How do you work around forearm tendonitis?

glipp

glipp

Awards
I have had forearm tendonitis that I have battled for the past 8 months. It went away through a combo of ART Therapy, Stretching, Cissus, Celadrin, forearm strengthening and some form adjustments. Back in the gym now for the last couple months and it seems to be returning. I am wondering for people who have experineced this issue. How have people found ways to work around this issue. Specifically what routines have worked for you ie: adjustments or full routines. I am considering HST due to the lighter workload. My adjustments: I have been doing db bench w/ neutral grip as this is easier on the forearms, I have been doing rows w/ underhand (palms away) rather than overhand grip as this is less stressful for me on the forearms. Pullups are out of the question, I think chinups (palms facing me) is easier but probably should avoid these. How have people still managed to get their arm/shoulder work in w/ this ailment. I was out 6 mnths and I am not doing this again. Sorry to ramble. Thanks for any help.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well cissus and B6 can help. And I would use those wrist straps that you wrap around the bar. It allows you to lift heavier and takes the strain off.

glipp

glipp

Awards
Well cissus and B6 can help. And I would use those wrist straps that you wrap around the bar. It allows you to lift heavier and takes the strain off.
B6 that is interesting I hadn't heard that before. I will have to check that out. Thanks. As far as wrist straps, I am not sure if that is the way to go for me. I have heard those can actually weaken your forearms as you begin to rely on them worsening the problem. Not a bad suggestion probably for some but probably not the best for me.

glipp

glipp

Awards
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez
I went to pubmed and searched for B6 and carpal tunnel.

The problem with B6 is that is is also used as a diuretic. So water intake has to be high.
Thanks I appreciate it. I should probably be drinking alot of water anyway with my injury, actually I always try to drink alot of water (sometimes the energy drinks get in the way) :D. I will check out the B-6 though.

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
Dexamethasone
Stanozolol :D:p

Ok maybe not the last one, but i'm currently getting a dexamethasone treatment.

glipp

glipp

Awards
Dexamethasone
Stanozolol :D:p

Ok maybe not the last one, but i'm currently getting a dexamethasone treatment.
Is this the same as a cortisone shot? I hope not as from what I have learned this is not the route to go. May relieve the pain temporarily, and allow you to further damage the tendons, thinking you are healed. Believe cortisone shots also weaken connective tissue as well. Not helpful

skull

skull

Awards
  • Established
Theres an electric stim meter you can buy from CVS---its just like the ones they use at rehab .I healed a pretty bad shoulder injury with it

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
Is this the same as a cortisone shot? I hope not as from what I have learned this is not the route to go. May relieve the pain temporarily, and allow you to further damage the tendons, thinking you are healed. Believe cortisone shots also weaken connective tissue as well. Not helpful
That's why it is also recommended to rest for a couple weeks and then slowly work up to where you were at in weights

glipp

glipp

Awards
That's why it is also recommended to rest for a couple weeks and then slowly work up to where you were at in weights
Good, luck. I personally wouldn't risk it. I have read more than one place this is not the route to go for the reasons I mentioned before. I have had a cortisone shot and am no better for it. Rested far more than a couple weeks, had standard p/t, etc. I have tried ART Active Release Therapy which I would recommend and is very helpful. If interested check out this link http://www.activerelease.com/ where you can read more and also click on the find a provider link to, well you can guess :D Good luck again man.

glipp

glipp

Awards
Theres an electric stim meter you can buy from CVS---its just like the ones they use at rehab .I healed a pretty bad shoulder injury with it
Sounds interesting maybe I will check this out

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
Good, luck. I personally wouldn't risk it. I have read more than one place this is not the route to go for the reasons I mentioned before. I have had a cortisone shot and am no better for it. Rested far more than a couple weeks, had standard p/t, etc. I have tried ART Active Release Therapy which I would recommend and is very helpful. If interested check out this link http://www.activerelease.com/ where you can read more and also click on the find a provider link to, well you can guess :D Good luck again man.
I just went in for my 3rd treatment in a little over a week (iontophoresis + dexamethasone 4mg/ml vial) and the pain and inflammation has been going down since the 2nd treatment, so thanks for the good luck :cheers:

P

ptrkntc

Awards
I experienced a similar injury and was out about a year. I felt discomfort when doing arm curls of any sort, so I started doing kettlebell swings. The longitudinal forces seemed to stimulate recovery without aggravating the old injury. After a while I was able to resume regular training without pain.

I have had forearm tendonitis that I have battled for the past 8 months. It went away through a combo of ART Therapy, Stretching, Cissus, Celadrin, forearm strengthening and some form adjustments. Back in the gym now for the last couple months and it seems to be returning. I am wondering for people who have experineced this issue. How have people found ways to work around this issue. Specifically what routines have worked for you ie: adjustments or full routines. I am considering HST due to the lighter workload. My adjustments: I have been doing db bench w/ neutral grip as this is easier on the forearms, I have been doing rows w/ underhand (palms away) rather than overhand grip as this is less stressful for me on the forearms. Pullups are out of the question, I think chinups (palms facing me) is easier but probably should avoid these. How have people still managed to get their arm/shoulder work in w/ this ailment. I was out 6 mnths and I am not doing this again. Sorry to ramble. Thanks for any help.