Cardio Discussion

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User

While I really only do one 24 min cardio session, I do a lot of GPP work: such as sled drags, high rep arm snatches, etc. It really helps keep me from adding too much bodyfat, but as a powerlifter/strongman-wannabe I don't have to worry about my bf% excessively.

2. Registered User

I like the effects on insulin sensitivity that HIC has. According to Eric's article it also "cleanses" insulin receptors in muscle. This will allow more glycogen to be sent to muscles when eating the same amount of food. Calories do not = muscle growth. Muscle glycogen and amino levels = muscle growth. More glycogen in the muscle will only do good for anabolic activity. IMHO.
  3. Registered User

Originally posted by YellowJacket
    Theres studies showing to do ligth intensity cardio because if your cardio is high intense you will be using anaerobic movements that do not require oxygen, rather the using up your glycogen stores for energy. Then on the other than you have people who say "high intense cardio not only burns fat but will speed up your metabolism throughout the remainder of the day". Both of these statements are true.....so the only advice I can offer is: Switch it up. One week to high intense cardio the next moderate, and so on, until you decide what works for you.
    I never actually read this thread, just posted what I do. Revisiting it now I just want to make a few comments.

Since I finished by bulking cycle last week, and am now cutting, I have switched to cardio 6 days a week, alternating between HIT via sprints and slow-go via walking on an incline. The results thus far have been encouraging, and my cutting cycle is off to an excellent start.

As for what YJ said above, I totally agree with him regarding both of the statements being true. The combination is what really does the trick.

Adding to what he said of aerobic/anaerobic work, here's where the HIT cardio wins. (this is all from memory, so if any of the numbers are wrong, please correct me).

The body is much more efficient at obtaining energy through glucose via glycolysis, pyruvic acid oxidation,the Kreb's Cycle/Citric Acid Cycle, and the electron transport chain. Using these four processes (that make up the process of aerobic respiration) the body is able to make up to 36 molecules of ATP from 1 molecule of glucose.

When you're doing HIT cardio, you're training is anaerobic, and the body's primary way of obtaining ATP to fuel the workout is via lactic acid fermentation. Through lactic acid fermentation, the body is only able to make 4 ATP molecules per molecule of glucose. This inefficiency is actually a GOOD thing when it comes to losing weight. Because the body can only make 4 molecules of ATP per molecule of glucose, more glucose will be utilized to fuel the exercise. Thus, your liver and muscle glycogen stores will depleted rather quickly, and you'll start tapping into body-fat. And once you're tapped into body-fat, you'll be burning that at a faster rate as well.

Not only this, but at a high intensity, even if it were aerobic, you'd still need more ATP to fuel your workout than at the low intensity. So you end up burning even more fuel than before. Thus High Intensity wins here. This is also where people say the HIT gets it nutrient repartioning effect. Some of the food you eat afterwards will be directed to repleneshing liver and muscle glycogen, as well as being used in other cell processes to help rebuild any muscle tissue damaged during the work-out.

That's my arguement for why HIT is better, but I gotta go do some other **** now, maybe tomorrow I'll post my reasoning behind why it's good to add low-intensity as well.
    •   

4. Registered User

muh huh huh ha
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Cardio Routine That Worked for YOU
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 10:57 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 05:59 PM