Cardio during weight training?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.05%

Cardio during weight training?

I hate cardio, so I've been sprinting all out for one minute between sets of weights, anyone else do this? Possibly beneficial?

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.54%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

15 minutes high intensity after weights works well for me. Not between sets though, would be too tired to lift.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.05%

I don't seem to have energy problems yet, though it is mentally tough to push through it.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.54%

Quote Originally Posted by amicold View Post
    I don't seem to have energy problems yet, though it is mentally tough to push through it.
    Then you're not lifting heavy enough
    but that's just me talking, hopfully some other opinions will float in here.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.05%

Haha, I must not be manly enough. I don't know, I might just be a genetic freak, mentally lazy, physically tough.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.54%

fair enough.
    WHITE WHALE!
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.21%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

If you can do an "all out sprint" for an entire minute, like 50 yard dash intensity, but for 15-20 times the duration of a 50 yard sprint ANNNND get into some lifting, either you're T3 come back to save Sarah Conner and John Smith from world annihilation, or you're not lifting enough.
    NSCA - CSCS
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.05%

Not 50 yard dash speed, but it's challenging as all hell for me. I guess you're all right, I'm a *****.
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.21%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I'm not calling you a *****, I'm just saying if you can sprint between sets then you can't be lifting that much weight. However, if weight loss is your primary concern, then I think what you're doing is fine in theory, but if musculature and size is your primary concern, then the in between set sprints are sabotaging your efforts. If you want size and strength, do your lifts first and whatever energy you have left, do your sprints. But if you're trying to lean down, then heavier weights aren't so high on the priority list and I suppose if you're able to sprint between sets, then keep it up.
    NSCA - CSCS
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.07%
    Achievements Posting Pro

It's okay if it is beneficial to your goals, which you never stated.

IMO...

If shooting for strength, this is a def. no-no. If going for size, depleting muscle glycogen may not be a bad thing. If wanting to lose fat, I think this is a good way to get in some extra calorie burning... I used to do something similar, but not sprints... I used to get on the elliptical for 100 cal. at a moderate speed between exercises. It's easy to burn an extra 600-700 calories this way.
  11. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I'd say keep them separate. You won't be recovering enough in between sets with the sprinting, and as a result you won't be able to push yourself as hard for the reps. In the end you will get in fewer/weaker reps which will cause less hypertrophy.

If your goal is muscle gain drop the sprints and go full-out on the weights. If you're goal is fat loss, still go all out on the weights but throw in cardio right after your workout.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.07%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    In the end you will get in fewer/weaker reps which will cause less hypertrophy.
    Please elaborate.

Pre-exhaustion and drop-sets all move towards fewer/weaker reps... yet bodybuilders use these techniques all the time.
  13. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ShakesAllDay View Post
    Please elaborate.

Pre-exhaustion and drop-sets all move towards fewer/weaker reps... yet bodybuilders use these techniques all the time.
    Drop-sets and pre-exhaustion caused by exercises targetting the same muscle (i.e. bench press then flyes) I don't mind because you're really focusing on the chest. But if you do bench and then tire your body out on sprints and then try and do bench again, personally I've found that I can't get in a decent 2nd/3rd set.

Again this is just personal experience and I only tried it twice, and both times I was extremely unhappy with doing sprints in between working sets. Supersetting/drop sets on the other hands I'm all for, and see their function.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Cardio and Weight Training Questions
    By orangerain in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-23-2009, 08:41 AM
  2. cardio after weight training?
    By jb562 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 06:21 PM
  3. Cardio after weight training / Lean Bulk
    By redvision in forum Bulking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 06:15 PM
  4. Is separrating cardio from weight training beneficial ?
    By Iron Warrior in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 02:01 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 02:46 PM