Sleep: Can you do it too much?

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I wonder, if there is any negative aspect to getting well over the norm of 8 hours. Not that I need it, but I just don't feel like getting myself out of bed.

I ask becuase I wonder if it could have any bad impact on training or recovery. Because of the whole lack of food thing whilst sleeping. What do you guys think?

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
Some doctors say that going over 12 hours without eating can slow your metabolism down by as much as 40% til you eat again. FWIW. I'm guessing these conclusions are based on that the person isnt on some kind of stim 24 hrs a day lololol.

Last edited:
asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
I used to be able to laze around in bed after I woke up, if I had a late night. If I've had enough sleep, when I'm awaken, I jump out of bed and start my day.. about 7 hours is enough. Last night I slept too early (at 10.30pm) and automatically woke up at 5.30 instead of my usual 7am.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
5-6hrs is good for me. After 7 I start getting restless and tossing alot. Anything after 8 and it goes down hill and ends up being a crap sleep. I dont want to get out of bed no matter how long I am in there but the longer I stay in there the less happy I am

packers1200

packers1200

Awards
oversleeping makes me sleepy all day and puts me in a drag mode, i just feel really lazy. i feel much more productive with 7 to 9 hours.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Just listen to your body.

Sometimes I need 12 hours of sleep to feel refreshed.

Other nights I have enough energy on 4 hours.

But I think oversleeping can create laziness just like undersleeping can.

Middle path, grasshopper!

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I get a solid 4 to maybe 5. I would like to get 6-7.

I agree with what was said above. Too much sleep for me (usually over 7 hours) leaves me groggy as hell.

The Batman

The Batman

Awards
Everyone is different on how much sleep they require, but oversleeping is definetly a negative.

If I get over 10 hours too often I feel horrible.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Mon - Fri I get 7-8. Saturday my body goes into hibernation mode and forces me to get 10 or feel unrested.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
too much sleep can actually weaken your immune system.
your body is not awake for long enough to absorb enough sunlight, get enough exercise or partake of enough tiring activities.
your body temperature takes a long time to climb to normal in the morning making you very drowsy for several hours after waking.
in fact you body temperature may not climb to its peak at all, so you may feel lethargic all day.
this is because excess melatonin that has been released by keeping your eyes closed for a long time does not dissipate quickly leaving you feeling drowsy and drained of energy.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
there were also some scientific studies done showing higher mortality rates in those who slept more than 8hrs per night.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Supplements 8
Jebrook Supplements 30
J Supplements 15
steam Supplements 6
M Supplements 13