Cardio... jogging or biking?

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
same terrain same heart beat But which do you prefer ?

I think i would rather bike in the gym for an hour wit good resistance then jog around campus for an hour... what are ya'lls preferences?

ich1ban

ich1ban

Awards
I would prefer almost any cardio rather then jogging.

But i would say cycling with the choices i have.

I get minor shin splints when i jog/run (pain in the shins)

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I like cycling as well, I had a bone fracture in my foot playing soccer my sophmore year in high school and it still bothers me occasionally.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
rowing, elliptical, cycling, walking

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
I quite like spinning (bike) classes.

Jogging does give you a pretty nice high, but if you do a lot of leg work and cardio each week, it might hampen recovery.

If I was only doing cardi o2-3 times a week, I'd rock the running.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
The answer to the question "biking or jogging?" is "How much do you like your knees?"

When I was a trainer, I had a client who was a runner. She was 41, and up for her second knee replacement. Every session, she'd jog to the gym. Understanding escapes me. We all think that trainers are morons, the clients are just as screwed up.

ich1ban

ich1ban

Awards
For sure, even President Bush knows it :D

I read an article that he could burn the same amount of cals riding a bike then running and it's less taxing on his knees.

As for me it's less taxing on my shins

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Yeah when I jog I have to run on something like grass or not concrete, because once I start getting upwards of 2 miles I start hurting...

JDF

Awards
  • Established
i can barely put in a mile running before my shin splits really start to hurt. My calves swell up like balloons and hurt for the rest of day if i run, my vote goes to raquetball or if the courts are taken the elliptical

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
i can barely put in a mile running before my shin splits really start to hurt. My calves swell up like balloons and hurt for the rest of day if i run, my vote goes to raquetball or if the courts are taken the elliptical
damn has it always been like that? i would hate physical activity if that was the case lol

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
If you're getting shin splints while running then 1) Either your running technique needs looking at or 2) You need a running shoe that better suits your walk/running style.

I'd go with running, it doesn't just use legs but the whole body to stabilize the motion.

JDF

Awards
  • Established
damn has it always been like that? i would hate physical activity if that was the case lol
it doesnt get that bad when i run on a track outside but when i try and run on a treadmill it kills me. i talked with my chiropractor about it and he said to stretch them out better and that should resolve the problem, i just never spend the time doing it because i like to get in and out of the gym.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
it doesnt get that bad when i run on a track outside but when i try and run on a treadmill it kills me. i talked with my chiropractor about it and he said to stretch them out better and that should resolve the problem, i just never spend the time doing it because i like to get in and out of the gym.

yeah i hate running on treadmills, its weird for me

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I vote for both. Mix it up. It reduces the mundaneness of doing the same thing every cardio session.

ich1ban

ich1ban

Awards
basketball, tennis, cycling does it for me :D

less boring then running

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
basketball, tennis, cycling does it for me :D

less boring then running
yeah normally i can only run if a coach is forcing me, other then that i have to do something a lil more entertaining (cycling and watchin tv is coool too )

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Running (especially right now, on the treadmill) can definitly be boring when on the long runs, but it's a necessity everyone should do IMO. It's just the most functional form of exercise!

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Running (especially right now, on the treadmill) can definitly be boring when on the long runs, but it's a necessity everyone should do IMO. It's just the most functional form of exercise!
I disagree utterly. There isn't anything functional about running, while there is plenty that can screw you up and cause imbalances. There isn't any reason to practice running. I've never HAD to run anywhere, ever. I have HAD to pick up heavy things to move them. I'm not sure that I have ever heard of anyone who has HAD to run anywhere.

Now, if you like running because you find it fun, by all means, go run, more power to ya. I like biking long distances. It's fun. Useless for anything in everyday life, and non-functional to the max, but fun.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I disagree utterly. There isn't anything functional about running, while there is plenty that can screw you up and cause imbalances. There isn't any reason to practice running. I've never HAD to run anywhere, ever. I have HAD to pick up heavy things to move them. I'm not sure that I have ever heard of anyone who has HAD to run anywhere.

Now, if you like running because you find it fun, by all means, go run, more power to ya. I like biking long distances. It's fun. Useless for anything in everyday life, and non-functional to the max, but fun.
IMO, movement, in it's most basic form, is exercise. Move faster... you're in a stride. Fastest way from A to B. I don't see how you could possibly think running isn't functional.. you develop it just after walking. It's natural... maybe I should have used the word fundamental. But then again, we're on completely separate pages... I train for athleticism, not to bodybuild. Functionality to you means something completely different to me.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Basically my point came from a athleticism angle... for cardio, of course anything gets the job done. Beats per minute is the only thing that madders for fat loss, but you can't improve running without running... but that's a different topic all together.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Basically my point came from a athleticism angle... for cardio, of course anything gets the job done. Beats per minute is the only thing that madders for fat loss, but you can't improve running without running... but that's a different topic all together.
I think I'm with you on the fundamental rather than functional. Mostly all I was trying to say is that all the runners that I've trained have been all screwed up from the running. It always took me a couple months retraining their mechanics to get their posture and motor engrams straightened out. I've just had a lot of issues with runner's bodies, and haven't seen any benefit that couldn't be gained through some other medium.

Oh, and I'm not actually into bodybuilding at all, I just want to be faster and stronger than everybody else. I mean, I already look better......:rofl:.....ooooohhh yeeeeaahhh.

Seriously, though, don't anyone take anything that I have to say about running to heart. I just have this thing against running, based mostly on my experiences training runners, like I said. I've just come to the point where I've got a thing against cardio in general. I'm super-biased on purpose, mostly cause I think it's funny, I've got a weird sense of humor. Don't take me seriously, I don't actually mean anything by it.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
IMO, based on personal experience and what I see around the gym, biking is much easier on the knees and down right therapeutic. When I ran, my knees always hurt, now biking 2x a week instead, I’m pain free. You have to figure most of us that lift have BMI’s that are considered “obese”. Running 2 to 3 times a week and squatting for 30 yrs is gonna be a lot of wear and tear.

DB

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I agree with pretty much everything here, but I would have to choose running. For me, it works better and faster than just about anything. I also do it because I have to for the army, but I would do it anyway as my #1 cardio choice because it works best for me.

I would honestly pick swimming over anything, and do have an olympic pool at the gym, but I find it to be a hassle over just running.

Fergs103

Awards
I know this isn't really the question, but I don't do either jogging or running, but swim instead. Its extremely low impact but it uses both upper and lower body and places more stress on the heart/lungs because you don't get to breathe whenever you want. Of course alot of people don't know how to swim properly and tire out after just a few laps. Butassuming swimming is out I would say biking.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
True some people might not swim because they don't have regular access to a pool either tho..

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I swim, sprint (not jog, not run, waste of time) and ride.

Nothing makes me as hungry as swimming, which leads me to believe it is awesome.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
hahah yeah swimming is pretty killer i get hungry afterwards as well

ich1ban

ich1ban

Awards
yeah swimming is the bomb. working your whole body and is a real cardio work out. plus you don't get stinky and sweaty, you actually feel refreshed once you're done

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Jog around campus because then you get to check out all the fly hunnies.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
On any given weekend I will try to do some rock climbing (boulder gym), mountain bike riding (riding on the road is dull), swimming and sprints.

On week days I will take a lot of stairs (work in a large uni, all over the place), body weight exercises whenever I get the chance (pushups in the office, pullups on the ride home).

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Jog around campus because then you get to check out all the fly hunnies.
lol i jog around the campus so all the fly hunnies can check me out.

packers1200

packers1200

Awards
if you dont care what you get out of it then anything. If you want to run faster then run if not just get your heart rate up.