Arnold's "Enclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding"

Just how valuable do you find the contents of this book to be?

• Very valuable. Great insight.

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Mostly common sense stuff. Nothing new here.

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Just a long, pointless book. I knew it all already.

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
What, if you read it, did you like about it? In other words, what information did you find to be most valuable? I'm hoping that the nutrition section will give me some insight on "cutting." And I'm hoping that the training section will give me some insight on keeping/gaining strength while cutting.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Personally, i found it as more of an entertainment piece. I would look more towards Nutrition expert authored articles that you can find on AM or other sites such as T-Nation. Most of the information was hear say based and some lacked science.

Do not take me as bashing Mr. Schwarzenegger but there are way better options out there.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Personally, i found it as more of an entertainment piece. I would look more towards Nutrition expert authored articles that you can find on AM or other sites such as T-Nation. Most of the information was hear say based and some lacked science.

Do not take me as bashing Mr. Schwarzenegger but there are way better options out there.
Yeah, I just read the nutrition section. And it was not quite as informative as I'd hoped. Not nearly as informative in all actuality. DAMN. but i'm gonna read the book nonetheless. I bet ol' Arnold can give me some tips on psyching up the mental aspect. Dude's a riot, and his analogies thus far are entertaining.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
right, it is a great book for the bodybuilder.
is it the best book for nutritional guidance? no.
is it the best book for training guidance? no.

is it authored by the best bodybuilder of all time? yes. therefore, i am sure we can all (regardless of goals) can learn a thing or two.

plus, it is cheap. you can pick up used copies on amazon for $10.!!! buy it, read it, keep it.

Some other books that i own that give some good insights are:
Comprehensive Sports Nutrition by Justin Harris - Excellent resource for competitive bodybuilders and powerlifters. Q&A style, quick and to the point.

Diets Designed for Athletes by Karinch - Gives examples of diets aimed at athletes in many different sports.

Biochemistry by Voet, Donald; Voet, Judith G. - My BioChem mini lessons.

Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes - A look at the American diet (and lack thereof).

Encyclopedia of Sports and Fitness Nutrition by Liz Applegate - Search for diets based around specific sports and problems.

I also have some others from my classes and whatnot. IF you have some questions, PM me bro...

good luck

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I bought the book and I've learned quite a few useful things that make the purchase totally worth it.

However, if you soley base your training and diet habits by what this books says, then you aren't going to get far.

The nutrition section was especially disapointing. As far as I can tell, he never really hits on pre and post-workout nurition, among many other things. But like I said, there are quite a few things I learned that I hadn't read anywhere else that I've put into practice, and I'm glad that I did.

No one book is going to tell you everthing you need to know, so I think reading from a variety of sources is the best bet to take. This book isn't what I expected when I bought it, but I'd still recommend this book for sure.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I found it very helpful and motivating when I was first starting out.

Arnold is numero uno.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
It's those big "encyclopedia" books I read as a kid that gave me a good basis for training :thumbsup:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it is a solid background for anyone getting started. And for us older folks, it is a nice reminder of why we put ourselves through this

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
right, it is a great book for the bodybuilder.
is it the best book for nutritional guidance? no.
is it the best book for training guidance? no.

is it authored by the best bodybuilder of all time? yes. therefore, i am sure we can all (regardless of goals) can learn a thing or two.

plus, it is cheap. you can pick up used copies on amazon for $10.!!! buy it, read it, keep it.

Some other books that i own that give some good insights are:
Comprehensive Sports Nutrition by Justin Harris - Excellent resource for competitive bodybuilders and powerlifters. Q&A style, quick and to the point.

Diets Designed for Athletes by Karinch - Gives examples of diets aimed at athletes in many different sports.

Biochemistry by Voet, Donald; Voet, Judith G. - My BioChem mini lessons.

Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes - A look at the American diet (and lack thereof).

Encyclopedia of Sports and Fitness Nutrition by Liz Applegate - Search for diets based around specific sports and problems.

I also have some others from my classes and whatnot. IF you have some questions, PM me bro...

good luck

thanks for the insight, borobulker. i'm liking reading this. it's nice to be reminded to stay motivated and keep the fundamentals at the forefront. heck, i got this book on trade at the used book shop. i gave her a jack kerouac novel. she let me take the Arnold Book. i'll enjoy this for the reasons previously mentioned and the clever analogies.

thanks to the rest of you guys as well!

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
its worth buying just to see how much big arnie was at 15 then we are now.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Entertaining and motivating are the words that come to my deep dark hole I call a brain.