A question about training to failure...

Gaf Knee

Awards
Okay I adopted some forearm routine that includes the foward and reverse wrist-roll (You know that dowell that's connected to a plate or two via a cable/rope.), the only thing I'm curious about is that is simply says 2 sets to failure. Well how do you gauge how much weight to use? Obviously failure would depend on what percent of your 1RM you're using.

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Interesting question. Personnally, I think I would never be able to train my forearms in this manner to failure.

By "sets" they mean rolling up the rope completely is one set, I'm pretty sure.

But for me the pain would be simply too much... I don't think I can ever get to failure with high reps on the forearms for that very reason... Can anyone? They'd have to be very deep into masochistic behaviour if you ask me ;)

Anyways, you can train forearms to failure with wrist curls/reverse curls, if you don't rep tooooo high, as in 8-12 is doable. Try failure at 25 reps and you will notice that it is the PAIN that makes you stop, not anything else. ;)

Train them, train them hard, and they will grow. Forearms are so difficult to overtrain that for all practical purposes you can treat them like they will never be. Forearm size is more often than not an indicator of how LONG a bodybuilder has been training, for that reason.

destro19

destro19

Awards
Okay I adopted some forearm routine that includes the foward and reverse wrist-roll (You know that dowell that's connected to a plate or two via a cable/rope.), the only thing I'm curious about is that is simply says 2 sets to failure. Well how do you gauge how much weight to use? Obviously failure would depend on what percent of your 1RM you're using.
In my new routine I train 3-4 sets, till failure. I pick a weight where I reach failure between 15-20 reps. Like on bench press, I'll do (1) set 315 for 18-20, (2) set at 325 till 17 and (3) set 335 as close to 15 as I can get, (4) 225 for about 20.
So basically it depends on where you reach failure. If you do 20lbs for 40 reps, you could possibly do 40lbs for 20 reps.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, failure has nothing to do w/ the amount of reps. It's just that--till failure; it doesn't matter on what exact rep it falls on. Some bodyparts react differently to more or fewer reps.

For forearms, I like to do behind the back's. I do 3 sets of 25-50. It seems as though they work so good, I have to quit on them for awhile as they just get out-of-proportion to my biceps. So, every once in a while, I'll do them once/week for 3 or 4 weeks, and then lay off for awhile. Works pretty good. If only I could have a handle on the rest of my body....