How should I work legs without squats?

F

Fergs103

Awards
For awhile I think I'm going to have cut squats out my routine, at least till I can get into the doctor and see whats up with my knee, its gotten to the point where I can't even lock my leg without my knee killing me, let alone do squats. So I'm wondering if anyone has a leg routine they've used in the past while dealing with a knee injury or something along those lines, any help would be great, bulking my legs up is my main goal for the summer and I hate to have to side line it.

P

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
if you have pain in your knee do not workout your legs until you get it looked at. As far as when you get the go-ahead to train, I like lunges, extensions, step ups, leg presses, and hack squats

F

Fergs103

Awards
if you have pain in your knee do not workout your legs until you get it looked at. As far as when you get the go-ahead to train, I like lunges, extensions, step ups, leg presses, and hack squats
Will do, thanks, and even if I wanted to I don't think I could train legs right now, running and even diving off a block causes brief spurts of pain.

B

BifWebster

Awards
Well pretty much every leg exercise requires the knee to lock out and if thats where the pain is you might have to get it checked out and sideline it.

If the pain is only present with squats you should be fine doing other exercises. Legs respond great to high reps which would then be a lower weight which should aggrevate the problem less, your best bet would probably be high rep leg presses with no knee lockout, the burn will be pretty intense in a good way.

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
Having gone through multiple knee surgeries, I know what you are going through. I would have to side with pudzian here. However, if you have access to a pool, water exercises are great and I have used them in all of my PT and post op rehab. You can effectively work your muscles with minimal impact to your knee. Good luck.

P

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Having gone through multiple knee surgeries, I know what you are going through. I would have to side with pudzian here. However, if you have access to a pool, water exercises are great and I have used them in all of my PT and post op rehab. You can effectively work your muscles with minimal impact to your knee. Good luck.

swimming or under water-resistance is very good for rehabilitation. I have taken advantage of it myself in the past

B

bryan4592

Awards
Definately get it checked out first bro! If for some reason you decide to do anything, stay away from leg extensions! The amount of shear force created by this exercise it tremendous. Not good for an injured knee.