Cardio Discussion

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Amazing how everyone thought how HIIT cardio caused so much muscle loss a few months back but the new trend is now HIIT cardio. And I notice I have been losing a lot more fat while doing it as compated to moderate intensity for 30 mins.

Every week new veins pop out, also high reps and HIIT cardio can also make veins larger and more efficent.

2. 3-4 sessions a week 20-40 mins per session any more than that and your body starts to drop hard earned muscle. HIT an Max-OT aren't really cardio they are anaerobic training like sprinting which give all the positive benefits as Dyno stated. I like YJ's approach to cycle each style week to week and keep the body guessing.
    •   

3. Over the past summer I was doing a daily combination of HIIT and Long-duration cardio:

I utilized my workplace for my cardio

Through a normal day I would do, in the morning, 25-30 minutes of lower-intensity cardio which included walking and/or jogging around my waterpark unstacking beach chairs (each weighing about 8-10 pounds or so). Then through the bulk of my day (10:00am to 8 or 9:00 pm) we (the LG's at the wave pool) would close the pool every other hour for 15 minutes, and thats when I would do some good HIIT in the pool once or twice a day.  Then at the end of the day (9:00pm-10:00pm) I would be doing mad dashes around the park cleaning up trash, throwing beach chairs around, putting rental tubes away and other stuff.

The reason my I like HIIT is this:

for a quick reference see Muscle Fiber Types:

http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/s...le+fiber+types

I came to this conclusion (see below) after pondering why the lactic acid burn stays in the muscle for a while and then goes away during long distance events (i.e. my 1000 meter swim today).

I just thought that in exercise the body has a priority or an order, if you will, of which muscle fibers it recruits during the different lengths of exercise.  During my swim, in the first 100-250 meters or so, the "burning" was quite intense but I could not stop swimming because I was being timed. At around 300-500 meters the burning was less noticable, but it was still there. Then after 600-700 meters the burning was damn near completely gone: I was unable to feel any lactic acid inside my lats, delts, or even legs.  So here's what I thought: the primary fibers being recruited are either the Type 2A or 2B (or both), hence the increased lactic acid burn. and feeling tired so soon.  Then once the body realizes it has to go for a longer period of time it begins to recruit the Type 1 (endurance) fibers.  I gather that this "switch" from the fast twitch (2A, 2B) to the slow twitch (Type 1) happens during the first 200-300 meters or so.  Once the Type 1 fibers start being recruited, the lactic acid begins to be shuttled away from the muscles (hence the reduced burn after the 300 meter mark) and back to the place where all waste products get dealt with: the liver (i think).  So the decreased burn begins to take place when the Type 1 fibers begin to contract.

SO... During HIIT you are forcing your body to recruit almost every kind of muscle fiber it has (due to the order of things) and during the rest periods it gives the fast twitch fibers time to rest, and then they (the fast twitch fibers) get worked again during the next part of "high intensity".  I personally think that HIIT is not only great for fat loss, but may also be beneficial for increased muscular growth.

Yes, I came up with all of the above on my own (except for the muscle fiber types, YJ can take credit for that).

LG.
    Read This Book!!: Anabolic Steroids and the Athlete by William N. Taylor M.D.

4. Originally posted by Lifeguard
    ...I came to this conclusion (see below) after pondering why the lactic acid burn stays in the muscle for a while and then goes away during long distance events (i.e. my 1000 meter swim today). ... 
    Glad to see atleast someone else makes use of the water for cardio.  Swimming is decent as hell for HIT cardio and with the right intensity aids it'll leave anyone in pain.

I agree with you about the distance and lactic acid.  The inital muscle requriment will be a higher percent II and the major source of energy will be supplied through glycolosis flooding the blood with lactic acid.  Untill the krebs cycle can get under way and start flushing out the lactic acid and providing a alternate source of energy lactic acid levels will do its evil.

By the way, how was your time for your 1000?  I know my distance times arn't much and yet another reason I am proHIT cardio 

5. Originally posted by weissmuller

By the way, how was your time for your 1000?  I know my distance times arn't much and yet another reason I am proHIT cardio 
    My time was kinda ****ty: 23:30-24:00.... there abouts....

BUT... I am proud of myself since I have never had to swim over 500 meters in my life, so swimming 1000 meters is a great accomplishment for me.

LG.
    Read This Book!!: Anabolic Steroids and the Athlete by William N. Taylor M.D.
    •   

6. While I really only do one 24 min cardio session, I do a lot of GPP work: such as sled drags, high rep arm snatches, etc. It really helps keep me from adding too much bodyfat, but as a powerlifter/strongman-wannabe I don't have to worry about my bf% excessively.

7. I like the effects on insulin sensitivity that HIC has. According to Eric's article it also "cleanses" insulin receptors in muscle. This will allow more glycogen to be sent to muscles when eating the same amount of food. Calories do not = muscle growth. Muscle glycogen and amino levels = muscle growth. More glycogen in the muscle will only do good for anabolic activity. IMHO.

8. Originally posted by YellowJacket
    Theres studies showing to do ligth intensity cardio because if your cardio is high intense you will be using anaerobic movements that do not require oxygen, rather the using up your glycogen stores for energy. Then on the other than you have people who say "high intense cardio not only burns fat but will speed up your metabolism throughout the remainder of the day". Both of these statements are true.....so the only advice I can offer is: Switch it up. One week to high intense cardio the next moderate, and so on, until you decide what works for you.
    I never actually read this thread, just posted what I do. Revisiting it now I just want to make a few comments.

Since I finished by bulking cycle last week, and am now cutting, I have switched to cardio 6 days a week, alternating between HIT via sprints and slow-go via walking on an incline. The results thus far have been encouraging, and my cutting cycle is off to an excellent start.

As for what YJ said above, I totally agree with him regarding both of the statements being true. The combination is what really does the trick.

Adding to what he said of aerobic/anaerobic work, here's where the HIT cardio wins. (this is all from memory, so if any of the numbers are wrong, please correct me).

The body is much more efficient at obtaining energy through glucose via glycolysis, pyruvic acid oxidation,the Kreb's Cycle/Citric Acid Cycle, and the electron transport chain. Using these four processes (that make up the process of aerobic respiration) the body is able to make up to 36 molecules of ATP from 1 molecule of glucose.

When you're doing HIT cardio, you're training is anaerobic, and the body's primary way of obtaining ATP to fuel the workout is via lactic acid fermentation. Through lactic acid fermentation, the body is only able to make 4 ATP molecules per molecule of glucose. This inefficiency is actually a GOOD thing when it comes to losing weight. Because the body can only make 4 molecules of ATP per molecule of glucose, more glucose will be utilized to fuel the exercise. Thus, your liver and muscle glycogen stores will depleted rather quickly, and you'll start tapping into body-fat. And once you're tapped into body-fat, you'll be burning that at a faster rate as well.

Not only this, but at a high intensity, even if it were aerobic, you'd still need more ATP to fuel your workout than at the low intensity. So you end up burning even more fuel than before. Thus High Intensity wins here. This is also where people say the HIT gets it nutrient repartioning effect. Some of the food you eat afterwards will be directed to repleneshing liver and muscle glycogen, as well as being used in other cell processes to help rebuild any muscle tissue damaged during the work-out.

That's my arguement for why HIT is better, but I gotta go do some other **** now, maybe tomorrow I'll post my reasoning behind why it's good to add low-intensity as well.

9. muh huh huh ha
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Discussion: cardio needed for fat loss?
    By shakenblake in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-04-2015, 07:06 PM
  2. Cardio Routine That Worked for YOU
    By YellowJacket in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 12:57 PM
  3. timing of cardio
    By sage in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-25-2002, 02:46 PM
  4. Post Cardio Nutrition ?