Best HR Range for HIIT

Ninjo

Ninjo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey all.

I recently started doing HIIT on an elliptical that my wife and I bought around this time last year.

I do a 3.5 minute warm-up followed by ten 1 minute high intensity intervals with 30 second breaks in between and finally, a two minute cooldown. Total time on the elliptical is 20 minutes.

I always use a heart rate monitor and try to get up to 90% of my age predicted max HR on each one minute "sprint".

Is there a specific range (e.g. between 80 and 90% of max HR) that is recommended for HIIT?

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
HIIT is balls out to the wall there is no target heart rate. Go as fast as your joints can take you, rest rinse and repeat.

Agent White

Agent White

Awards
HIIT is balls out to the wall there is no target heart rate. Go as fast as your joints can take you, rest rinse and repeat.
Sorry I have to disagree w/ this...

HIIT can be simplified to this level, but remeber the key to hit is the lactic acid neutrilzation via liposis...at least at the simplest levels...

So start slow...especially if new to it...

Keep the HR(depending on age) at around 85-95% for 20 seconds, followed by 30-60 seconds rest...

Start out doing this until it hurts...and then up your set by 1 every other workout...only do this 2-3 times a week...

Also, don't try this on the elliptical...you really need to do it outdoors (wind sprints), or on a treadmill (controlled)...

Here is some interesting info:

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~wneumann/files/guerilla_cardio.pdf

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established

HIIT can be simplified to this level, but remeber the key to hit is the lactic acid neutrilzation via liposis...at least at the simplest levels...

Keep the HR(depending on age) at around 85-95% for 20 seconds, followed by 30-60 seconds rest...

Start out doing this until it hurts...and then up your set by 1 every other workout...only do this 2-3 times a week...

Also, don't try this on the elliptical...you really need to do it outdoors (wind sprints), or on a treadmill (controlled)...

If you have knee problems elliptical is the only way to go. I started HIIT around Labor Day. My method is to set the elliptical to interval training (two minutes of high elevation followed by two medium). I start with a 2 minute warm up followed by 15 to 20 second sprints broken by 30 seconds of jogging. The jogging segments gradually increase in speed. I do this 4 times per week (2 days on - 1 off - 2 on - 2 off).

I have lost a total of 25 pounds (mostly fat). I like to run, but I have a messed up knee from playing pro tennis 30 years ago. At the age of 22 I had to either drop off the tour, or continue to take a scary and highly controversial medication. Before ellipticals I tried power walking and swimming. Power walking didn't do enough to my heart rate, and swimming every morning in all types of weather was a real pain in the ass.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established

I realize that all treadmills are made differently, but with the same idea in mind.

How would you go about setting up a HIIT run on a treadmill? I'd like to give this a try when I get back into the gym in following weeks.

Also, for a novice, how many sets would you recommended? I saw where you said to step it up a set each week, and only to do HIIT cardio 2-3 times per week.