Questions about chest..

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
Well I was reading somewhat and I have a couple questions they say you're suppose to start with the excercise which targets the area that needs the most work.

Well my problem i can't really pinpoint where my problem is I seem to have a 'pointy' chest, and as of two weeks ago i've been starting my exercise with incline chest db press 4x6, flat db press 2 or 3x6 and 4 sets of db ball flyes for 6

However I can't determine or not if it's the upper part of chest i need developed to fix this problem i seem to have a in the middle of my chest Heres a picture:

So if it flyes would correct this problem, and starting with the exercise which focuses the most on the area which needs work, would i see results from starting with flyes, then incline db press and etc

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
You need to fill out your whole chest, by doing a combo exercise I personally love high weight and big reps(12 a set).Your chest just dosen't seem to be developed.
Just my opinion.
Good Luck!

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
At your level of development.. Flat Bench and frequency is all you need. No need for flyes,

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
I disagree; this will lead to stagnation because it is a constant stimulus. Subbing in weighted dips or incline BB is essential.
lol
funny man basically he needs a little of everything at least IMO he sems to be underdeveloped...in all areas

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
Stagnation? Weighted dips or Incline Essential?
For hypertrophy, the only way a flat bench is going to become stagnet is if the trainee stops eating above maintainance.

Regarding weighted dips and incline being essential.. That's just not so..

The pec is one large muscle with two heads.. the upper and lower head gets plenty of stimulation from any flat bench.. the upper head gets additional stimulation from any type of OH press..

Regarding the poster.. we're not talking about an advanced lifter.. we're talking about a beginner..

to stimulate hypertrophy, the poster needs to be eating above maintaince calories daily and implementing the followign into his weekly routine..

Squads
Deads
Flat Bench
Oh press
BB rows

for a beginner and even most advanced lifters.. that's all that's need for both strength and hypertrophy..

I disagree; this will lead to stagnation because it is a constant stimulus. Subbing in weighted dips or incline BB is essential.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
i strongly recommend mostly incline presses and flyes. these will greatly develop the chest muscles and fill out the upper chest, which comprises the majority of chest fullness. contrary to popular belief, in my humble opinion, the flat bench is just NOT the best chest exercise because 1) it incorporates too much delt to fully isolate the chest and it's also very taxing on the joints. if you want to focus more on aesthetics and build a shapely chest, then i'd strongly consider focusing more on the incline movements. Hammer machines are also very good and you can sub wide grip hammer presses for flat bench, which i like.

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
in my humble opinion, the flat bench is just NOT the best chest exercise because 1) it incorporates too much delt to fully isolate the chest and it's also very taxing on the joints. .
I think you may have that backwards... when doing a flat bench, most of the tension is on the sternal head of the pec and the syngergist muscles are the tri's delts and clavicular head of the pec.."clavicular is the smaller upper head of the pec"

When doing an incline bench, the target muscle is the clavicular head of the pec.. the smaller upper head and the synergist muscles are delts and tri's..

both incline and flat incorporate the delt as a syngergist.

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
Ay yie yie, is an OH press a powerclean?

So many mixed answers lol, So you're telling me I need to do more flat BB, or DB?

I was thinking 4 sets flat BB, 4 sets incline BB 4 sets DB flyes.

All to failure, 4-7 reps, one minute rest betwen sets, 2 between excercises.

And also, if OH is power cleans, is it OK to do powercleans with the chest?

(I have been lifting for roughly two years now, and have gained about 50 solid pounds naturally)

It's just my chest is severely lagging, and i'm plateu'd :p

Bull Mkt

Awards
Agreed 100%!
Sorry but I too have to disagree. Based on your side profile, you REALLY need to incorporate upper pec movements. The incline DB press is ideal for your needs. I'm not saying that the flat bench is not a good exercise at all. It's a terrific movement for chest development but to say that is all you need to develop your entire chest would be irresponsible. Seriously, just doing the flat bb press without other movements will not maximize growth...period. And don't ask me to provide proof of this with case studies because I don't have the time or energy for that. It's just basic knowledge that incorporating several different movements will advance your development much more quickly and efficiently than using just doing the flat bb press. Keep your muscles surprised with different movements and you'll notice marked growth. Also, the rationale that a beginner only needs this or that is counterproductive. It's not that hard for a beginner (which I don't think he is based on the development I see in his pic) to design a routine that an advance trainer uses. In fact, I think it's ideal for a beginner because they are less likely to develop bad habits in form if taught correctly. I've seen way to many "advanced" trainers with poor form. Remember, it's not about the AMOUNT of weight you put up but rather HOW you put it up. It all falls back to the "check your ego at the door" philosophy when you enter the gym. OK, I'll shut up now...LOL!!!

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established

So many mixed answers lol, So you're telling me I need to do more flat BB, or DB?

(I have been lifting for roughly two years now, and have gained about 50 solid pounds naturally)

It's just my chest is severely lagging, and i'm plateu'd :p[/QUO

50 lbs in 2 years naturally is pretty impressive. Damn, you must have been skinny! I agree that squats and deads are crucial to developement, but to just use a flat bench is useless. Maybe try to do an extra inclined exercise like inc. flys, or some light weight dumbells after you do heavy inc. barbell or dumbells. Or high rep inclined push ups. I must conclude that to make your chest look flatter, you'll have to grow the upper chest. Maybe cut lower chest all together, or do lighter weight higher rep to try to flatten it out. But I bet if you focus on your heavy squats and deads, your chest will get stronger, and you'll break that plateau.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established

It's just my chest is severely lagging, and i'm plateu'd :p
Just an overhead press. Many variations, standing db, standing bb, seated, clean and press, ect.