critique my "on" split

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
TUES. AM - REAR DELT/ROTATOR CUFF (SHLDR HORN)
TUES. PM - SMITH MACHINE VERTICAL PRESS
WED. AM - CALF RAISE/DARD(ANTERIOR CALF)
WED. PM - DEADLIFT/ROWS/SHRUGS
THUR. AM - ABS
THUR. PM - "EDT" PRESSDOWNS/CURLS
SAT. - SQUATS
SUN. - BENCH

20-25 MIN. ON WEEKDAY MORNS (BRIEF BEFORE WORK)
40+ MIN. WEEKDAY AFTERNOONS ( AFTER WORK)
45-60 MIN. SAT/SUN

A LITTLE UNCONVENTIONAL CHOOSING SPECIFIC MOVES INSTEAD OF GROUPS THAT MIGHT OVERLAP MORE. KEEPING MORNINGS "LIGHT"
LOW TO MODERATE REPS AS HEAVY AS POSSIBLE.
ANY THOUGHTS/MODS. GREATLY APPRECIATED AS USUAL.
TAKE CARE BROS.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A super way to NOT grow for most people. Could work splendid for YOU. Most people would do poorly on gear or off gear on this schedule. I end up training people very frequently that make BETTER gains training on a reasonable program clean than they did while "on". One of the biggest mistakes people make when doing a cycle is adding a bunch of sets, lifts, and days in the gym. My advice to people going "on" is to take a routine you KNOW you can grow on clean, and then add very little or nothing to it. Bump protein and nutrition up and grow like a weed. Or.......you can add all kinds of **** and grow very little past the water/nutrient loading the gear gets you. Gear does NOT make one impervious to overtraining and for many raises the threshold very little. SOME people can do LOTS more when on and get away with it. They are in the minority. Lots of people point the finger at bunk gear, when in fact the problem is bunk training.

Just my .02

Iron Addict

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
well, i'm attempting to find some way to create an adaptive impetous in the short 20-40min sessions i can maintain with maximal/near maximal loads. the diet will be there. most of 5kcals/day kept on a palm pilot. with 350-400 grams of diverse quality proteins. i'm also not one to stick with any particular program for long. which stinks for record keeping sakes, but does keep the training fresh. i'd love to hear an example of what you would recommend, but i just don't have the extra funds right now. may contract you in the future though. thanx for commenting.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Go over to Animals board and do a search by "Iron Addict". You will find lots of stuff I have written there. Also read the "Cycles on Pennies" thread that outlines DC's training philosophy. A MUST READ!.

Here is one thing that might help. I train a lot of people, and except for SUPER-FREAKS on LOTS of gear everyone gets a three day a week split. Eveytime you go to the gym and train your body produces cortisol and other stress hormones and CNS gets depleted some. Having more days off than on helps combat this. The old saying you don't grow in the gym, you grow while resting is absolutely true. Most people just plain do too much too frequently and don't grow well. Again, I don't know you, and I will be the first to admit that it coud work great, but with all the days in the gym and all the overlap I would bet against it. I could be wrong.

Iron Addict

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
i appreciate your wisdom. i've looked at several of your articles. seem like solid material. i certainly agree that in this case less can be more, but on the other hand, i don't know that i can achieve a large enough stimulation in 3 sessions/week. (like a little over 2 hrs total) or don't you do like a 9 day cycle? i'm surely interested in what will produce the greatest results. thanx for your time.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Why don't you feel you can "acheive a large enough stimulation" in only three sessions a week. I have 150 lb guys on three days a week and more than a few 260-330 (yes I have a 330 lb MONSTER I'm training) that all get it done in three days a week. If you MUST, hell go to 4 days even Arnold, king of the volume trainers only trained 6 days a week. Are you truly more gifted than Arnie?

I'll tell you about my leg workout yesterday. I did 4 warmup sets and then 2 sets of 10 reps squatting. After my second work set squatting the room was spinning for about 5 minutes. I followed that up with two sets of glute/ham raises and after that I truly had to lay down, thank god I workout at home. Took all of about 30 minutes and my glutes/quads/hams, and lower back are all screaming today. I could have taken it easy with the squats like most people do and followed it up with leg curls, leg extensions, hacks, and go knows what else, but you know what? There is no need to for MOST people, and doing all that **** is usually why MOST people grow little or at all.

Please go read the "Cycles on Pennies' thread and it may put things in a different light for you.

Iron Addict