Verticle Grip Deadlifts vs. Traditional Barbell

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
The "shrug bar", or for a description the octagon shaped barbell....

Personally, the traditional barbell deadlift just never really worked for me. Could never get the form down right, and I don't want to risk injury... just doens't feel natural with the straight bar grinding up my legs. However, I constantly have deadlifts incorporated into my crossfit routines. So I have been using the verticle grip style deadlifts, and I like them a lot.

From what I know, the "shrug bar" deadlifts place more emphasis on leg work than back work. Can anybody confirm that? It definitly feels that way, but I thought I'd bring it up.

I plan on only doing these types of deadlifts from now on... would I be missing any huge benefits from the swap? Or are they close enough. Variety is best, but I just don't want to reinjure myself.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just like you said more legs less back. Have you tried doing sumo style deads? If you feel you can't get the form of regular deads you probably are better off using trap bar deads. I would supplement them with good mornings. This exercise keeps my lower back super strong.

lilGiant

lilGiant

Awards
Just like you said more legs less back. Have you tried doing sumo style deads? If you feel you can't get the form of regular deads you probably are better off using trap bar deads. I would supplement them with good mornings. This exercise keeps my lower back super strong.
Good post. The wider your legs the farther away your shins will be from the bar rubbing the he** outta them. Widen your legs a little bit w/ a slight bend in your knees and lift the weight w/ more emphasis on your lower back and hams/glutes.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Or you could keep doing the trap bar deads cus you like them and add rack deads (bar below the knee cap).

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Or you could keep doing the trap bar deads cus you like them and add rack deads (bar below the knee cap).
This is probably would I would do, taking a week break in between each as to not fry out your lower back. I like to pull from the middle of the cap, or about 2" below it.

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
I too use the hexagon shaped/trap bar for conventional dead lifts.. I also incorporate staight leg deads using the regular olympic/straight bar. combined with the back and front squats, these four lifts are the foundation of my all my leg workouts....great compound, full body lifts...

satyricon

Awards
word up to smokey the bear!! big compound moves,heavy weight=results.WAAAAA!!! to all those who cry about shin scrapes. since when has lifting been about comfort and ease? im putting down this 10lb chrome DB and going over to the powerlifter/stongman forum!!!so long suckers. anyone want my posing briefs and leftover tanning butter?

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
Nothing campares to a traditional dead... and yes you're right, those shrug bars, hex bars, make the exercise more of a squat than a dead.. I would say, suck up the scrapping of the bar and do deads with a straight bar.. if you're worried about injury, drop the weight until form is perfected..