just starting

asegovia87

Awards
hello,

i just started working out and tryin a diet i found on bodybuilding.com. its been a month and im seeing results but i find myself not hungry at all when its my turn to have the next meal. im supposed to have 6 meals a day every 2 or 3 hours and sometimes i just cant do it.
is there any other way that i can sorta keep that same diet but not eat so frequently?
also, when i work out, im mostly tryin to losy BF, should i work out my whole body each time or do legs one day, arms another day and so on?
andd last question, should i do cardio and weights on the same day or should i alternate them?

thank youuu hopefully someone can help me?

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
In reality, unless your a competitive bodybuilder its not absolutely neccesary to eat 6 meals a day. Basically the idea is to just eat as frequently as possible to keep you body in state where it's using, not storing, the nutrients your taking in.

as far as a workout program goes theres really too many to list in one response. i would search for workout programs, and try a different one out each week to see what works for you. It will be fun trying different splits/reps/exercises, it will keep your body guessing, and along the way you'll find exactly what your looking for.

As far as cardio goes, some people do it in the morning, then come back and do weights at night, some do 30-45mn after weights, some do it on a whole seperate day, etc, etc. The main thing is to just do it, but not immediately before weights, you need your glycogen stores lift weights, doing the cardio before weights will strip you of much needed strength.

And, im assuming your female, contrary to popular belief, weight lifting will not make you huge as a female you will just get more toned the more you lift, you wont look like Chyna from the WWF, she did more than just pump iron...

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
OP, maybe your meals are too big. I find that if my meals are sized about right it is much easier for me to eat again in 3 hours. Only when I have big, super-filling meals do I have trouble eating again. Also, for me, when I work out hard enough, I am constantly hungry. Perhaps you need some more intensity in your workouts?

GXbcmFTO

Awards
OP, maybe your meals are too big. I find that if my meals are sized about right it is much easier for me to eat again in 3 hours. Only when I have big, super-filling meals do I have trouble eating again. Also, for me, when I work out hard enough, I am constantly hungry. Perhaps you need some more intensity in your workouts?
I had the problem of not being hungry when I was eating 6 solid meals a day as well. What I did was replace 1 of them with a shake. I still eat every 3 hours, since I work nights my meals go like this: 1930, 2300, 0200, 0530, 0830-0900 (depening on when I get back home Pre-Sleep Shake). I keep my meals kind of light and am usually craving the next one about 30mins prior.

I'd recommend Crossfit, its great for overall fitness and is intense.

~GX

EDIT: By the way, I'm going to try and get my wife to follow a crossfit program as well, even tho I don't (different goals)

asegovia87

Awards
well this is what i do:
(please critique my diet if you think anything needs to get changed)

breakfast- 1 packet of oatmeal, 15 almonds, 1 scoop protein shake.
mid morning- 1 scoop protein shake and 15 almonds.
lunch- same as breakfast pretty much. although i find myself not hungry at all so i skip the oatmeal.
mid afternoon- 1 scoop protein shake
dinner- same as lunch although i really try to eat some chicken (6 ounces) but sometimes i cant do it bc of work.
and for my last meal i should have another shake but its either too late or i really just cant take it.

any input? thank you for your help!!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hello,

i just started working out and tryin a diet i found on bodybuilding.com. its been a month and im seeing results but i find myself not hungry at all when its my turn to have the next meal. im supposed to have 6 meals a day every 2 or 3 hours and sometimes i just cant do it.
is there any other way that i can sorta keep that same diet but not eat so frequently?
also, when i work out, im mostly tryin to losy BF, should i work out my whole body each time or do legs one day, arms another day and so on?
andd last question, should i do cardio and weights on the same day or should i alternate them?

thank youuu hopefully someone can help me?
Your diet needs redoing, looking at it.

If you're just beginnning, then doing full-body sessions will be more beneficial for you. Or you could do a Full-Body day and an Upper Body day and a Lower Body day. Doing body-part splits is for more advanced trainees. Try for 2-3 resistance sessions a week, with a day between them. Do the multijoint, compound exercises (i.e. squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over rows, shoulder press, dips, etc.). If you're just starting 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps per exercise is fine.

You can do cardio and weights on the same day if you like. If you're starting out I would recommend alternating them.

For example, just a couple of suggestions on weekly training schedules:

Variation A:
Monday - Gym Full-Body OR Lower Body
Tuesday - HIIT Cardio
Wednesday - Gym Full-Body
Thursday - HIIT Cardio
Friday - Gym Full-Body OR Upper Body
Saturday - HIIT Cardio
Sunday - DAY OFF

Variation B:
Monday - Gym Full-Body OR Lower Body
Tuesday - HIIT Cardio
Wednesday - DAY OFF
Thursday - Gym Full Body OR Upper Body
Friday - HIIT Cardio
Saturday - DAY OFF
Sunday - HIIT Cardio

well this is what i do:
(please critique my diet if you think anything needs to get changed)

breakfast- 1 packet of oatmeal, 15 almonds, 1 scoop protein shake.
mid morning- 1 scoop protein shake and 15 almonds.
lunch- same as breakfast pretty much. although i find myself not hungry at all so i skip the oatmeal.
mid afternoon- 1 scoop protein shake
dinner- same as lunch although i really try to eat some chicken (6 ounces) but sometimes i cant do it bc of work.
and for my last meal i should have another shake but its either too late or i really just cant take it.

any input? thank you for your help!!
You're not eating enough, girl. And protein shakes do NOT count as food, even if they are calories. Food has a thermogenic effect, so if you are looking to lose BF you're better off eating REAL food. I would recommend you stop having so many protein shakes, and have ACTUAL meals! 5 meals a day is fine enough, with 2-3 hours between them.

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
Guejsn knows what she's talking about - look at her! Seriously Segovia, eat real food.

A lot of people on here will tell you the same thing - go out on Saturday and buy a whole bunch of meat from the grocery. Buy as many different lean meats and you'll eat - chicken, turkey lean beef, lean pork, fish, lamb, whatever. Marinate it over night and have a HUGE grill-fest on Sunday. Then put each 6-8 oz. serving in its own baggie/tupperware and freeze it. Now you have the protein base for each of your meals. Pick up some broccoli or spinach and brown rice and Ezekial bread and you're set for at least a week!

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
~ Fundamental Guidelines ~
  • Workout hard - There are many different workout regimes, many that work well. Generally: Strength training is in the 6 rep range / Bodybuilding in the 8-10 rep range. - Rep range warmup: 15 ( sets 1 & 2 ) Working: 10, 8, 6 last three sets add drop sets to failure )

• Fast Efficient Workouts = 1hr - This is not hard and fast but studies have shown that Cortisol rises after 1hr

• Protein shake immediately after workout and then protein meal with carbs etc within 1hr

• Creatine - Mono or CEE you decide. Both before and after workout.

• Daily meals - 5 - 6 day ( including shakes ) protein = 1g per pound of body weight. Meal 1 ( breakies ) is shake plus oatmeal or whatever else you want ( apple is good fibre / system crap mover ), Meal 6 is post workout shake with creatine etc and then solid food meal. Carbs tapered down from morning to evening and fats tapered up from morning to evening. Protein is a constant.

• Sleep 8 - 10 hrs a night ( very imp for all natural BB'ers )

• Supps - Do you note the order in which these are and where supps come??? - a) Multivitamin / B complex b) Whey protein c) creatine e) Test boosters / stacks etc
~ Exercises ~
  • Squats - Biggest muscle and boosts test like crazy, work em hard and see results big time.

• Deadlifts / Chins / Bent over Rows / Pulldowns - 1st attempt either an palm up or palm down chin at the beginning of your back workout, if you can do one, try two, if you can do 15, add weight. Most important for back is to make the mind / muscle connection. Concentrate ( start with low weight and excellent form ) on getting a good contraction and not swinging with the weight. Calm controlled up down with good squeeze of lats at bottom of rep. All about the connection / squeeze

• Leg press

• Flat Bench Dumbell / Barbell - Always swap it up, it takes more muscle etc to do dumbells ( stabilizing muscles etc ) but switch it up - Start with dips to hit lower chest then move to flat bench / incline.

• Core work - Abs / lower back - work the weaker harder.
This should give you a good idea....Best thing for test.....squats ....good form, warm up well, be careful and grow!

Here's some links to get you started:

Training Primer

HIIT High Intensity Interval Cardio Training

Bill Starr 5x5 - Madcow Intermediate or Linear Version

Bodybuilding Nutrition - Sample Bodybuilding Diet

The Training Information Vault (programs, exercises and more) - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Anabolic Diet | Sample Bodybuilders Diet

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Oh snaps, Neo slips his FAQ in one more time. You snake! :)