Is the "pump" the enemy of growth?

rjones

Awards
After reading IA and DC's stuff, I have lessened my volume and increased my gains. They are right on track for the genetic average. However, when I try to convince my friends at the gym they are overtraining, they laugh. It doesn't occur to them they are no bigger in the past 2 years of training. If you can convince them to lower their volume, they don't think it is working, and they go back to their super high volume ways. Why? they don't "feel" it, i.e, no pump. You don't grow from a pump do you, you grow from stressing the muscle more than the prior workout, with more weight or more reps. Sure, it feels good to pump your bi's with blood by doing 20 reps with 20 lb dumbells, but I seriously doubt that's causing more growth than 10 good reps with 40 lb's, etc. Even though Arnold said in Pumping Iron "that a good pump is better than sex," I don't think it is helping anyone make gains. Just look at all the skinny guys in the gym for 1.5 to 2 hours chasing a great pump. Just felt like venting a little, any opinions?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you there. A pump is nothing more then blood rushing to the muscle. But hey I don't even bother trying to help anyone unless they truly seem interested and I feel they will take what I say and apply it. So don't even bother with your friends bro, no sense wasting your time you know. Later J

rjones

Awards
You're right, it they don't want to learn it's their problem, it just seems stupid that they could be gaining so much more. If they're good friends, not just "gym buddies", I want to help them out. As a side note, I have convinced my workout partner to change, even if he is the only one.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I hear ya. Same thing w/ soreness.

I have the same problem w/ my bros. They have a lot better genetics than me, and can gain muscle a hell of a lot easier, but they have been struggling lately and when I tell them to put more work into their diet, they just roll their eyes. Ahh, you can't convince them all.........

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ya--I actually have taken a friend of mine with no lifting experience under my wing. I've been trying to teach him and show him, but man sometimes he doesn't wanna listen. Just like you said Jergo, he complains because his biceps never get sore. I try to explain to him that just because he isn't getting sore doesn't mean he is't growing and the muscle isn't being worked. Well today he told me that last week he bought some weights for his house and as been doing curls 5 days a week after our workouts at the gym. I just shook my head. How does the saying go??? You can take the horse to the water, but you can't make him drink.

rjones

Awards
Those guys with the great genetics and no clue are the worst. They make some gains doing everything wrong and eating once a day and drinking 5 days a week. Imagine if they knew what they were doing the gains they could make. But since they are making some progress due to genetics they won't listen to you about the right way to make big gains. I am jealous of them though.

Atavis

Awards
TEACH THEM BY EXAMPLE.

If you grow enough, they will eventually see the light.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Those guys with the great genetics and no clue are the worst. They make some gains doing everything wrong and eating once a day and drinking 5 days a week. Imagine if they knew what they were doing the gains they could make. But since they are making some progress due to genetics they won't listen to you about the right way to make big gains. I am jealous of them though.
I hear you rjones. Those guys make me sick. :D Seriously though, its so true, what about those guys that work construction for unions, etc. My two close friends are like that. They're brothers and they friggin drink every weekend, occasionally pot, and eat the basic 3 good meals/day, and not only are they huge, but they are ripped.

My dad is the same way. He used to be skinny like me before I started lifting, and now he's 50 yrs. old, uses these 2-20lb. dumbells and worksout 4 times a week--doing the same endurance type lifts every day. He's 230 lbs. 6'1" and makes me feel like $hit cuz he's more ripped than I am. Hopefully his genetics will pass on to me. :)

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
Not to mention, newbies will look at them and think "oh, it worked for them, if I work that hard/much, I'll be huge too."

I don't think anybody should be allowed to watch Ronnie Coleman's video (or any pro for that matter) until they get a little experience and know better. :D

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You hit on two of the biggest reasons people fail to make progress. The first and probably biggest offender is the TOTAL genetic freaks (said in the kindest sense) that are made as role models. The average guy has nothing in common with these guys as far a recovery ability goes and they make people beleive that if it works for them it will work for me.......they are soooooo very wrong. And while getting a good pump is cool and all its gotta make ya wonder who Arnie had sex with. A pump means NOTHING relative to growth stimulation.

Iron Addict

BrKonman

Awards
Originally posted by iron addict
... And while getting a good pump is cool and all its gotta make ya wonder who Arnie had sex with.
Iron Addict

Heheheh. Sorry, had to bump this back up, not only for the great content, but for that line. So true, so true.

Oh, and just a comment on the "teach them by example" note, that is absolutely the best (and sometimes only) way to get through to *those* people. Plenty of guys I know refused to listen to a word I said until I started growing like a weed ;)

rjones

Awards
The first and probably biggest offender is the TOTAL genetic freaks (said in the kindest sense) that are made as role models. .

Iron Addict
If anyone is offended by being called a genetic freak, I'd like to slap them. Of course, due to their freakiness they'd then kick my ass. Also, I'd hope Arnold was nailing some hot chicks at the time.

d piece

Awards
Where can I find an IA or DC routine? I want to try this out.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Bro IA does personal training. If you would like you can email him and use his services. If not go to the training section in this forum and read all of his articles. These provide a lot of insight into his methods and styles. And bro from personal experience, they're great. Read, Read, Read and you too shall be saved :D later J

BMZ

Awards
TEACH THEM BY EXAMPLE.

If you grow enough, they will eventually see the light.

I heard that ****.....that's the best way...
everybody is an expert but everybody trains like ****.