need some guidance

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by Delita420 View Post
    Carbohydrates should be eaten before, during and after exercise. The one exception is athletes who are weight training for muscle and strength building effects. These people should wait an hour after exercising before they eat to avoid interference with the growth hormone elevating effects of intense exercise.
    I would disagree with this. It depends on the INDIVIDUAL; you cannot be generic with everyone. But, each to their own. Some people cannot be told.

Quote Originally Posted by Delita420 View Post
    Wait about one hour after weight training to consume your post-training meal. Studies show that if you train hard for about 1 hour, your growth hormone and testosterone levels will reach a peak. However, if you eat during and right after training, this will reduce the hormone response.
    Actually, studies (Wideman, Weltman, Patrie, & Bowers, et al., 2000; to name one) show that in females GH levels peak around the 30-minute mark into exercise, regardless of whether or not the female stops exercising at that mark or continues. In females, studies have shown that total testosterone levels do NOT change, although FREE tstosterone levels can be elevated by up to 25% (Nindl, Kraemer, Gotshalk, & Marx, et al., 2001).
    Athlete ~ Trainer ~ Writer
    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - @rosiecheewarrior

Contact [email protected] for INDIVIDUALIZED Fitness Management
    Motivation. Knowledge. Results.
    www.rosiesmusclerevolution.com

2. Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    I would disagree with this. It depends on the INDIVIDUAL; you cannot be generic with everyone. But, each to their own. Some people cannot be told.

Actually, studies (Wideman, Weltman, Patrie, & Bowers, et al., 2000; to name one) show that in females GH levels peak around the 30-minute mark into exercise, regardless of whether or not the female stops exercising at that mark or continues. In females, studies have shown that total testosterone levels do NOT change, although FREE tstosterone levels can be elevated by up to 25% (Nindl, Kraemer, Gotshalk, & Marx, et al., 2001).
    Hey, I'm just a guy... What do I know about this kind of stuff?
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    Start with your LOWER Body first. because the exercises are quite taxing, and doing them last may not be the best idea for form. Also, doing them first will help increase testosterone and GH, for better muscle mass gain.

Example:
    1. Barbell Squats 3 x 10-12
    2. Deadlifts 3 x 10
    3. Barbell Bench Press 3 x 10
    4. Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 10-12
    5. Dips 3 x 10-12
    6. Calf Raises 3 x 12
    7. Abs - 100 reps in total of any 'ab' exercise
    Notes - 60-90 seconds recovery between sets. You can do as either a) do all of Exercise 1 and then move to exercise 2; or b) do as a circuit (i.e. do exercise 1, then exercise 2, and so on, until exercise 7; and then repeat 3 times), with a short recovery (i.e. 30-60 seconds) between exercises, and a longer one (i.e. 90 seconds) at the end of each circuit.

As for diet, just take into account the notes I made. Bascially you need to work on eating MORE, period, at the moment!
    that sounds good, i will try that and see how it works.
    as for diet, i have created a meal plan, a few actually, that are about 1855 calories...spread out so i'm eating 6-7 times a day, every 2-3 hours. i know i'll have to re-adjust the calorie intake once i lose a few pounds of fat. sound right? i hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    I wouldn't be drinking that shake DURING your workout. If you have it AFTERWARDS, then the fruit is FINE; remember that simple sugars (i.e. fruit) will get into your bloodstream, and therefore aid in replenishment of your muscle glycogen stores faster than compex carbohydrates, protein, or fat.

Personally, I would make your own shake. Suggestions of things that can be put in it (make sure that you have at least 30g of protein and 30-50g of simple carbohydrates):
    * Protein (at least 30g of protein per serve of protein powder)
    * Dextrose (at least 30-50g carbohydrate)
    * Fruit (i.e. bananas, etc.)
    * Frozen berries (i.e. blueberries, raspberries, etc.)
    * Yoghurt
    * Ice
    * Water
    hmm, i'll have to pick up dextrose i guess...i will try this shake out. thanks

4. i'm a little confused, but i appreciate the help everyone.

5. Quote Originally Posted by MC416 View Post
    i'm a little confused, but i appreciate the help everyone.
    don't be. there's two ways to build muscle :

1 - through testosterone
    2 - through growth hormone

carbs cut down growth hormones ability to work in a maximal fashion. carbs do not do that to testosterone.

my suggestion is to limit carbs post workout to get growth hormone working for you, as it is the bodies best fat burner.

Guejsn's idea springs from raising muscle as fast as possible - testosterone, and if your diet doesn't change, your body will have to burn fat to fuel those new muscles.

Two different pathways, same end results. does that clarify this a bit?
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by MC416 View Post
    as for diet, i have created a meal plan, a few actually, that are about 1855 calories...spread out so i'm eating 6-7 times a day, every 2-3 hours. i know i'll have to re-adjust the calorie intake once i lose a few pounds of fat. sound right? i hope.

Do NOT pick up dextrose. Fruit is a much better alternative.

7. Quote Originally Posted by MC416 View Post
    I would have MORE calories than that, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by MC416 View Post
    You don't NEED the dextrose. Either that or the fruit is ENOUGH.

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    ...Guejsn's idea springs from raising muscle as fast as possible - testosterone, and if your diet doesn't change, your body will have to burn fat to fuel those new muscles...
    That wasn't it, actually. But never mind.

I've said my part. MC416 can do as she likes from here. OUT.
    Athlete ~ Trainer ~ Writer
    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - @rosiecheewarrior

Contact [email protected] for INDIVIDUALIZED Fitness Management
    Motivation. Knowledge. Results.
    www.rosiesmusclerevolution.com

8. Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    don't be. there's two ways to build muscle :

1 - through testosterone
    2 - through growth hormone

carbs cut down growth hormones ability to work in a maximal fashion. carbs do not do that to testosterone.

my suggestion is to limit carbs post workout to get growth hormone working for you, as it is the bodies best fat burner.

Guejsn's idea springs from raising muscle as fast as possible - testosterone, and if your diet doesn't change, your body will have to burn fat to fuel those new muscles.

Two different pathways, same end results. does that clarify this a bit?
    aaahh..i see. thanks for that. i guess there's no harm in trying both methods and seeing which works better for my body, right?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    I would have MORE calories than that, to be honest.

You don't NEED the dextrose. Either that or the fruit is ENOUGH.

more food? haha, best news i've ever heard. just hard to keep it clean....
    thanks for your help.

10. one last thing... at what point do you guys believe someone is no longer a beginner in the gym? i guess it depends on the individual and how constant they keep at it? if you were to train heavily for years, and then not for, say, a year, would you come back and start as a beginner again?

11. Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    sorry Guejsn if i misunderstood your point. now i'm confused, which happens more often the older i get

12. let me ask you two questions if i may.

1 what time of day do you work out?
    2 what does a normal days food intake look like?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need some guidance from you pros
    By eneyman in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 10:46 PM
  2. Need some guidance. OTC stuff and "Whats best"
    By Mike1605 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-13-2008, 09:18 PM
  3. Need some guidance
    By Coachjj3 in forum General Chat