Q. on BB Shoulder press difference.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
So how much of a difference does it make to do an army press(behind head) compared to in the front? I do face pulls to help focus on rear delt as well as bent side raises. Im tryin to get a little more rounded.
Other excersies i do.
Side raises
front raises(palm up and down)

I dont rain shoulders alot. I dont think mine are under developed but im try to fill them out so when i cut more i get the nice litle rips in there.

Thanks in advance fellas

EDIT----Sorry i just read this. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/80223-best-exercises-shoulder.html Ill prolly just try to throwon arnolds and switch front and behind up some.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Behind the head is not a safe exercise!!!! I would not do them.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Yea i read about the possible injury. What not good is when i first started i did them like that, dumb highschool gym teacher. Ill stick to DB or BB front. Thanks for stoppin in man.

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
Yea i read about the possible injury. What not good is when i first started i did them like that, dumb highschool gym teacher. Ill stick to DB or BB front. Thanks for stoppin in man.
Also consider doing a W press - a dumbbell press, but with palms facing eachother.

rhunt000

rhunt000

I luv my tee, thanks NP
Awards
Everytime I've gotten up the nerve to do behind the neck BB presses, i've tweaked my shoulder so bad I couldn't even work chest. I will never do them again. Upright rows tend to hurt my shoulders also (this could be a form issue). Lateral raises and Arnold presses I can do pain free.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmm maybe i'll have to switch off them. I do enjoy them, and have been seeing nice progression on them

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
It puts the shoulder joint in a very vulnerable position. It's just a bad idea anatomically speaking.

I agree, its not a functional movement. You can include behind the neck pulldowns or pull ups with that. Shoulders are 1 of the most important joints when it comes to longentivity in BB and exercise.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so basically what other exercize would be best for me to sub in for its place where I usually do the behind the neck press for 3 sets of 6.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They actually feel good when I do em :) I'm following a specific routine (SAIS) and they have that as the main shoulder exercize

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Behind the neck movements are considered to put your shoulder at risk for several reasons:

#1 The external rotation during a shoulder press creates a natural impingement in the subacromial space. This occurs even if you have no pathology.

#2 The external rotation moment is counterproductive during pulldowns because the lats have a secondary function of INTERNAL rotation. Hence, you're taking focus OFF of the lats.

Pulldowns are more productive with a 20-30 degree backward lean or pulling the bar slightly in front of the plane of your body. This elicits the most lat activity.

#3 Weight lifters frequently have arthritic conditions, with varying degrees of severity of course. The behind the neck press is a "closed packed" position which creates exactly what the term sounds like... grinding and shearing forces on the shoulder's cartilage.

Props to the poster who suggested dumbell presses with the palms in because this contributes to doing presses in a more "open packed" position. The second adjustment that should be made to address shoulder pain is to slightly incline the adjustable bench (70 or 80 degrees as opposed to the typical straight up and down 90 degrees).

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
They actually feel good when I do em :) I'm following a specific routine (SAIS) and they have that as the main shoulder exercize
Actually a minority of people have the biomechanics to be able to do behind-the-neck presses w/o injury. You may be one of them. Don't discard them on a whim.

If you continue to do them make sure you are warmed up, don't drop the bar down too far, keep the movement tight (i.e. bar brushes the back of the head) and keep the weight reasonable (perhaps doing them later in your shoulder workout so they are a bit pre-fatigued).

Also do rotator cuff work routinely even if you don't feel the need.