Ronnie Coleman Leg Press Video

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw the video posted on here with that insane amount of weight. I'm now confident that my leg press form is perfectly fine. Of course if I tried to press as much as him they would be carrying me out of the gym on a stretcher. Still I wonder if there are any videos of him using a lot less weight and better form?.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
People have the worse form on leg presses.They love loading the wieght up then doing quarter reps.I almost went to a guy the other day and say show me your legs......Then show him mine(I'm confident mine are bigger)and be like I never go that heavy but I take it down untill the knees hit my chest or even flare them out and let the sled bottom out.I'm not that way but it will put me in a bad mood when people do this.Theirs even a girl at my gym who does this!

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
I've seen a lot of those videos and Ron Coleman (as big as he is) has the worst form I've ever seen. He uses a lot of momentum on a lot of lifts and doesn't appear to work through a full range of motion most of the time.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's where they're at in their game. Most of them no longer use good form (from looking at their videos) unless it's just a way to sell more videos? In the end just do what works for you and keeps you injury free.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
A lot of their form has to do with just maximizing electrical stimulation during contraction to the muscles and therefore more induced growth. You will notice a lot of pros forgoing form for this tactic. I can confidently say Ronnie knows what works for him lol.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
A lot of their form has to do with just maximizing electrical stimulation during contraction to the muscles and therefore more induced growth. You will notice a lot of pros forgoing form for this tactic. I can confidently say Ronnie knows what works for him lol.
Ya know. Not trying to doubt you, because I know youre pretty intelligent when it comes to this stuff... but that comment sounds like something someone would spout off when they are trying to bullshit their buddies and coming up with something off the top of their head.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've seen a lot of those videos and Ron Coleman (as big as he is) has the worst form I've ever seen. He uses a lot of momentum on a lot of lifts and doesn't appear to work through a full range of motion most of the time.
He doesn't do a "full range of moton."He shortens it with the intent of constantly keeping tension on the muscles so they never have a split second to rest during the set.They are constantly fighting the weight untill it's done.Ben White does this too and he's pretty impressive as well.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I completely agree.Many pros use very fast reps.Where most guys couldn't feel the muscle working period,they're getting some serious contractions from so much practice over the years.They say that fatser reps recruit more muscle fibers within a rep.I have been getting away from it but now I have been reminded to lift as explosively as possible while feeling muscles being worked,with a controlled negative.

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
He doesn't do a "full range of moton."He shortens it with the intent of constantly keeping tension on the muscles so they never have a split second to rest during the set.They are constantly fighting the weight untill it's done.Ben White does this too and he's pretty impressive as well.
I have to say I see most of the bigger guys working chest out this way. I mean, sure if you have a huge torso, your arm's arn't going very far, but still, the movement looks short in comparison to the average lifter. I suspect that this is extreme isolation of the muscle that is being worked, I recall reading a thread on Iron Addicts that stated the same thing about constant tension. From what I understood from it (btw I think the thread was an argument about what the "pump" really was), if the muscle was allowed to relax at all during a set that it allows new oxygen into the muscle and this decreases the exercises' effectiveness compared to if the blood remains trapped in the muscle the entire time.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's funny cause they say to use mainly free weights,yet I see big guys who use mainly machines.They say to use a full ROM,yet I see big guys intentionally shortening it.........

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Ya know. Not trying to doubt you, because I know youre pretty intelligent when it comes to this stuff... but that comment sounds like something someone would spout off when they are trying to bullshit their buddies and coming up with something off the top of their head.
naw dude 100% legit, not trying to bs. Trying to recruit as much muscle stimulation during contraction (aka electrical impulses to the muscle) is an effective training tool at certain points.

I completely agree.Many pros use very fast reps.Where most guys couldn't feel the muscle working period,they're getting some serious contractions from so much practice over the years.They say that fatser reps recruit more muscle fibers within a rep.I have been getting away from it but now I have been reminded to lift as explosively as possible while feeling muscles being worked,with a controlled negative.
Yea dude its insane. If we were to see some fellow gym guy trying it (aka swinging weights, half reps, and such) we chastise him, but the pros can really benefit from it. I think the biggest difference is the pros/really big dudes/smart lifters in general constantly keep the mind muscle connection rather than just "lifting weight".

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think the biggest difference is the pros/really big dudes/smart lifters in general constantly keep the mind muscle connection rather than just "lifting weight".
And I feel they get better and better at it over time.Which may be what you're getting at.I remember when I first started shooting a nail gun,I was slow and missed the rail alot(rail is behind picket)Now I can get it sounding like a machine gun and rarely miss.You get better and better at every thing over time with practice.Like I said,I'm making a consious effort to lift explosively again.

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards

What's impressive is I can still my wipe own ass!

WOW, I can do something Ron Coleman can't!

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
What's impressive is I can still my wipe own ass!

WOW, I can do something Ron Coleman can't!
:toofunny:

and you know, at 300 pounds, that's 600 grams of protein a day... that's a lot of ass wiping.

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
It's funny cause they say to use mainly free weights,yet I see big guys who use mainly machines.They say to use a full ROM,yet I see big guys intentionally shortening it.........
A lot of those big guys use the machines because they are pressing so much weight on such a concetrated area. I read an article about David Henry only using hammerstrength for chest now because he was just getting prone to injury at such high weights when they were free weights. I personally would say to back off the weight and concetrate harder, but then again, I am not 5'4" 225 lbs at 4% bodyfat... he just might know a thing or two more than me. :toofunny:

I mean, how long can you incline press 405 before your joints start going to ****?

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A lot of those big guys use the machines because they are pressing so much weight on such a concetrated area. I read an article about David Henry only using hammerstrength for chest now because he was just getting prone to injury at such high weights when they were free weights. I personally would say to back off the weight and concetrate harder, but then again, I am not 5'4" 225 lbs at 4% bodyfat... he just might know a thing or two more than me. :toofunny:

I mean, how long can you incline press 405 before your joints start going to ****?
IDK,but hopefully I will find out one day and the answer will be a long ass time!
I was referring more to the big guys at my gym who use nothing but machines.Maybe not always,but my jaw drops when they walk to the free weight side.The only pro that I know of anyways that uses lots of machines is Markus Ruhel.And he is(I guess was since he retired)one of the biggest.So........

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I started explosive ass reps and slightly shortening my ROM today........It was AWESOME!!!Watch Branch on his dvd unchained raw reality,and thats me now!I don't use as short of ROM as he will towards the end sometimes.Just how he normally does it most of the time.His one partner needs to lower the weight!His ROM is pathetic!He tries to keep up with Branch,but c'mon!He's fvcking Branch Warren! :nono: