Rep ranges for different muscle groups

John64

Awards
Okay so I've been out of the gym for something like six months. Before I stopped I was always staying in the 4-6 rep range. Now though I've been going higher and usually stay in the 10-12 range. The problem is, my chest has absolutely no endurance. The rest of my body can handle the higher reps fine, but after just a couple of sets of 10-12 reps on chest, I have to drop the weight ridiculously low in order to finish all my sets.

So I'm wondering if anyone else experiences anything like this. Are some body parts for some people just better suited for lower reps? Or should I just keep on doing what I'm doing and hope that my chest will eventually become more accustomed to higher reps?

Thanks.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your chest muscles are burning out early because they're no longer conditioned for that rep range. Keep it up and your body will adapt.

One way to solve your problem might be to have longer rest periods between your sets.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
It could be a de-training effect, you could be more fast twitch in the benching muscles, your diet may not be right, you could have high heavy metals like mercury and lead, or any combo of any of these.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I usually do four sets per exercise, with different rep ranges for each set.

1st set = 12-15 reps (usually shoot for 12)
2nd set = 10-12 reps
3rd set = 8-10 reps
4th set = 6 reps

This way you're conditiioning your muscles for muscular endurance (the higher rep ranges) and for power (the fourth set).

Sometimes, depending on how I feel, I'll do two power sets for the last two sets, rather than just one power set. And sometimes, I'll do all power sets. Just gotta go with how you feel and what works.

Also, try flexing and stretching between sets! Keeps the pump going for maximum intensity on the next set, and helps improve flexability and peak muscle contraction over time.