Shoulder injury

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
hey all,

i have a shoulder injury right on the end of my collar-bones (both sides) but in the front. not exactly sure how i got it but i'm suspecting wide grip bench press to the neck.

has anyone had this and if so what did you do for rehab.

this has been ongoing now for about 6 months and i've just had enough.:(

it hurts mostly on chest exercises rather than shoulder exercises if this is any help.

thanks for any help here.

Jag

older-than-dirt

Awards
See a Doc. Might be a flippin rotator injury.

T-Bar

Awards
Bump on the doc. I personally feel that barbell presses are bad news for the shoulders, I use dumbells for all presses except close-grip bench, and I don't lower the weight less than 6 inches from my chest when I do those. I used to work-out in a real hardcore gym down south and it was just an old warehouse where they gave you the combination to the door and you could come in whenever you want. One night I was in there all by myself, at like 3AM doing decline bench and I got stuck with 315. I had to twist my body and push the weight to one side. I think I fucked up my shoulder pretty bad, but I didn't have insurance so I didn't go to the doctor. To this day I have to be real careful with that shoulder, I don't think it healed right. Anyway, I hope you're OK, good luck.

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
A lot of lifters eventually get shoulder problems from doing bench presses otherwise than bringing the bar to the nipples. You probably have some kind of half-chronic inflamation there. Stop doing them, do rotator cuff exercises and take devil's claw root and glucosamine/chondroïtin sulfate. This will probably be enough. If you have coverage, of course getting the doc's opinion is also a good idea.

Anyone here has a good list of rotator-cuff exercises?

I'm also experiencing some difficulty with them. When I do military presses, my right-side shoulder kinda sinks into my torso. Gruesome. :(

[EDIT] Found this on google : http://familydoctor.org/handouts/265.html

But that's sooo basic... I'm really looking for a way to test/strengthen the Teres Major and Minor as well as the infraspinatus muscles INDIVIDUALLY.

Well if someone has anything, post it here, Jag needs it too.

Last edited:
Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the replies guys,

LunaHotel, i found this on a search at bb.com http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian1.htm

mine isn't a rotator cuff, which is lucky i suppose, as it's only causing problems on chest movements. shoulder training isn't really a problem at all.

i found out yesterday it may even be a bicep tendon which tie in around the area that's giving me grief.

i might just devise an upper body routine around exercises that don't bother it at all.

thanks again for replies.

Jag

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
jag,

i agree with others that it would be a good idea to get it checked out by a doc. mine was rotator cuff, i ignored it and wound up havin surgery. fortunately, it turned out ok...

one other thing about usin db for chest presses is that you get a better stretch and rom...give that a try. i now alternate bet db and bb but still like db better. good luck.,

bigbk

Awards
Bump on Glucosamine. Add some MSM (liquid preferably)

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
bigbk,

i've just started taking this glucosamine/MSM (& creatine) combo.
both are in powder form though which i got from kilosports.
it's only been 3 days but together with that & icing the area a.s.a.p. after training seems to be helping.:D

i've never used ice before always opting for heat but it's definately working.

msclbldrguy,

i went to a doctor about 5 years ago with a bulging disc (which later ruptured) and he wanted to operate and fuse 2 discs together.
this, of course, sent me into the biggest depression of my life.

i went to an osteopath 2 days later who had me walking & training again in 6 weeks so i'm VERY reluctant to see a normal "doctor" about training injuries again.

now the first thing i do is consult Dr.Internet :D

thanks again for all replies

Jag

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
bigbk,

i've just started taking this glucosamine/MSM (& creatine) combo.
both are in powder form though which i got from kilosports.
it's only been 3 days but together with that & icing the area a.s.a.p. after training seems to be helping.:D

i've never used ice before always opting for heat but it's definately working.

msclbldrguy,

i went to a doctor about 5 years ago with a bulging disc (which later ruptured) and he wanted to operate and fuse 2 discs together.
this, of course, sent me into the biggest depression of my life.

i went to an osteopath 2 days later who had me walking & training again in 6 weeks so i'm VERY reluctant to see a normal "doctor" about training injuries again.

now the first thing i do is consult Dr.Internet :D

thanks again for all replies

Jag
that is understandable and believe me i was reluctant to get the surgery done, especially since it was gonna set me down from training minimal 3 months. the dr i went to was an orthopedic surgeon recommended by a friend who is a pt. if you know someone in the medical profession who you absolutely trust, i'd start there. plus i knew several people who had used this same dr for their shoulder probs. i had reached the point where i couldnt control even a light weight on any pressing movement. good luck bro...

PC1

When you say the pain is at the end of your collar bone, are you talking about your a/c joints?

If so, I get the same thing. My right was injured in a lifting accident some 17 years ago, and needed surgery to fix. My left now, was giving me pain earlier in the Spring. Even just warming up with an olympic bar, without taking any Ibuprofen, it was like driving a nail through it. I had it checked, and it's osteo arthritis. Apparently it's very common among guys who bench press for years with heavy weight.

Funny thing happend though. I bought 1-test and 4ad and mixed up the transdermal mix suggested here in the PH forum and within 2-3 weeks all pain subsided! I kid you not. Prior to the cycle I talked to my doctor about scheduling surgery just last August because even pulling a t-shirt over my head was painful. I even thought about holding off on the cycle because I was concerned about the pain I experienced doing just about every upper body exercise. But I cancelled surgery and have no plans of rescheduling at this point.

I asked my doctor about it, and he indicated that androgens are similar in structure to corto-costeroids, and that they might have had an anti-inflammatory effect.

Now I don't pretend that either the cycle, the dmso, or both has "cured" the arthritis. But I'm approaching, I don't know, 7 or 8 weeks post cycle. My strength is still way up, and my shoulders feel good, and frankly, I'm not even thinking about surgery any longer. Hopefully it will last ;)

I know of one AS power lifter in his 40's who experiences similar benefits of cycling as well. I wonder if anyone here has "enjoyed" this additional benefit as well?

Also, I've read that the ONLY place we should be lowering the bar on the bench press down to is the bottom of the chest. Any higher only invites rotator cuff damage and puts more stress on the a/c joints as well.

Good luck.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
How about an update, guys?

Recoveries complete?
Any residual pain or limitation?

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
well for me it turned out to be bicep tendon like i thought.

been having regular massage now (every 6 weeks) & it's not bothering me at all.

i spent a bit of time on very light weights & abandoning ANYTHING that even slightly aggravated it inside & outside the Gym.

still using the MSM & Glucosamine. definitely notice the differance since adding that even with other minor injuries. i've also added Fish Oil which i think is helping as well.

Jag

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Glad to hear you're doing well. Bump on the DB presses and also I read some article by a University that stated there's only a small benefot to bringing the arms back parallel to the ground. They suggested doing presses on the floor rather than a bench which I though was interesting. For those of us with chronic shoulder problems this may be an alternative and allow us to lift into old age.

Obviously for competitors they'll go for the extra stimulation and take the risk with a deep pressing movement.

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
I feel that a lot of guys do the bench wrong. They bring the bar to the collarbone or even to the neck. That will kill your joints, period. Bring the bar to the nipples instead. The biomechanics of it are all supporting this position.

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Yea... I screwed up my shoulders doing DB Bench Press... some tendon flipped while pressing (and it was a warp-up set :S) I figured it was my form and range of motion. So I use a barbell instead and make sure both my shoulder never move from the bench while pressing.