Why Natty PB before Bed?

Grant

Awards
  • Established
What is the reasoning behind natty PB before bed, why not just take EFA's. Is it because of the extra cals/ fat slowing down protien? Id assume this would be for bulking only, not cutting. Ive alwyas seen PB used before bed and have wondered why.

taffer

Awards
yeah its because it slows down the digestion of the protein.... in theory its better to use another fat source, but peanut butter just tastes so damn good :D
its perfectly fine for cutting! just dont overload on omega-6's!

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
Olive Oil, Cinnamon, Peanuts, Splenda. Stick in Food Processor and you have the best peanut butter you will ever taste. So fresh, only thing is that its kinda clumpy and not very smooth.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Olive Oil, Cinnamon, Peanuts, Splenda. Stick in Food Processor and you have the best peanut butter you will ever taste. So fresh, only thing is that its kinda clumpy and not very smooth.
Add more olive oil then. Or blend a little longer.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Why Natty PB before Bed?
Just because it's so freakin' good! IMO peanut butter is the "Staff of Life". The homemade concoctions (Bohica) kick a$$, too!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The majority of delay when it comes to fats is either

a) When they are in a solid state and it delays the breakdown of bolus (solid like state) into chyme (semi-liquid) state. With a shake, this process is already complete so that delay is almost nonexistant....Think of red meat and the difference in fats vs. oils.

b) The emulsification of saturated or transfatty acids within the small intestine. At this point the absortion of amino's is already taking place.

So in general when your fat amount is about 1-2tblsp within a liquid state already (thanks to your blender) the delay in amino absortion is almost non-existant.

Whole foods are where fats delay digestion the most. Even then the actual absortion of nutrients (amino's specifically) isn't altered that much. The process of breaking down whole foods and trasnfering them to the lower part of the stomach and into the small intestine is just a much slower process because of its makeup.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So in general, people thinkin that adding flax oil or PB to a shake will change the absoriotn from about 15-45 minutes to 3-4 hours are completely wrong.

Sixpack

Awards
So Bobo are u against fat pre-bed then? WOuld one opt for a slower digesting protein with some mixed veggies be more suitable?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, not at all. There are many benefits EFA's can give before bed. I just don't overload it.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I understand why olive oil & flax oil wouldn't slow down digestion, but peanut butter doesn't seem like an oil to me. I mean plain peanut butter btw, not blended in a shake.

Also, would whole nuts like walnuts & almonds be a good source of fats at bedtime?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If its not blended then it would delay digestion some but its nothing like fats found in red meats.

Andrew69

Board Supporter
Awards
Blend you peanuts first until they are the consistancy you want, and the rest of the dry ingredients, blend again to mix, and then add the olive oil last.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
No it doesn't.
DAMNIT for once I wanted to be the one to make a three letter sentence that had some damn fact to it. But the clown always beats me to it! :rasp:

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So throwing some natty into a post w/o shake wouldnt hurt for xtra protein and flavor?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
nope.. its just extra calories.. if you want them its fine.. I believe it does lower overall meal GI. i read that in glucose revolution, but it wouldnt change it much at all.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
So throwing some natty into a post w/o shake wouldnt hurt for xtra protein and flavor?
I'm far from an expert on the subject, but from my knowledge, slowing digestion isn't the reason people avoid fats post workout. You avoid fats pwo because when you're getting a huge insulin spike, you don't need to add fat to the mix(unless you want to get fat).

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
If its not blended then it would delay digestion some but its nothing like fats found in red meats.
Is this particularly read meat or all solid saturated fat? Like maybe 2% or 4% cottage cheese?

What about fiber? Would it delay digestion more or less than red meat?

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm far from an expert on the subject, but from my knowledge, slowing digestion isn't the reason people avoid fats post workout. You avoid fats pwo because when you're getting a huge insulin spike, you don't need to add fat to the mix(unless you want to get fat).
Yeah that makes sense I guess. Combining fats with all those carbs prob is a recipe for fatness. I suppose you could do it in your morning shake without hurting anything.

taffer

Awards
Is this particularly read meat or all solid saturated fat? Like maybe 2% or 4% cottage cheese?
bump to that question, i eat 3% cottage cheese before bed with my PB, would this slow digestion much?

also bobo, when you say "dont go overboard" what is "overboard"
i have 19g of fat pre-bed (i have most of my EFA's in my last 2 meals)
although i REALLY enjoy my 30g of PB at night, its just so damn tasty! :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't go over 10-15g personally. And that is right before bed.

Red meat (unless the fat has been taken out like with low fat ground) will always delay digestion much more than any fiber will. Fiber delays disgestion once in the small intestine. It also depends on the makeup of fiber. Soluble/Insoluble have completly different actions. One speeds up the GI tract while one delays it. Red Meat with mod to high fat content delays digestion within the stomach. It will DEFINETLY take longer to digest. Saturated fats in general will take longer to breakdown in the small intestine due to chemical strucuture. In high amounts this can be as high as 6-9 hours.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
psyillium = slower digestion
Fiber One = quicker digestion?????? Or do I have those backwards??? :think: It's early....I haven't had my ALCAR yet. :frustrate

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Are you still waiting for the answer to choose your fiber, SJA? :D

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Both are valid reasons. Fat is a 'slow' energy source and the reasoning is that during or after intense exercise you need a 'fast' source like carbs.

Yes adding fats to a high calorie/high carb PWO shake can lead to fat gain but that is as much from the added calories as from the presence of fat itself. If you keep the same amount of calories but replace some of the carbs with fat, the difference will be much less. Don't lose sight of total calories.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
So waiting to have my steak until bed time is ok?

CROWLER

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Especially before bed, a lean-cut of beef would be an excellent choice for a meal. If you can handle having a steak in your stomach before you sleep. The only problem is that when your body gets a solid chunk of protein (especially red meat) your body will tend to produces a lot more HCL and pepsinogen (further transduced to pepsin) to help break it down. In some people who have lower esophageal sphincter problems this is a concern because of GERD (Gastroespohageal Reflux Dirsorder).
I get heartburn especially after a high protein meal and it is only made worse by being prone or supine. I have found that if i want to eat a good meat before bed that ill take some papaya extract. It has papain in it (peptidase) and will help break down the protein into a more usable form. This might help compensate for your bodies production of enzymes and acids.

The ultimate meal that I have found for at night is

1/2 can of albacore tuna
1/2 cup of 2% low-fat cottage cheese
3g of CLA
2g of Fish body oils (mainly O-3's)

That is what has worked for me.

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Especially before bed, a lean-cut of beef would be an excellent choice for a meal. If you can handle having a steak in your stomach before you sleep. The only problem is that when your body gets a solid chunk of protein (especially red meat) your body will tend to produces a lot more HCL and pepsinogen (further transduced to pepsin) to help break it down. In some people who have lower esophageal sphincter problems this is a concern because of GERD (Gastroespohageal Reflux Dirsorder).
I get heartburn especially after a high protein meal and it is only made worse by being prone or supine. I have found that if i want to eat a good meat before bed that ill take some papaya extract. It has papain in it (peptidase) and will help break down the protein into a more usable form. This might help compensate for your bodies production of enzymes and acids.

The ultimate meal that I have found for at night is

1/2 can of albacore tuna
1/2 cup of 2% low-fat cottage cheese
3g of CLA
2g of Fish body oils (mainly O-3's)

That is what has worked for me.