Developing lower lats?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    Hammer rows to the waist are the best that I've found
    what kind

2. here's a skin the cat vid at least: skin the cat - Google Video It's the third one down.
    The Truth is, there is no Truth.
    •   

3. Not a planche pull-up... Although this guy just looks like a tool.

YouTube - No Feet Pushups (planche pushups) and Pull-ups 21-15-9 3:15

This is...

YouTube - 11-05-2007 some weird pullup thing

This guy, was trained by circus monkeys!

YouTube - Clapping Pullups

4. You can try standing DB rows. Dont use a bench to put your knee on like usual DB rows. Bend over, with the DB starting in front of you on ground, and put the forearm of the arm not being used on your quad. Do rows that way,..... they will hit practically what you were before, with the addition of the lower lats being targeted more in the movement due to the angle, and the DB being pulled more "over" the body. I saw a pic of Branch Warren doin these like 2 years ago,..tried them myself,....been doing them ever since.

5. Quote Originally Posted by brk_nemesis View Post
    You can try standing DB rows. Dont use a bench to put your knee on like usual DB rows. Bend over, with the DB starting in front of you on ground, and put the forearm of the arm not being used on your quad. Do rows that way,..... they will hit practically what you were before, with the addition of the lower lats being targeted more in the movement due to the angle, and the DB being pulled more "over" the body. I saw a pic of Branch Warren doin these like 2 years ago,..tried them myself,....been doing them ever since.
    i got props from an older bber at my gym when he saw me doing the DB row this way. He said thats the old way to do it, freestanding with hand on quad. He said he never sees anyone do them that way anymore. I have shyed away from DB rows as of late tho.

This is an example of hanging scapular retractions and hit the lower lats esp. YouTube - Hanging Scapular Retraction

6. I've always had great lower lat development, check out musculardevelopment.com for their tip of the week, its for lower lats this time, its just hammer strength rows. Whenever I do them I make sure to bring my elbow around my back a bit to get the scapular rotation.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Neil5585 View Post
    I just wanted to point out a couple things here for lat development.

A few key points:

1. The lats cross the shoulder joint and also a portion attaches to the hip.

2. The superior fibers are less fast twitch than the inferior portion (and chinups, v-bar chinups target the inferior more)

3. The lats act to internally rotate the humerus.

So for number 1, what this means is you should get a good stretch in the lats when you work them, which means you have to bend at the hips at the bottom of a barbell row. This will put a good stretch on the lats.

No.2 just means make sure you don't skimp on the 5-8 rep range for building the lower lats.

No. 3 means the pronated hand position in a barbell row is better for the lats.

Give this a shot next time you do standing barbell rows. Use an approx shoulder width grip, palms facing you (pronated). Deadlift the weight up, ARCH THE BACK, and then go into the row position while keeping the back arched hard. The elbows should stay near the body, and as you lower the weight, bend at the hips, so when you are at the bottom you are bent over pretty well with your arms 98% extended. Stand on a platform if needed to do this. Don't allow the arms to fully extend as this takes tension off the lats and requires the arm flexors to get it moving again. KEEP THE BACK ARCHED this whole time, and then row the weight up, minimizing assistance from the hips. Use a slower negative portion.

This sounds complicated and honestly if all you've ever done is heave the weights around it will be at first. however once you get it down, it's simple. You'll feel your back being worked, especially the lats, a LOT more with this method vs. just heaving the weight up each rep. Make the muscles work! Don't just go for heaviest weight. This may require you to lower your normal rowing weight, but trust me you'll feel it in the lats if done right.
    Ive been lifting for about 10 years and im 28. That is some good information that will help me build my lats more. Thanks

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lower Lat Targeting
    By Doss in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 12:05 AM
  2. how to develop lower peck
    By qwerty33 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-19-2010, 10:51 PM
  3. lower lats w/o deadlift or bent BB row
    By Rugger in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5