At home workout routine...

FreezeAce

Awards
I was wondering if anyone out there could assist me in putting together a 30 minute at home workout routine for my mother.

I have never experimented with the at home workout routine. So, something like this is slightly out of my realm. My mother just wants something in the 30 minute time range, aimed at basically firming up her body (i.e. belly fat, lower back fat, legs, and arms).

I was thinking along the lines of circuit training with dumbbells in a variety of exercises. Such as squats/lunges, oblique side crunches, an abdominal exercise, bicep curls, a form of tricep exercise, and possibly a shoulder raise exercise.

If anyone has more knowledge on this subject or has actually put something together I would be more then happy to hear what you have to say. Like I said in the area of home exercise I have little knowledge on the subject.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks again.

-Freeze

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just a couple of examples

I was wondering if anyone out there could assist me in putting together a 30 minute at home workout routine for my mother.

I have never experimented with the at home workout routine. So, something like this is slightly out of my realm. My mother just wants something in the 30 minute time range, aimed at basically firming up her body (i.e. belly fat, lower back fat, legs, and arms).

I was thinking along the lines of circuit training with dumbbells in a variety of exercises. Such as squats/lunges, oblique side crunches, an abdominal exercise, bicep curls, a form of tricep exercise, and possibly a shoulder raise exercise.

If anyone has more knowledge on this subject or has actually put something together I would be more then happy to hear what you have to say. Like I said in the area of home exercise I have little knowledge on the subject.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks again.

-Freeze
Do you have dumbbells? What about a swissball? And how old is she? If she wants to firm up her body, I would also suggest looking at her diet, since you can do all the exercise in the world, but if your diet is shite, then it won't matter.

Examples:

Circuit A:
Instructions - Do 3-4 times weekly. Repeat 2-3 times, with a minute rest at the end of each circuit. Should take ~20-30 minutes.
Warm-Up - 5 minutes of skipping or a brisk walk beforehand.
1. Squats (bodyweight, swissball or dumbbell) 8-20
2. Lunges (with or without dumbbells, singhle-leg or alternate)8-12 per leg
3. Lying Leg Abductions (weighted or unweighted) 8-20 per leg
4. Lying Leg Abductions (weighted or unweighted) 8-20 per leg
5. Swissball Back Extensions 10-15
6. Double Leg Lifts (floor or swissball) 10-15
7. Crunches (floor or swissball) 10-15
Cool-Down - Finish with a few minutes of stretching.

Circuit B:
Instructions: Do every second day. Complete circuit once. Every week, increase reps for each exercise by 2-5 reps.
warm-up - Start off with 5 minutes of skipping or a brisk walk beforehand.
1. Push-Ups (on knees, full, or against the wall) as many as possible or 8 reps
2. Reverse Curls - 8 reps
3. Burpees - 8 reps
4. Supermans - 8 per side
5. Crunches - 8 reps
Cool-Down - Finish with a few minutes of stretching.

There are so many things you could do. Calisthenics, plyometrics, etc. Exercises like squats, lunges, burpees, jumps, push-ups, bench dips, pull-ups (if somewhere), ab exercises, etc. Pretty much anything goes; as long as your mother is able to do it, and it is targeted at strengthening.

FreezeAce

Awards
Thanks much for your help. I probably should have included her age and such. She's in her early 60's and as far as the equipment, that was going to be something I got for her after I figured out what do to.

Thanks for that circuit. I will take a look at it and see where to go with it. As I am really unsure as to what her fitness level is. I think a lot of what she wants is the whole just being active feeling. I don't know how much is actually going to change. Like I said I think it's just something she wants to do, to feel active.

I will see what she thinks about the proposed circuit. What if any alterations should I make. I mean hell I don't wanna break the poor lady.

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I will start collaborating and see what I can put together. If anyone has any further suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. I will take any ounce of help I can get.

Thanks again for your help,

-Freeze

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks much for your help. I probably should have included her age and such. She's in her early 60's and as far as the equipment, that was going to be something I got for her after I figured out what do to.

Thanks for that circuit. I will take a look at it and see where to go with it. As I am really unsure as to what her fitness level is. I think a lot of what she wants is the whole just being active feeling. I don't know how much is actually going to change. Like I said I think it's just something she wants to do, to feel active.

I will see what she thinks about the proposed circuit. What if any alterations should I make. I mean hell I don't wanna break the poor lady.

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I will start collaborating and see what I can put together. If anyone has any further suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. I will take any ounce of help I can get.

Thanks again for your help,

-Freeze
All good. If she's older and not that fit, just get her doing ONE circuit (and as she gets fitter, etc., you can progress). They are just EXAMPLES; you can do numerous things and mix and match a whole host of exercises. Do some research on older people and exercise; you'll quite often find sample training programmes in textbooks (or make up your own from reading).

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
At 60, I suggest a community exercise group to keep her motivated. Or a even a video series that has 20 or 30 minute workouts. I'd hate to see her get hurt in some way, if you couldn't be there to monitor everything that she's doing.

I frequently have patients that jump on the bandwagon after retirement and do absolutely fantastic on real basic wellness programs. Good luck!

kkschaef

kkschaef

Awards
Try adding in some band work as well. Its a fun change and has different resistance than dumbbells. You can do much of the same exercises with bands as dumbells and bands give a constant resistance. they're great for beginners.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like the Bodysculpting by Gilad series, a combo of aerobic, light weights + bands and plymetrics

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Beau Training Forum 5
Supplements 7
Cheeky Monkey Supplements 2
Training Forum 4
Nutrition / Health 11