I just got elected to help some girls....

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
OTAY......I just got a call from a friend. She is the young adults teachers wife at church, she and the youth pastors wife want me to help train them a lil at the gym with things such as medicine balls and other various workouts. They know from church I am in shape, I study supps and working out and diet. Problem being I dont know too much about the woman's side when it comes to specialization.

They re looking for more exercise than just swimming. Medicine ball, sit up type things, and more. Uh...I just got drafted to be a personal trainer. Can I get some help? They are both fairly healthy, but not near athlete levels. if they can do a 10 minute run its good for them, which on a personal level is great we all have our own paths.

Could I get a good list of workouts that are cardio based/ab related? I know a lot myself, but i wanted some professional input. I am going to be researching for a few hours as is.

I know a decent bit, but I trust myself with me, now I am responsible for helping someone else o.o I just want to make sure I can help them the best I can.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
A suggestion

OTAY......I just got a call from a friend. She is the young adults teachers wife at church, she and the youth pastors wife want me to help train them a lil at the gym with things such as medicine balls and other various workouts. They know from church I am in shape, I study supps and working out and diet. Problem being I dont know too much about the woman's side when it comes to specialization.

They re looking for more exercise than just swimming. Medicine ball, sit up type things, and more. Uh...I just got drafted to be a personal trainer. Can I get some help? They are both fairly healthy, but not near athlete levels. if they can do a 10 minute run its good for them, which on a personal level is great we all have our own paths.

Could I get a good list of workouts that are cardio based/ab related? I know a lot myself, but i wanted some professional input. I am going to be researching for a few hours as is.

I know a decent bit, but I trust myself with me, now I am responsible for helping someone else o.o I just want to make sure I can help them the best I can.
If they're simply trying to get fitter: Try giving them circuits (works on cardiovascular fitness, muscular endurance, and sometimes can help with strength (depending on how you set it up), which sounds like what they need), incorporating medicine balls, swiss balls, calisthenics, and plyometrics. Pick 10 exercises and get them to do 2-3 (or more) rounds (start off with less, and then work on increasing), with the only break they get moving from exercise to exercise, and then 1-2 minutes at the end of each circuit. Maybe 10-20 reps per exercise (depending on the exercise). You can mix-and-match a whole heap of different circuits. And you don't have to do reps; you could do, say 1-minute on each exercise and then move to the next. Use your imagination...Get them doing a warm-up (i.e. that 10-minute run) before they do the circuit, and then make sure that they stretch for ~10-15 minutes after completing training.

Just to note, that there really is no 'women's side' when it comes to training. Hell, what works for guys works just as well for females (and anyone that tries to tell you otherwise is ignorant).

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
If they're simply trying to get fitter: Try giving them circuits (works on cardiovascular fitness, muscular endurance, and sometimes can help with strength (depending on how you set it up), which sounds like what they need), incorporating medicine balls, swiss balls, calisthenics, and plyometrics. Pick 10 exercises and get them to do 2-3 (or more) rounds (start off with less, and then work on increasing), with the only break they get moving from exercise to exercise, and then 1-2 minutes at the end of each circuit. Maybe 10-20 reps per exercise (depending on the exercise). You can mix-and-match a whole heap of different circuits. And you don't have to do reps; you could do, say 1-minute on each exercise and then move to the next. Use your imagination...Get them doing a warm-up (i.e. that 10-minute run) before they do the circuit, and then make sure that they stretch for ~10-15 minutes after completing training.

Just to note, that there really is no 'women's side' when it comes to training. Hell, what works for guys works just as well for females (and anyone that tries to tell you otherwise is ignorant).
thanks I was actually hoping you would jump in Guejsn, yay.

Yeah I understand its mostly the same save for some minor tweaks due to....difference. With myself though I always pushed past my breaking point then kept crawling after I broke.... I know I have to be much lighter with these girls.

I am going to have to research how to put a circuit together for em.

I feel weird lol. Well I always talked about being a PT....time to step up!

Thanks for the input. I will try to have them some basics by tomorrow.

Last edited:
Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Example for you...

thanks I was actually hoping you would jump in Guejsn, yay.

Yeah I understand its mostly the same save for some minor tweaks due to....difference. With myself though I always pushed past my breaking point then kept crawling after I broke.... I know I have to be much lighter with these girls.

I am going to have to research how to put a circuit together for em.

I feel weird lol. Well I always talked about being a PT....time to step up!

Thanks for the input. I will try to have them some basics by tomorrow.
No worries, Zero.

You don't need to have "minor tweaks due to...difference" (that's bullshit)...As for going "lighter", if they have never done anything like that before, then, yeah, you would start them off easier. But realize that they will never improve if they think that they can do everything at a nice, easy pace and never progress.

You don't need to research how to put a circuit together. Just pick 8-10 exercises; order them so that you're the big body-parts/exercises first (i.e. legs, chest, back, shoulders, arms, abs, etc.); decide whether you will use time or reps for each exercise (i.e. 1 min per exercise or 15 reps per exercise); and then set it up. It's pretty easy and takes no time at all.

Example:
A. warm-up with 10-minute run
B. Circuit (Complete 3 sets of 10 reps per exercise, with 1 minute rest at the end of the circuit)
1. Bodyweight Squats (holding medicine ball out in front of the body)
2. Alternate Forward Lunges (10 reps per leg)
3. Plyometric Box Jumps (10 reps per leg)
4. Push-Ups
5. Bench Dips
6. Swiss-ball crunches
7. Medicine ball twists (i.e. 20 reps total)
8. Plank (hold for 60 sec instead of doing reps)
9. Lying Abductors (10 reps per leg)
10. Lying Adductors (10 reps per leg)
C. Finish with 5-10 minutes of strecthing (making sure you do a stretch for each muscle group (i.e. quads, hams, glutes, hip flexors, adductors, lower back, chest, back, shoulders, triceps, neck, etc.), holding each stretch for 20-30 seconds per stretch).

Just mix and match exercises. It's not that hard. Good luck.

Does anorexic count as being in shape?
Are you kidding me? Smartass. But, NO, being anorexic does NOT count as being "in shape"; it's a serious disorder and needs professional help and rehabilitation, and not something you should be joking about!

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
No worries, Zero.

You don't need to have "minor tweaks due to...difference" (that's bullshit)...As for going "lighter", if they have never done anything like that before, then, yeah, you would start them off easier. But realize that they will never improve if they think that they can do everything at a nice, easy pace and never progress.

You don't need to research how to put a circuit together. Just pick 8-10 exercises; order them so that you're the big body-parts/exercises first (i.e. legs, chest, back, shoulders, arms, abs, etc.); decide whether you will use time or reps for each exercise (i.e. 1 min per exercise or 15 reps per exercise); and then set it up. It's pretty easy and takes no time at all.

Example:
B. Circuit (Complete 3 sets of 10 reps per exercise, with 1 minute rest at the end of the circuit)
4. Push-Ups
5. Bench Dips
6. Swiss-ball crunches
C. Finish with 5-10 minutes of strecthing (making sure you do a stretch for each muscle group (i.e. quads, hams, glutes, hip flexors, adductors, lower back, chest, back, shoulders, triceps, neck, etc.), holding each stretch for 20-30 seconds per stretch).

Are you kidding me? Smartass. But, NO, being anorexic does NOT count as being "in shape"; it's a serious disorder and needs professional help and rehabilitation, and not something you should be joking about!

I was giving Zero V a hard time for weighing 140 lbs. DURRRRRR :icon_lol:

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Bro I can eat like a hog man, it just comes hard. I am actually about 143 right now. I look like I weigh more to people in person, I am just friggin light. Cant help it lol. I am fixing that during this winter with my bulk. I did weigh 130 not too long ago....Naturally if all I did was run I would weigh in the upper 120's. When I wrestled it was 130, So being to 143 in muscle is nice and a first. 155 by new years! Peace of Cake!

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
No worries, Zero.

Example:
4. Push-Ups
5. Bench Dips
6. Swiss-ball crunches

thanks, I know its not hard, I am just unsure how well ts going to work the first time. But thats whats fun :) Finding out what works for them and helping them improve.

EDIT:Wow now that I got all that set up, that circuit you gave is perfect! It will be perfect for them. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Went great today, I made em a little chart/list that described the workouts I gave them, and today I went through all the workouts with them and demonstrated and helped them with form. I kept most of your advice but tossed the plyometric box and one of the lying abductors. Added in abominable rollout and flutter kicks lol.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
My bad :D

thanks, I know its not hard, I am just unsure how well ts going to work the first time. But thats whats fun :) Finding out what works for them and helping them improve.

EDIT:Wow now that I got all that set up, that circuit you gave is perfect! It will be perfect for them. Thanks again!
Definitely. You have to find what works for the client, and make it enjoyable for them, too. All good.

Went great today, I made em a little chart/list that described the workouts I gave them, and today I went through all the workouts with them and demonstrated and helped them with form. I kept most of your advice but tossed the plyometric box and one of the lying abductors. Added in abominable rollout and flutter kicks lol.
Good. Yeah, plometric box jumps can be pretty hard and very tiring. Also, "one of the lying abductors"; do you mean the lying abductors or you just tossed on of the abductors/adductors exercises? If you are going to take one out, then make sure that it IS the ABDUCTORS, since most females have weak ADDUCTORS (also remember that you need to BALANCE out the muscles, so if you do an exercise for adductors, then something should be kept in that will work the abductors (i.e. the lunges will do this) as well). And quick note, that MORE abwork is not always better. If you are tryig to build core strength, then it is better to do exercises like squats, that force you to stabilize and work the entire core.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I meant i didn't use the adductors of the set. Even though they kinda go hand in hand. Though we did the squats and lunges. They quite enjoyed that. the one wants to talk about it alot, she also likes talking about diet, carbs, how eating effects the workout. Why the body does what it does. The other one is a bit taller. She actually cant do the Abdominal Rollout at all. Or pushups. So I am having her do modified pushups using the wall. She says her lower back has no strength so I showed her some stuff for that and pointed out 2 machines that would help. The had already done a lot of cardio when I got there, then they went swimming after we were done.

I am still going to modify it some to aid them. They could only do 2 sets of each. Most the the time I worked on form, so it wasn't a normal unbroken circuit. I had to talk to them because they were worried how they looked, and I had to give the "check your ego at the door" lecture. lol. It was fun for all of us though.And I think the idea is to switch it up each month to keep it fresh. So, I think everything will get touched. Thanks alot for the help.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I meant i didn't use the adductors of the set. Even though they kinda go hand in hand. Though we did the squats and lunges. They quite enjoyed that. the one wants to talk about it alot, she also likes talking about diet, carbs, how eating effects the workout. Why the body does what it does. The other one is a bit taller. She actually cant do the Abdominal Rollout at all. Or pushups. So I am having her do modified pushups using the wall. She says her lower back has no strength so I showed her some stuff for that and pointed out 2 machines that would help. The had already done a lot of cardio when I got there, then they went swimming after we were done.

I am still going to modify it some to aid them. They could only do 2 sets of each. Most the the time I worked on form, so it wasn't a normal unbroken circuit. I had to talk to them because they were worried how they looked, and I had to give the "check your ego at the door" lecture. lol. It was fun for all of us though.And I think the idea is to switch it up each month to keep it fresh. So, I think everything will get touched. Thanks alot for the help.
She likes talking about it, huh (well, so long as they actually LISTEN and take to heed what is said on how to go about things, and don't just talk about it and then do the opposite, then it should be fine)...Already done lots of cardio and were going to do more afterwards? Obvioulsy it wasn't hard ENOUGH, then...Eliminate both adductors and abductors, then, if you are going to take that out; squats, especially of done in a sumo squat position, will work the adductors...The abdominal roll-out is a very ADVANCED exercise, and I would NOT give it to a beginner at all, to be honest. If she can't do full push-ups, then let her do it on her knees; and as long as she keeps her butt down, and her back straight (i.e. you should be able to put a broomstick on her back and it should be straight and stay there) while doing them, she'll be fine. If her lower back has no strength, then you need to work on that; as WELL as her core strength...As long as their form is fine, then they shouldn't be too worried with HOW they look...2 sets is fine, to begin with. And yes, every 4-6 weeks, EVERY programme should be changed, so that the body does not adapt to it.

I shall leave you to it, then. As you said, it's time for you to 'step up to the plate', so to speak.