How often do you Max out?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^^

how often do you max out and on what lifts? do you believe it is beneficial to building muscle?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's beneficial for sports performance. Training protocols for athletes are determined by their particular 1RM.

I think it's also beneficial for strength athletes, since strength is their objective then a 1RM is a good measure of progress.

As far as bodybuilders. Not really. Ego benefits I suppose, but as far as making you a better bodybuilder, I don't think maxing out serves a purpose.

With that said, I've maxed out on the deadlift a couple times, pulling 495lbs when I was 197lbs.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I pretty much never max out. I don't see a benefit to it.

I'm a bodybuilder, not a powerlifter.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm with Ryan.

I used to once in a while when I first began to get strong but I know I am not anymore and...I could hurt myself :(

tunnelrat

tunnelrat

Awards
  • Established
once a microcycle (7-8 weeks or so).

i lift for strength and functionality; so yeah, it's important to me :dl: .

beneficial to building muscle: see above. however, if my absolute strength is increasing, so are the #s in my assistance work, which equals bigger me.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I do westside style so once every week.

ClintCanada

It's beneficial for sports performance. Training protocols for athletes are determined by their particular 1RM.

I think it's also beneficial for strength athletes, since strength is their objective then a 1RM is a good measure of progress.

As far as bodybuilders. Not really. Ego benefits I suppose, but as far as making you a better bodybuilder, I don't think maxing out serves a purpose.

With that said, I've maxed out on the deadlift a couple times, pulling 495lbs when I was 197lbs.
Totally correct . . .
I've started to do 2 weeks with moderate reps for hypertrophy say 7-10 rep range and to satisfy ego every 3rd week for strength 1-3 rep range . . . and I do an extra set or two on strength days -- low reps are good for sports and to shock the system -- teaches your motor units to all fire at once

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
low reps are good for sports and to shock the system -- teaches your motor units to all fire at once
BINGO....... I feel that maxing out too frequently can actually be counter-productive and promote overtraining...

I am a football player and definitely benefit from maximum exertion lifts... I only max out on my Olympic Lifts, and only preform a 2RM rather than a true 1RM. I will only test my 2RM about every other week, in only one exercise, alternating which lifts/muscle group get tested each week.

My training goes through phases of change in volume vs weight. At a later stage in my training, when the reps are relatively low, i will go for my 2RM once per week, in the same fashion as described above.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
pp u homo. i am about to run this stinkin sus500 and you haven't even looked at my thread.
yeah, this coming from a guy that says "just Jam it".... fag.

Anyway ive been tempted to hit the sus500 too but i think ill start it at the end of this month.

ill check out your thread

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Never.

When I'm finally given the instance where maxing out is going do something to benefit my fitness goals, I'll gladly do it. Currently, I feel it is too taxing on the CNS and offer too much risk of injury for the ends to justify the means for me. Only application I've ever found was so I could bat out a number when someone asks how much my max is.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
I think the last time I tried to max out was when I was 19? From what I remember. so 4 years ago. I just lift

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Maybe 4 times a year, unless Im on a strength training program that requires it more often.

packers1200

packers1200

Awards
if it is a rep max then it is fine to do it more often. 1 rep max is pointless to me. I was in a sports training program for football and we did the 225 rep max once per week after our friday workouts and it was nice to see the improvements and helped my strength.

rcaz01

Awards
I do westside style so once every week.

I just started this as well... My bench was not going up much and I am looking to change it then I will go back to a higher rep routine to build on my hopeful increase in strength.

strester

strester

Awards
  • Established
1RM? too long ago to remember .... been doing Max-OT for a few months so every workout is a maximum effort on the working sets for 4-6 reps (positive failure)

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Like once a year, maybe. But I do get a feel for maxes when I do 4-6 reps with failure.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
if it is a rep max then it is fine to do it more often. 1 rep max is pointless to me. I was in a sports training program for football and we did the 225 rep max once per week after our friday workouts and it was nice to see the improvements and helped my strength.
i like that idea. sticking to a weight and maxing the number of reps you do on that every week or every other. i may incorporate that into my training style.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
maxing out is useless unless you want to do any of these things:

1. flex nuts on your boys about what you can lift.
2. establish the max so you can calculate percentage you wanna lift with, so as to have a well-put-together training regimen.
3. be a powerlifter.

JDF

Awards
  • Established
I dont 1rm, but I do max out every 2 weeks ( HST ); 15rm, 10rm, and 5rm's.

Other than that I dont really max, just once in a GREAT while if Im looking to build strength.

I think it just makes me feel better mentally if I push more weight.

ongoingsaga

never.

Every few months, I'll push a set a bit to see how much weight I've got on with a 4 rep max but that's about as close to "maxxing out" as I get.

As long as you see gains (or losses) in whatever you are trying to achieve, what's the point?... unless you are a powerlifter.