Shin Splints?

rawfeels

Awards
NOTE: somehow this was made in the wrong section. i clicked on training forum...not excersize science. mods..please move.

ive been trying to get back into shape so ive been adjusting my cardio.

im still unsure as to whether i should keep doing 1 hour of medium paced cardio or 30 minutes of higher paced cardio.

in any case, so far my cardio has had some interval training on the treadmill (for 15/60 minutes). somewhere around 8 minutes into it my shins begin to hurt. its not a good hurt like you know its working...its a burning painful hurt.

ive changed my shoes numerous times, tried running on the street vs. treadmill. but i dont know what this is. nothing else hurts like that. the other muscles get sore of course, but its not the same pain.

have any of you ever had shin splints? does this sound like them? what have you done to fix it?

BTW: this is a new phenomenon for me. it never used to happen when i jogged. as near as i can remember it happened when i was running up some hills near my school (about 3-4 months ago).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You may not have the proper shoes for running. Do a google search on pronation of the ankles. The shape of your foot has a huge impact on what type of running shoes you should use.

Stretching, ice and and cissus help out as well.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
You can still keep intensity up with low impact exercises - instead of running you can try incline treadmill. or really push hard on the elliptical or spin-bike A boxing class where you use a lot more of your upper body and arms might be able to give you a good cardio workout with less impact on your shins too.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
You may not have the proper shoes for running. Do a google search on pronation of the ankles. The shape of your foot has a huge impact on what type of running shoes you should use.

Stretching, ice and and cissus help out as well.
^^^ Word.

I would get them back when I ran a ton. Shoes #1. Also try heating before running and then Ice afterwards.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KingAnt Injury / Rehab 0
KingAnt Injury / Rehab 18
KingAnt Injury / Rehab 0
KingAnt Injury / Rehab 2
KingAnt Injury / Rehab 0