x 20 seconds hard-out-as-fast-as-you-can sprints/efforts, and jog easy for 10 seconds after each one; finishing with a 4 minutes easy jog ‘cool-down’. I do GC (or variations of it; now I increase how many efforts I do, and sometimes do up to 32) 3 days a week, with a rest day between each one, as it is very hard and takes a lot out of you. If she does this, and lifts weights and eats to lose fat, then she will most definitely see results. Skipping, stair sprinting/running, or rowing, are the next highest calorie burners after sprinting. I would get her doing cardio on the days when she is NOT resistance training!

Flexibility

Just stretch for 10-20 minutes per day, preferably AFTER you have done either cardio or weights, while your muscles are still warm. This just makes sure that you can move freely and easily.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
wow well thank you very much for your advice and will get her doing stuff like that.
any other advice from anyone to add is always appreciated thanks alot!!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
wow well thank you very much for your advice and will get her doing stuff like that.
any other advice from anyone to add is always appreciated thanks alot!!
No worries. Best she does it right (else she's wasting time and effort). As a beginner, she should see results fairly quickly. Just make sure that she KEEPS PROGRESSING. Give her 6 weeks to get into it, and then after that you should change (remember that only ONE thing needs to be changed at a time, though, not everything all at once) her programme up (i.e. exercises (order and what doing), sets, reps, recovery period, etc.) every 4-6 weeks.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
alright i shall do that is it best to mix resistance workouts all in one such as like a chest exercise a back exercises and a leg exercise in one workout or all one muscle group in a workout?

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
i been taking mine too. She likes it but gets frustrated if she cant do something right or not at all. Her lower back tends to hurt/pop on her and she doesnt have an athletic shape by any means.
I been tryin to keep her on compound movements but nothing requiring to many stabalizers yet.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
ask her what she wants to work on and have her set goals.. like if she wants to firm the butt.. step ups.. squats..leg curl.. bulgarian squat.. if she feels she wants to shape up her arms then focus on that etc.. when she sees the results on something she wants .. ie. ass/legs getting firmer.. she will be happier and strive to do even more

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
alright i shall do that is it best to mix resistance workouts all in one such as like a chest exercise a back exercises and a leg exercise in one workout or all one muscle group in a workout?
She's a beginner. So (as I said), I would recommend doing EVERY body-part in BOTH sessions (i.e. have her doing only TWO sessions a week, with 2 days rest between). I wouldn't do bpdy-part splits yet, as that is an ADVANCED training method.

i been taking mine too. She likes it but gets frustrated if she cant do something right or not at all. Her lower back tends to hurt/pop on her and she doesnt have an athletic shape by any means.
I been tryin to keep her on compound movements but nothing requiring to many stabalizers yet.
If her lower back has issues, then she has a weak lower back. She could also have weak hip flexors and hamstrings and/or muscle imbalances in her lower body. If she gets frustrated, then get her to do it again. The AMOUNT of weight she's lifting shouldn't matter at the start, as long as she gets the TECHNIQUE right. Keep her on compound movements, because these are the BEST exercises you can do. Even if you ONLY get her doing the squat, deadlift, and bench press to start with. Keep encouraging her and don't let your frustration show too much (if you get like that).

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
alright thanks alot guys really good info i appreciate it and for me i only get frustrated with her when she complains and says she cant do something when she hasnt tried it yet like when she was doing squats i just put a 25 on both sides so total of 50lbs and she said she couldnt do it so i had her try it and she could do it and was extremely excited i hate when people say they cant do something and havent tried it yet ya kno

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
alright thanks alot guys really good info i appreciate it and for me i only get frustrated with her when she complains and says she cant do something when she hasnt tried it yet like when she was doing squats i just put a 25 on both sides so total of 50lbs and she said she couldnt do it so i had her try it and she could do it and was extremely excited i hate when people say they cant do something and havent tried it yet ya kno
How does she know that she can't do something if she hasn't tried it??? As for her not being able to lift that much; you never know what you can until you try it. Just keep pushing her.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
will do i push her to do everything she thinks she cant, and shes finally being put to the test with her losing weight! so im excited for the final result and how stoked shes gunna be!

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
what are good exercises to have her do at home when she doesnt go to the gym with me the basics pushups crunches all the lil stuff you can do at home?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
what are good exercises to have her do at home when she doesnt go to the gym with me the basics pushups crunches all the lil stuff you can do at home?
At home she can use a laptop in a case and do lateral raises with it. She can do chair dips for tris, push ups, she can do single arm bent over rows with any object like a milk gallon, etc..

She can do mountain climbers and pop squats, she can do burpees and leg lifts for abs. She can curl any object of appropriate weight and do tri kickbacks with it. Or you could go to target and buy some cheap kettlebells and do a routine. She can hold any object in close to chest and do squats and lunges around the house. Really its all up to your imagination.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Home Exercises

Christine mentioned a lot of things.

Pretty much you can do any ab exercise. A swisball (s/b) can also be useful for myriad exercises. Using cans and other objects that can be substituted for dumbbells will work as well. Also, if you have any rubber tubing (i.e. a bicycle tube), you can use that to do resisted exercises as well (i.e. abductions, adductions, etc.)

Just a quick list of exercises you can do (there are many MORE):
*Squats (b/w, s/b)
* Lunges
* Burpees
* Push-Ups
* Leg abductions
* Leg adductions
* Calf Raises (single, double; on step or block)
* Crunches (floor, s/b; legs with deet on floor, or knees at 90 degrees)
* Side Crunches (floor, s/b)
* Planks
* Side Planks
* Leg Lifts (single, double; on floor or s/b)
* Sit-Ups
* Pull-ups (door frames, or if you have a bar that will hold her weight anywhere in the house, garage, or yard)

Sergiu

Awards
"i want to cut my legs off and i hate the fukn STAIRS" lol
That's the feeling you have after a good leg workout. The problem with her, I think, is the fact that everything is new to her and she feels out of her comfort zone. So try to make it feel comfortable and she'll eventually get used to working out(I disliked not having a clue and not being able to do anything properly in the beginning too).

I don't think your workout was too advanced, but for beginners doing the whole body and compound exercises every workout is the best, as Guesjn said.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
alright thanks for all the good advice and recommendations you have all given, anything else you can think of please let me know

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
Personally I would sign her up with a trainer for a few weeks to get her started or put her in a fitness class to begin with. That gives you both a break from interfering with your w/o and gets her up to at least a certain knowledge/fitness level.

That's what I did with my wife.

I had also explained what I do and what I would have her eventually do. The trainer pretty much re-enforced what I had told her and gave her some other suggestions that I wouldn't have put in as I only do the weights and cardio vs the ball and other tools that she liked using.

AUTO

Awards
  • Established
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ya get her in the fitness classes they love them, and if you can get here to do yoga, flexable women :thumbsup:

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
haha i hear ya, i just think the personal trainers at my gym like dont know what their talking about in my opinion atleast but hey there are personal trainers so they must but ya never know

Theipodpeople

Theipodpeople

Awards
I haven't read what everyone else suggested here, but I know I've read from some females around these forums that the way to a sexy body is HEAVY lifting, not light fag pink and purple weights. Let her follow your routine, or she could or try a routine of compound exercises and some warm down cardio afterward. I've found a lot of helpful workout routines from www.Muscleandstrength.com. Also consider a BodyMinder exercise journa for her to write down what she does at the gym, or any regular composition notebook. This way she can develop the curves she wants and not have to worry about love handles. 100lbs at 5ft seems VERY light to me, and if she wants to lose fat she should get some muscle first, since without that muscle an anorexic look could come out.(I've seen VERY sexy tone and strong women at my gyms, then I've seen some SCARY women on the elipticals.)

P.S. Sorry if I repeated anything other people wrote just throwing my two cents...

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^GUESJN^ ... Wow like Shamwow! Good adsvise right there!

Bigzach...you too.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^GUESJN^ ... Wow like Shamwow! Good adsvise right there!

Bigzach...you too.
Cheers, CopyCat.

And Theipodpeople, I would be one of those females. Pity the majority of women still DON'T believe it re heavy lifting!

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
If her lower back has issues, then she has a weak lower back. She could also have weak hip flexors and hamstrings and/or muscle imbalances in her lower body. If she gets frustrated, then get her to do it again. The AMOUNT of weight she's lifting shouldn't matter at the start, as long as she gets the TECHNIQUE right. Keep her on compound movements, because these are the BEST exercises you can do. Even if you ONLY get her doing the squat, deadlift, and bench press to start with. Keep encouraging her and don't let your frustration show too much (if you get like that).
Sorry, i meant like medically. I think it was a form of scoliosis she had corrected extremely young with 2 titanium rods and 4 screws. I do push her but only a bit. i do think strengthening her back will help. So we do hyperextensions. she does 2, 30 sec rest, 2, rest etc etc fo 10. I also have her on lunges.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
nice good advice and so for women that lift heavy in the end results have a sexy body? very interesting if thats how it works...

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
i been taking mine too. Her lower back tends to hurt/pop on her and she doesnt have an athletic shape by any means.
Low back pain is often the result of weak abdominals, so DON'T let her neglect those. When weak abs are the culprit, the low back is already over tight, as the structural antagonists can't counteract them. Bootom line = focus on the abs, preferential to the LB, at least at first: once she's got some strength there, the LB pain & hypermobility should ease off.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sorry, i meant like medically. I think it was a form of scoliosis she had corrected extremely young with 2 titanium rods and 4 screws. I do push her but only a bit. i do think strengthening her back will help. So we do hyperextensions. she does 2, 30 sec rest, 2, rest etc etc fo 10. I also have her on lunges.
I have a double curve scoliosis and a super strong back. The more I have worked back the less pain I have.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a double curve scoliosis and a super strong back. The more I have worked back the less pain I have.
I too have a scoliosis. However, I was told that, because of all my training, it has helped strengthen my back, so that the scoliosis has no effect.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I look at all the muscle as a hard cast as my muscle grows it tightens and keeps the spine in place. If I take off training for any length of time my pain gets bad. There is a notable difference in my shoulders being square when I lift. But as its all I've known I lift just fine and compensate for it.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
well im glad you ladies lift well and it makes your back pain not as bad or not there at all

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
nice good advice and so for women that lift heavy in the end results have a sexy body? very interesting if thats how it works...
NO, this would be VERY INaccurate. A female can lift heavy. but if her diet is shite, or she trains with no rhyme or reason, then she will NOT necessarily look good at all!

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
haha ok so then has to have a good diet and train with a reason (to get in better shape), and train hard and then the sexy body will follow?? also what are good fat burners for women?

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
get your girl doing some crossfit, crossfit seems to be great for girls

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha ok so then has to have a good diet and train with a reason (to get in better shape), and train hard and then the sexy body will follow?? also what are good fat burners for women?
The sexy body doesn't always follow with diet and training either, if what you consider "good" is not actually and training is wrong. And "sexy" is a different definition to everyone. No explanantion is needed here.

As for fat burners, they should be a LAST resort option, like say when your gf gets to <15% BF. Else she won't see much effects. And, contrary to what others have said re using one as 'motivation', if one hasn't got the discipline and desire to change, then using a fat burner will make no difference. In saying all that, any fat burner should work for a female just as well as a male. The BEST fat burner, however, is GAINING more MUSCLE!

Just my opinions.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
alright well thank you very much for the information about that i shall have her put this to good use!!