• Total voters
TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
-what is your goal?....

Do you train to look aesthetically superior....or....

Do you train for strength not really concerned with shape of muscle?

I am all about aesthetics,and could really give two sh*ts how much i lift. Im more about the athletic side of training.

~this is a tripdog production~

Last edited:
xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Trip, I TOTALLY enjoy seeing a half naked chick, as opposed to your half naked a** :p ... But oddly, I miss it!

I could care less about strength most of the time. Well, I care about increasing it, along with muscle size. But most of the time, that's as far as it goes.

Now, If I'm pretty cut, and lookin pretty good, I tend to shift more towards strength.

Lately, Im finding I LOOK the best, when I train for strength tho, so...

I can't remember the last time I made a girl wet telling her how much I benched :cheers:

(which, by the way, my bench sux so much, I havent been writing it down on those days :p)

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I absolutely had to make a choice, I would definitely go for aesthetics. It is hard to imagine a well-defined, visually appealing and superior physique that lacks in aesthetics. Yet, along with great aesthetics, one should expect good strength and endurance. Strength and endurance, in my opinion, should not be neglected in the pursuit of aesthetics. Somehow, they come to be expected from an athlete with solid aesthetics. So, a polling option "Both" may be appropriate for voters.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Strength, but if I started looking like absolute sh*t I would probably gear my training more towards aesthetics.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Trip, I noticed that you spelled 'aesthetics' 3 different ways in your thread, you are trippin....dog!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Definitely strength but I always plan to stay fairly lean too. I've seen a lot of powerlifters that turned into blobs after a while and it doesn't seem healthy. I'm vain as well.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
-what is your goal?....

Do you train to look aesthetically superior....or....

Do you train for strength not really concerned with shape of muscle?

I am all about aesthetics,and could really give two sh*ts how much i lift. Im more about the athletic side of training.

~this is a tripdog production~
But isn't strength the true sign of athletic ability, as long as you can put that strength to use?

There isn't much athleticism in bodybuilding, IMO.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
But isn't strength the true sign of athletic ability, as long as you can put that strength to use?

There isn't much athleticism in bodybuilding, IMO.
Athletic ability is the combination of endurance and strength,and flexability.....not just strength.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
there are plenty of fat guys that are super strong.
but that wouldn't necessarily make them athletic or healthy.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Athletic ability is the combination of endurance and strength,and flexability.....not just strength.
I think its agility not flexibility, but whatever. Do you do a cross training type of routine, Trip?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think its agility not flexibility, but whatever. Do you do a cross training type of routine, Trip?
I have always been more into cross training than set training. I like to run sprints and actually do something with my body,not just flex in the mirror. I have always been huge into skateboarding and that is a whole lot of balance and flexability/agility. I just did set training while on this last cycle,but now i want to train more around heart rate and cardio. I need the best of both worlds,cant have it just one way.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I have always been more into cross training than set training. I like to run sprints and actually do something with my body,not just flex in the mirror. I have always been huge into skateboarding and that is a whole lot of balance and flexability/agility. I just did set training while on this last cycle,but now i want to train more around heart rate and cardio. I need the best of both worlds,cant have it just one way.
Do you still skate? I played most american sports pretty seriously, but never really got into skateboarding, not a fan of the roadrash:whiner: I need to start incorporating some sport into my training. Glad to see you're staying in shape, not just looking in shape.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you still skate? I played most american sports pretty seriously, but never really got into skateboarding, not a fan of the roadrash:whiner: I need to start incorporating some sport into my training. Glad to see you're staying in shape, not just looking in shape.
Thanks...Yea i still skate,i got 3 boards in my truck for whenever i get the urge. ....

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Which is why the majority of people in this sport aren't athletic.

You seem to be an exception, though. I am a small guy compared to most people on this site. Once my injury heals, I'm going to start training more so leaning towards overall health than just trying to get big. That's why I'm going to start taking up full body and/or half-body routines rather than split routines, and do a lot more cardio.

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
strength is good....but looking good is what its about for me....and its a hobby/stress reliever

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used to be about purely aesthetics, but now I am about strength and performance. I do enjoy lifting for aesthetics more, but I love lifting more than anything else in my training.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Strength is great, and so is sculpting your appearance. But mobility and functionality are also important to me (hence some of the weird exercises I choose).

Aside from bodybuilding, I also enjoy a few other sports.

I used to skate (fruitboot), but don't tell Trip. Woodpushers hate fruitbooters.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use to skate too....when I was 10 and it was cool. :D
No b*tch i mean like trick skating....like if your momma was a piece of wood and i flipped her around a few times before landing on her....:toofunny: :toofunny: just playin t-bag

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use to skate too....when I was 10 and it was cool. :D
Yeah, I kinda lost interest in skating near the end of high school, simply because I got tired of sharing the skate park with 10-year-olds who's mom's would come to watch them skate. Probably would've been a lot cooler if kids who skateboard had hot mom's, but from my experiences....no.

sfearl1

sfearl1

Awards
  • Established
i did both blade and board. skateboarding is ooooh soo much cooler lol

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
i did both blade and board. skateboarding is ooooh soo much cooler lol
blade ........ as in rollerblade?

you know what the hardest thing about rollerblading is?

telling your parents that you are gay.:lol:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
im for strength because i look good when i train for strength. I already have aesthetics :p

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

:toofunny: I know,right!

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well i definitely train with aesthetics in mind. However I like to see strength going up. But if I feel like I'm getting to big then i back it down. I just want to have a good amount of sex appeal and be healthy.

lilGiant

lilGiant

Awards
Aesthetics! Although, they go hand in hand. To get lean mass you need to push more weight. The stronger you get, the bigger you get, because you are pushing more weight, thus training and tearing muscle fibers stimulating growth. Although, strength is not always measured by the amount of weight you push, but by how you push the weight. The difference is the types of movements and diets really that seperate training for strength or looks.

sfearl1

sfearl1

Awards
  • Established

sounds like you were a rollerblader/
so how did your parents take it?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

jCoonan

Awards
I super vain and one of the things I'm vain about is my strength. I try to stay as lean as possible but the thing that makes me most angry is when I stall in strength progression. True, everyone loves a dude wit a 8 pack but how bout the dude that knocks that other dudes teeth out :bruce2:

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
Right now, it is all about functional strength, explosiveness, and agility.. I don't just train to be strong in the gym. I train to enhance overall athleticism that i can apply on the football field... Unfortunately i play defensive lineman(DE) and am only 6' tall... So i basically have to put most of my focus on bulking for about 8 months per year, then really hit the speed training, plyometrics, and Olympic lifts hard the other 4 months... Luckily for me, with all the cardio during football season, i get pretty cut up as well.:thumbsup:

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Right now, it is all about functional strength, explosiveness, and agility.. I don't just train to be strong in the gym. I train to enhance overall athleticism that i can apply on the football field... Unfortunately i play defensive lineman(DE) and am only 6' tall... So i basically have to put most of my focus on bulking for about 8 months per year, then really hit the speed training, plyometrics, and Olympic lifts hard the other 4 months... Luckily for me, with all the cardio during football season, i get pretty cut up as well.:thumbsup:
Can you give an example of a typical workout of yours? Once I get back into the gym and start lifting again, I'd like to gear my workout more towards functional strength rather than size, because I figure the size will come if I'm training for strength and agility.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
aesthetics hands down. i'm into bodybuilding, not powerlifting. and i really don't see the point in lifting a weight for one rep - sometimes one poor, assisted rep. grant it, who doesn't want the girls in the gym to see you packin 45s on your bench between sets?

i do what i can handle, but i often vary volume and sometimes train in the lower rep ranges (4-6 reps). but that's as much as i do for strength. otherwise i'm more concerned with how i look with my shirt off, rather than how bulky i look with my shirt on. so my goals lie more in the way of symmetry and shape, as opposed to brute force.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
aesthetics hands down. i'm into bodybuilding, not powerlifting. and i really don't see the point in lifting a weight for one rep - sometimes one poor, assisted rep. grant it, who doesn't want the girls in the gym to see you packin 45s on your bench between sets?

i do what i can handle, but i often vary volume and sometimes train in the lower rep ranges (4-6 reps). but that's as much as i do for strength. otherwise i'm more concerned with how i look with my shirt off, rather than how bulky i look with my shirt on. so my goals lie more in the way of symmetry and shape, as opposed to brute force.
:lol: I think you stole that right out of my training notes...(word for word) hahahahaha thats totally a tripdog comment.

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
Can you give an example of a typical workout of yours? Once I get back into the gym and start lifting again, I'd like to gear my workout more towards functional strength rather than size, because I figure the size will come if I'm training for strength and agility.
During the off season(right now) My workouts are very much the same as your typical body building bulking phase... I utilize high volume training for about 6-8 weeks after the season..basically to let my joints and connective tissue regenerate... Practically all of the exercises in my workouts are compound lifts... very few exceptions...

leg day1: Back squat, front squat, straight leg dead lift, standing calf raises. (3 jump squats between each set of each exercises)

leg day#2: trap/hex bar dead lift, DB walking lunges, lateral lunges, seated calf raises.(3 broad/long jumps between each set of each exercise)

I try to incorporate as many movements in the transverse plane as possible. ie. med ball lunges with a twist on the eccentric(negative) stage..est..

I always do at least one day of speed training per week.. I strap on the cleats and do a large variety of things...

What are your goals when you say functional training? How are you going to apply these exercises to your life to make them functional?

AM07

Awards
  • Established
During the off season(right now) My workouts are very much the same as your typical body building bulking phase... I utilize high volume training for about 6-8 weeks after the season..basically to let my joints and connective tissue regenerate... Practically all of the exercises in my workouts are compound lifts... very few exceptions...

leg day1: Back squat, front squat, straight leg dead lift, standing calf raises. (3 jump squats between each set of each exercises)

leg day#2: trap/hex bar dead lift, DB walking lunges, lateral lunges, seated calf raises.(3 broad/long jumps between each set of each exercise)

I try to incorporate as many movements in the transverse plane as possible. ie. med ball lunges with a twist on the eccentric(negative) stage..est..

I always do at least one day of speed training per week.. I strap on the cleats and do a large variety of things...

What are your goals when you say functional training? How are you going to apply these exercises to your life to make them functional?
To tell you the truth, I just want to lift more for physical endurance and strength instead of size now. Size will inevitably come with that, but I'd like to incorporate more circuit training and only really stick to compound lifts when I train, with maybe one day a week of some isolation work.

This is just for general fitness. These exercises won't be incorporated in my life in any way, considering I'll barely be able to workout starting in Fall 2008, but would just like to have some kind of full body workout and an idea of what you do during the season.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
To tell you the truth, I just want to lift more for physical endurance and strength instead of size now. Size will inevitably come with that, but I'd like to incorporate more circuit training and only really stick to compound lifts when I train, with maybe one day a week of some isolation work.
For me, big heavy, compound lifts are the only way to go while bulking. I could never get over 210 without gaining mostly BF on a BBer workout, but I've gotten up to 225 doing heavy strongman type lifts.

I think a good physique should be a reflection of the ability to do something extraordinary. Like Ronnie C can dL and squat 800 for 2 and probably put up some impressive numbers in many other lifts. Lou Ferrigno and Franco Columbo both did fairly well in the early WSM. And then there's this dude,

who's a 77kg class 2007 Oly lifting world champion. It also doesn't necessarily have to be solely about strength, it could be a reflection of overall health or endurance.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
For me, big heavy, compound lifts are the only way to go while bulking. I could never get over 210 without gaining mostly BF on a BBer workout, but I've gotten up to 225 doing heavy strongman type lifts.

I think a good physique should be a reflection of the ability to do something extraordinary. Like Ronnie C can dL and squat 800 for 2 and probably put up some impressive numbers in many other lifts. Lou Ferrigno and Franco Columbo both did fairly well in the early WSM. And then there's this dude,

who's a 77kg class 2007 Oly lifting world champion. It also doesn't necessarily have to be solely about strength, it could be a reflection of overall health or endurance.
what is your point about the dude in the pic?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The point is that he's shredded but can do something with his musculature, ie Oly lifting. Well, that and I'm very ghey. :food: :eek: :run:

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established

This is just for general fitness. These exercises won't be incorporated in my life in any way, considering I'll barely be able to workout starting in Fall 2008, but would just like to have some kind of full body workout and an idea of what you do during the season.
During the football season i utilize a DC training style.. i feel that it is the best way to maintain my strength, while not pushing to the point of overtraining... plus, my DC workouts are slit between upper body and lower body.. so depending on how i am feeling that week, i can workout 2,3, or 4 times without neglecting a muscle group...

if you want to do a full body workout using compound lifts, i can think of an over simplified suggestion that will work every muscle in your body: dead lifts+bench press...done..that was easy.