Need some help with my calves.

F

Fergs103

Awards
First off I'm not a very big guy, 6' 170lbs, my upper body has developed along the lines I've wanted it to, and my quads and hamstrings are pretty cut, not as relatively strong as my upper body but I've just started a new leg intensive program to them caught up. The real problem is my calves, decent strength, but they just will not build up and remain uncut and flabby. Even after running hills and working them, when I sit down they remain fairly loose, if any of you guys have a good calf workout that you do and you could help me out I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks.

C

ClintCanada

I've tried with some success to build up some scrawny calves by hitting them 2 times a week and with some variety -- this is what I do:
Workout day 1 is 'double calves day'
where I do standing then seated calves 3-4 sets of each and my rep range to failure is usually in the 15-25 range
workout day 2 is singles
so standing singles followed by seated singles
doing standing and seated hits the calf differently as does singles vs doubles -- try it. I used to have 'strong calves' but only worked both at a time -- then when I started with singles they were sore after the first workout -- it made me realize that the slight angle variation does work the muscle differently . . .

F

Fergs103

Awards
Thanks Clint, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'll give it a go and let you know how it works.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
I think calves are 99% genetics, you either have them or you dont. I dont. i've had some sucess with going extermely heavy on the leg press, sqeezing out a couple reps. I know its a quad workout, but when I load up the weight I feel it in my calves and hams. On top of that I superset heavy standing calf raises and light high rep standing, seated, or donkey. My method is to just work the sh*t out of them and hope they grow.

F

Fergs103

Awards
I think calves are 99% genetics, you either have them or you dont. I dont. i've had some sucess with going extermely heavy on the leg press, sqeezing out a couple reps. I know its a quad workout, but when I load up the weight I feel it in my calves and hams. On top of that I superset heavy standing calf raises and light high rep standing, seated, or donkey. My method is to just work the sh*t out of them and hope they grow.
Yea thats pretty much been my plan as well, the strength is there but it would be nice to get em built up.

C

ClintCanada

I have to agree with LilPsychotic about the genetics though -- you can IMPROVE your calves but if you're small-boned like me, you'll never build huge calves - especially thick lower calves . . . like around my ankles -- I'm sure there are lots of chunky women who would be jealous of me . . . lol

V

vision

I always thought that symmetrically your calves should be as big as your upper arms, but for most guys in my gym thats definitely not true.

I've found the best calf workout for me is to work them out twice a week (or twice every microcycle). I have 2 lower body workouts per microcycle and for one I do seated calf raises and the other I do Leg Press Calf Raises. Both of which I usually do 3 sets at 20 reps with 30 seconds rest.

I'm not big either, 5'11 ~178lbs, my calves are 14.25" and 14.75" flexed but my arms are only 13.75" and until a few weeks ago my arms were even smaller. If they catch up to my calves I'll start looking big :head: