Different kind of training....

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
This training split is nothing like I have ever seen/utilized before.  I have no idea of what to call it.  But I must say when I first saw it on www.gotfina.com in the thread called something like "squats/deadlifts EOW okay?" (EOW is Every Other Workout)...I saw the split and over time (a couple of weeks) I realized that this was a similar split that I used over the summer (I was spending a lot of time with friends and at work so I was physiaclly tired from work and did not want to risk over-training/under-recouperation seeing as I was already on a reduced calorie diet) so I lifted every 3 days or so just to maintain strength.

Here's the split:

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt"> <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Everything was 1 set to fail.
1) fly super-set w/ incline db
flat db press
pullover super-set w/ underhand pull downs
wide cable rows
deads

3 days off

2) Leg-extentions super-set leg press
calf raises

3 days off

3) side lats
overhead db
rear delt fly
curls
push downs supers-set with dips

3 days off

4) squats
calf raises

3 days off

1)db press
incline
under pull down
row
shrugs</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt"><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

The squat and deadlift are (after a good warmup on a treadmill or bike) one set of 20 reps to failiure, meaning you are dead @ 20 reps, also alternate your leg exercises...squats one workout, deads (full range of motion, no half or partial movements there) the next. And on all exercises do one set to failiure, extremely heavy (6-8 reps, with the exception of squats and deadlifts do one set of 20 reps for those)

Notice how you work the legs every 8 days and arms, chest and back every 16 days??

This would be a hard split to start/continue due to most peoples phychological addiction to exercise...

but after careful thought, I found this split to be more convienient because less time was spent in the gym and I had more time to persue my other interests (i.e. lifeguarding, friends, etc etc)., Even on a reduced calorie diet (and a shitty diet at that) no supplements (no creatine, PH's, liver tabs) except for some weight gainer (used at half dose as a meal replacement 2-3x/week) and ECA 1-2x/day, I made strength gains on all exercises, especially back exercises since I was swimming so much.

I believe that with this split you are giving all muscle groups ample time to recover between sessions and weight/strength gains will be progressive and constant.

Feel free to add comments..

LG. :cool:

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Lets bump this up a little bit ;)

LG. :cool:

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Seems to be undertraining to me. Training arms every 16 days, dont expect to grow very much. This is probably the weekend warriors workout routine "I lift when I get a chance, not very often though"

20 reps of deads and squats are a bit much for me also, but to each his own.

Bone

Awards
I agree with YJ, definate undertraining. LG you're a ecto like me.................dont go near this type of training.

Peace

Bone

Blindfaith

Awards
dude seriously try out the max-ot training program that i posted....youll definitly love the ****! At least i do!

SteveDFW

Awards
Have any of you ever heard about "DC (doggrapp) Training"? It is talked about on Animal's Board but I have been unable to find it in full any where.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
ok thats mentzers heavy duty approach u just list with the exception of it being 4 days off and no bs dbells inclines its straight up incline benches..someone ripped the man off hardcore..u want my opinion of mentzer read my quote and if u disagree kool good luck to u

MySoulFindsRest

Awards
There is merit to Mike Mentzer's training. Every 16 days is a little too long. I used to train each bodypart once every 8 days, 1 set to failure. Whole body in two sessions. This was while I worked in a physical labor job, so I couldn't do the volume I could now(plus I wasn't using androgens.)

jedimaster

Awards
I don't agree with you on the Mentzer routine not being effective. It always has been for me- I've used it for years and it's the only one that is logical- whenever I stopped making progress, I'd go back to the principles of HIT and begin gaining again. Lately I feel I've hit a plateau and can't seem to make myself grow. Maybe I've reached "the upper limits of my physical potential", but I hope not as my arms are only 18 inches pumped.

I do, however, like your username- nice to see Christians on the board.