Box Squats bad for lower back???

vision

So I asked this guy in the gym to spot me on my box squats yesterday and when I told him what I was doing, high box squats, he said that their bad for my lower back. I blew him off because I realized he was a trainer there and I don't care much for most trainers in gyms.

Has anyone had any problems with their lower back or anything else for that matter when doing box squats?

The box squats I was doing were the ones where you sit down fully and then stand up.

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
I've done box squats for years and never had a problem with lower back?.. FYI.. I'm sure you know...
Keep strict form throughout the exercise.. and don't relax your core when sitting for the squat..

tunnelrat

tunnelrat

Awards
  • Established
b!tch slap the trainer :shoot:, and master/concentrate on the arch.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
So I asked this guy in the gym to spot me on my box squats yesterday and when I told him what I was doing, high box squats, he said that their bad for my lower back. I blew him off because I realized he was a trainer there and I don't care much for most trainers in gyms.

Has anyone had any problems with their lower back or anything else for that matter when doing box squats?

The box squats I was doing were the ones where you sit down fully and then stand up.
Just keep everything tight by not exhaling until you are at the end of the rep, e.g. don't exhale on the way up. The worst thing I've seen people do on squats is use a bench to hoist themselves up with a ton of weight on their shoulders. Bouncing down on a bench with 405 on your shoulders puts tremendous force on the spine, just asking for a slipped disc.

vision

I've done box squats for years and never had a problem with lower back?.. FYI.. I'm sure you know...
Keep strict form throughout the exercise.. and don't relax your core when sitting for the squat..
yea, I stay very tight, in fact I noticed I get a pretty good ab workout now when I do squats.

thx for the responses

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only way you could hurt yourself is in your form, that box won't hurt you.

Some gym trainers know their stuff, A LOT DON'T

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Do squats wrong, and they're bad, do 'em right, and they're a religious experience. But you already know this. Don't even get me started on trainers. (and I'M a trainer) ( Or used to be, at least. The ignorance finally got to me, and I had to get out.)

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do squats wrong, and they're bad, do 'em right, and they're a religious experience. But you already know this. Don't even get me started on trainers. (and I'M a trainer) ( Or used to be, at least. The ignorance finally got to me, and I had to get out.)
:clap2:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AntM1564 Training Forum 7
Training Forum 4
Training Forum 4
Training Forum 3
Training Forum 18