Box Squats bad for lower back???

1. vision

Box Squats bad for lower back???

So I asked this guy in the gym to spot me on my box squats yesterday and when I told him what I was doing, high box squats, he said that their bad for my lower back. I blew him off because I realized he was a trainer there and I don't care much for most trainers in gyms.

Has anyone had any problems with their lower back or anything else for that matter when doing box squats?

The box squats I was doing were the ones where you sit down fully and then stand up.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.63%

I've done box squats for years and never had a problem with lower back?.. FYI.. I'm sure you know...
    Keep strict form throughout the exercise.. and don't relax your core when sitting for the squat..
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.73%

b!tch slap the trainer , and master/concentrate on the arch.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.71%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by vision View Post
    So I asked this guy in the gym to spot me on my box squats yesterday and when I told him what I was doing, high box squats, he said that their bad for my lower back. I blew him off because I realized he was a trainer there and I don't care much for most trainers in gyms.

Has anyone had any problems with their lower back or anything else for that matter when doing box squats?

The box squats I was doing were the ones where you sit down fully and then stand up.
    Just keep everything tight by not exhaling until you are at the end of the rep, e.g. don't exhale on the way up. The worst thing I've seen people do on squats is use a bench to hoist themselves up with a ton of weight on their shoulders. Bouncing down on a bench with 405 on your shoulders puts tremendous force on the spine, just asking for a slipped disc.
  5. vision

Quote Originally Posted by smoundzou View Post
    I've done box squats for years and never had a problem with lower back?.. FYI.. I'm sure you know...
    Keep strict form throughout the exercise.. and don't relax your core when sitting for the squat..
    yea, I stay very tight, in fact I noticed I get a pretty good ab workout now when I do squats.

thx for the responses
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

The only way you could hurt yourself is in your form, that box won't hurt you.

Some gym trainers know their stuff, A LOT DON'T
    NSCA - CSCS
  7. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.74%

Do squats wrong, and they're bad, do 'em right, and they're a religious experience. But you already know this. Don't even get me started on trainers. (and I'M a trainer) ( Or used to be, at least. The ignorance finally got to me, and I had to get out.)
    The Truth is, there is no Truth.
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bound View Post
    Do squats wrong, and they're bad, do 'em right, and they're a religious experience. But you already know this. Don't even get me started on trainers. (and I'M a trainer) ( Or used to be, at least. The ignorance finally got to me, and I had to get out.)
    NSCA - CSCS

Similar Forum Threads

1. Just got back from Emergency room for lower back pain
    By DOMOkun in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-29-2012, 12:19 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2012, 11:42 AM
  3. Dogg Crap stretching for lower back
    By Go Away in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 07:27 AM