How do you do your barbell rows?

1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.83%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

How do you do your barbell rows?

I seem to get more out of parallel to the floor , than like a 70 degree angel, like Dorian Yates used to do them ...I feel it hits my lower lats better
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness

2. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.6%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    I seem to get more out of parallel to the floor , than like a 70 degree angel, like Dorian Yates used to do them ...I feel it hits my lower lats better
    Yup, and I find a more narrow grip hits the lats better. I like to alternate overhand grip, and underhand grip.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.89%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    Yup, and I find a more narrow grip hits the lats better. I like to alternate overhand grip, and underhand grip.
    Not that I have huge lats but that's what I do too.
    •   

4. On my grind
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.79%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I usualy use the "rowing" movement when i do my rows. All kidding aside i do the same as well. Keep my arms just wide enough and contract i also use the path that gives me the best range of motion and most contraction which is usualy parallel or so.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.2%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 3clipseGT View Post
    I usualy use the "rowing" movement when i do my rows. All kidding aside i do the same as well. Keep my arms just wide enough and contract i also use the path that gives me the best range of motion and most contraction which is usualy parallel or so.
    Just do pronated pullups. 3sets of 8.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  242 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.41%

I keep around a 45-50 degree angle and alternate grips week to week. I prefer to do them underhand because I seem to feel more "pull" from my lats, but recently I've been doing my last set or two with a thumbless overhand grip and seem to be feeling it quite a bit more the next day.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.53%

reverse relatively wide grip , back parallel to floor
  8. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.74%

Shoulder width, over-hand grip. Underhand seems to hit my bis too much.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.12%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by KingMeso View Post
    Shoulder width, over-hand grip. Underhand seems to hit my bis too much.
    Try lessening the weight. Usually when the biceps come into play, they are trying to help the back out because the back can't complete the lift by itself. This is assuming you have good form.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.24%

I guess I'm a Dorian Yates proponent. Almost parallel never did much for me. I like 65-75 degree from horizontal best. I also switch from underhand and overhand but underhand puts too much stress on my bi's so I usually go lighter and pump out a few extra reps. For overhands, I get a 28-30" grip and pull the bar straight into my belly button.

That's my idea of fun.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.24%

Quote Originally Posted by ShakesAllDay View Post
    Try lessening the weight. Usually when the biceps come into play, they are trying to help the back out because the back can't complete the lift by itself. This is assuming you have good form.

If their back is way stronger than their bi's though its the other way around. There's no way to take bi's totally out of the movement. I have the same problem. My back is insanely strong for my size. I BB row 10x315 (yes I am OCD w/form) but the auxiliary muscle (bi's) can only curl about 8x150. I know an underhand bb row and a bb curl are two separate exercises but they mimic each other to an extent with respect to biceps. The angle between your forearm and bicep narrows with the positive portion of both lifts.

I'm not disagreeing with you btw but adding an equally valid explanation stemming from personal experience.
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.83%

Dante Trudel talks about when you get extremely heavy with weight(he did rack deads with 700 something lbs he did under/over grip you can tear your biceps) I think the same is true with reverse barbell rows.

I used to do them reverse. I always do them Overhand now.

I feel parallel rows the full lats, more contraction(the squeeze, which stimulates more growth the more contraction) in my back than the 65-75 degree angel. Take a broomstick and try these for yourself right now and please post your thoughts

also I like closer grip as I feel it works the outer lats more

Wide grip stimulate inner back more Im guessing
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  13. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

If your gym has plates with handles,you can put a 45,then smaller plates,on a ez curl bar,and grab the handles.It hits the middle of your back well.I seen a pretty good personal trainer at my gym having a client do them.I told the trainer "I like that.It looks like it feels good."The trainer was like "it does man!It feels real good."Then I heard the trainer having to explain what we meant cause he was lost on how lifting could feel good.He's all"so you mean the pain?"It was funny sh!t!

Similar Forum Threads

1. BB Rows to chest
    By itzgambino in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 08:58 PM
  2. Benefit of inv rows to bent bb rows?
    By dave12 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-23-2009, 10:35 PM
  3. Dynamic rows
    By Fatal Wisdom in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0