max bench?

beaverboy

beaverboy

Awards
MOD EDIT: Post it in the right section.

im 18, and a senior in h.s and me and my buddie entered a local comptition for bench press, its in about 2 months
.. and iv trained hard but cant seem to get my bench up this morning at the gym i did a max rep test and put up 225 13 times, and i'v tried alot of tecniques but cant seem to get it up any more than this..mabe one of you guys can possibly give me some pointers??

i weigh 203
supps,
optimum nutrition whey
gaspari,size on
gaspari, plasma jet
beta-alanine tablets
amino acid tablets

MattMiller

Awards
what does your chest shoulder and tri routine look like?
maybe try switching it up, shock your muscles, keep them guessing to promote new growth

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
just be happy you are younger, smaller..............and stronger then i am :(

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
Spinach it does wonders for Popeye.

Actually you may be in a plateau right now. Try some different chest movements for your workout and you may see some rise in amount.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ditto with bama...

My methods for increasing bench - and lord knows I've been tryin'...

-Switch to DBs for a while
-Increase reps, decrease weight and focus on form
-Explosive reps and negatives - helps with control/confidence
-Partials - work on your weak spots
-Work supporting muscles to increase stability
-Analyze and perfect your form!!!

Lastly, the "Mind-Muscle" factor is the biggest, IMO. If your head's not in the game, then you might as well pack it up and go home. Bring the intensity beyond intense. I've reached a point where I can almost control adrenoline - focus rage into each max attempt. Whether it's music or bad memories, use whatever you can to get you geared up for the lift. And NEVER FEAR FAILURE!!! Sometimes it is that fear of dropping the bar on yourself that makes us drop the bar on ourselves.

Good luck, buddy! :D

beaverboy

beaverboy

Awards
thx guys.. ill ty switching it up. and that plasma jet works wonders for me :) it helps me get pumped and imo also helps me focus. like you said if your minds not in it then pack it up..

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
MOD EDIT: Post it in the right section.

im 18, and a senior in h.s and me and my buddie entered a local comptition for bench press, its in about 2 months
.. and iv trained hard but cant seem to get my bench up this morning at the gym i did a max rep test and put up 225 13 times, and i'v tried alot of tecniques but cant seem to get it up any more than this..mabe one of you guys can possibly give me some pointers??

i weigh 203
supps,
optimum nutrition whey
gaspari,size on
gaspari, plasma jet
beta-alanine tablets
amino acid tablets
Does your local bench press contest consist of "how many times you can put up 225" or your 1 rep max. Because strength training has different protocols of sets & reps then bodybuilding. Is your contest volume based or intensity based?

Jon629

Jon629

Awards
Ditto with bama...

Lastly, the "Mind-Muscle" factor is the biggest, IMO. If your head's not in the game, then you might as well pack it up and go home. Bring the intensity beyond intense. I've reached a point where I can almost control adrenoline - focus rage into each max attempt. Whether it's music or bad memories, use whatever you can to get you geared up for the lift. And NEVER FEAR FAILURE!!! Sometimes it is that fear of dropping the bar on yourself that makes us drop the bar on ourselves.

Good luck, buddy! :D
Very well said!

beaverboy

beaverboy

Awards
its how many times you can do 225, there is just different weight classes
like 150lbs-200lbs/ 185 as many times as possible
200lbs-250lbs/ 225 as many times as possible
250lbs-300lbs/ 245 as many times as possible

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
its how many times you can do 225, there is just different weight classes
like 150lbs-200lbs/ 185 as many times as possible
200lbs-250lbs/ 225 as many times as possible
250lbs-300lbs/ 245 as many times as possible
If it's about volume then the bodybuilding style of training is the way to go. Try Beta-Alanine, Beta-Alanine buffers hydrogen ions and raises carnosine, what that translates to in laymen's terms... if you feel like the first 10 reps are fairly easy, then all of a sudden you hit a wall at rep 11 or 12 and you know it's not due to lack of strength, you just can't push anymore, this phenomenon occurs because of the H+ (hydrogen ion) build up in the muscle as, a byproduct of ATP. Beta-Alanine is suppose to help with that, so you fail when your muscle fails, not due to biocheimcals in your muscle, such as the build up of H+. Beta-Alanine also raises lactate threshold which in short, has a similar effect to what I just said.

By the way, I'm all about the whole mental part of the game. I think the mental game is just as important as the physical ability. but yes there are physical limits you can't just will your way through.... such as hydrogen ion build up. Some reactions create physical incapabilities, not mental barriers.