Getting My Girlfriend Started

yeahsanta

Awards
Im looking to get my girlfriend set up on a work out routine for beginners. Her goal is to lose weight that she has put on throughout college. She is 4'11" and 118lbs currently. This is a plan that I found at the University of Arkansas, Medical Sciences webpage... Im having a bit of trouble understanding it though...

3 Day Female Split:
This program is designed for three (3) sessions per week with the ability to train two consecutive days if needed with sessions I and II. Session III should always be preceded AND followed by a day off since it is a full body workout. The workouts are divided into 3 different sections with each section targeting different muscle groups. Be sure to follow all guidelines exactly for best results. If you are just beginning a resistance training program DO NOT perform movements marked (*) until the fourth week of training.

Approximate Time Required: 50 minutes
Warm-up: 5 minutes (your choice of cardio)
Additional warm-up listed below
Cool-down: Included in program
Rest Intervals (between sets) 45 seconds – weeks 1, 2 and 3
30 seconds – week 4 and following
Rest during abdominal training is noted below

MHR: Maximum Heart Rate (220-your age)

Session I: Chest, shoulders, hamstrings, abs, triceps
Warm-up: one set of 15-20 reps on chest press with a light weight

Chest Press (5) 12-15 reps
Pec Fly (5) 12-15 reps
Complete this circuit two (2) times following the appropriate rest schedule

Shoulder Press (7) 12-15 reps
Rear Deltoid (7) 12-15 reps
Complete this circuit two (2) times following the appropriate rest schedule

Hamstring Curl (1) 12-15 reps
Glute Machine (4) 12-15 reps / each
Outer Thigh (3) 15-20 reps
Complete this circuit two (2) times following the appropriate rest schedule. If you are a beginner complete only one (1) circuit for the first three (3) weeks.

Vertical Knee Raise (20)* 10-15 reps
Stability Ball Crunch* 15-20 reps
Ab Crunch Machine (9) 15-20 reps
Go from one movement to the next as quickly as possible. Follow the appropriate rest schedule AFTER completing the circuit. Perform two (2) circuits

Triceps Extension (8) 12-15 reps
Triceps Pressdown (6)* 12-15 reps
Complete this circuit two (2) times following the appropriate rest schedule.

Session II: Back, biceps, quadriceps (front of thigh)

Lat Pulldown (6) 12-15 reps
Row (6) 12-15 reps
Complete this circuit two (2) times following the appropriate rest schedule.

Arm Curl (8) 12-15 reps
Hammer Curl (FW)* 12-15 reps
Complete this circuit three (3) times following the appropriate rest schedule. If you are a beginner perform only two (2) circuits for the first three (3) weeks.

Knee Extension (single) (1) 12-15 reps / each
Inner Thigh (3) 15-20 reps
Leg Press (2) 15-20 reps
Complete this circuit three (3) times following the appropriate rest schedule. If you are a beginner perform only two (2) circuits for the first three (3) weeks.

Back Extension or Hyperextension (9) 15-20 reps
Perform three (3) sets of this movement following the appropriate rest schedule. If you are a beginner perform only two (2) sets.

Cardio (your choice) 5 minutes @ 65-70% MHR
5 minutes @ 60-65% MHR

Session III: Full Body

Circuit A:
Perform one (1) set of 12-15 reps of each movement. Go from one movement to the next as quickly as possible with no rest. After completing the circuit rest one (1) minute. Go to “Circuit B”.

Chest Press (5)
Hamstring Curl (1)
Row (6)
Knee Extension (1)
Pec Fly (5)
Leg Press (2)
Lat Pull (6)
Shoulder Press (7)
Arm Curl (8)
Triceps Pressdown (6)

Circuit B:
Same guidelines as “Circuit A”.

Outer Thigh (3)
Chest Press (5)
Inner Thigh (3)
Row (6)
Glute Machine (4)
Rear Deltoid (7)
Hamstring Curl (1)
Triceps Extension (8)

Circuit C:
Perform one (1) set of 15-20 reps of each movement. Go from one movement to the next as quickly as possible with no rest. After completing the circuit rest one (1) minute. Go to “Circuit D”.

Outer Thigh (3)
Glute machine (4)
Inner Thigh (3)
Leg Press (2)
Shoulder Press (7)
Arm Curl (8)

Circuit D:
Perform this circuit two (2) times with as little rest as possible. 15-20 reps per movement.

Back Extension (9)
Vertical Knee Raise*
Hyperextension*
Ab Crunch Machine (9) or Stability Ball Crunch

Finish with five (5) minutes of cardio @ 60-65% MHR

Im a bit unfamiliar with circuit training, and what i'd like to know is if this is a solid routine for a beginner? Is the number in the captions the amount of sets??? How exactly does one go through a "circuit"? Could someone lead me through this a bit... Thanks for you time and patience.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I would have her start training with you. If you do circuit training right off the bat you are likely to burn her out. A circuit is preformed with little rest and doing one exercise right after the other.

I train doing some plyometric work and free weights with machines doing the same exercises as most guys. Plus she is likely to feel more comfortable starting with you. As she builds a little muscle then she can decide what training style she wants. Make sure she gets in 3 days of cardio as well. And nail diet down.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
i hear foreplay and spontaneous........... o wait.... wrong subject

kkschaef

kkschaef

Awards
Keep it simple. Your girlfriend can do the same type of workout you do. She will just use less weight than you do. that program seems very confusing and for beginners its best to keep it simple. Show her the basics and get her started that way. Have her start at around 10-15 reps per exercise and 3 sets to begin.

yeahsanta

Awards
Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I'll start her off with me for now, as she adapts maybe set her up on something else. I agree that the circuit training routine could be a bit exhausting though. WE will see how it goes. In response to thaOrleanyte: thats where the extra cardio comes in, ha. Thanks again, I've learned tons from reading since becoming a member.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
haha.... touche