The official TALL guys thread

In Hulk

In Hulk

Awards
So I'm wondering what type of workout routines have worked best for the tall guys here? What lifts have really helped you gain? Being tall, are there any lifts you won't do or modify because of your height?

I'm 6'4 and of course I want to look huge but it's hard, when I first started lifting years ago I was only about 158lbs(see: stick figure). I'm at 195 lbs now and still looking like a twig :frustrate and not nearly as strong as I'd like to be :aargh:...

So, I'm looking for input from other tall guys here to see what has worked best for you and any other tips etc that you'd enjoy sharing.

Giants unite!

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
So I'm wondering what type of workout routines have worked best for the tall guys here? What lifts have really helped you gain? Being tall, are there any lifts you won't do or modify because of your height?

I'm 6'4 and of course I want to look huge but it's hard, when I first started lifting years ago I was only about 158lbs(see: stick figure). I'm at 195 lbs now and still looking like a twig :frustrate and not nearly as strong as I'd like to be :aargh:...

So, I'm looking for input from other tall guys here to see what has worked best for you and any other tips etc that you'd enjoy sharing.

Giants unite!

6'4 here too.

I used to be 187, a walking skeleton.

I find deads are easier on me than squats and even bench. It depends on what your leg vs. torso length is. Me, I have longish legs (34+" inseam and a semi long torso, my dad who is 6'3" has shorter legs and a long torso.)

:dl:

I still do front/back squats and bench, but I don't think I will hit 'strong' numbers on them due to the fact that its a helluva lot of travel compared to guys with shorter arms/legs. I switch between PL and BB stances on squats, depending on what I want to hit (quads/glutes), but other than that, I just keep working on them.

I think the worst part is adding any significant 'size' to your arms/legs requires A LOT more muscle to be wrapped around those long bones than someone that is a little more compact.

Sorry, I've got no tips, just commiserating.

I would not trade being tall for anything though!

X

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
6ft3 in the house! Heavy has worked for me filling out those long bellies. Im improving my muscle size by going heavy. 5-7 reps

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
being taall has many benefits. yes Deads have worked well for me. Squats as well. no bench for me and no squats anymore Quads got a little unproportional with my calves so I had to bring my quad size down.

Deadlifts seem to be easy for taller people Im noticing

bluecollar

bluecollar

Awards
6ft4 subbed hopping to get some good info , not a whole lot to give

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
6'3 here, can't wait to hear some input.

my chest and back seem to grow well, arms seem to lag

remember that you need more calories!

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
**** smallest here at 6' 2", started at 160lbs.

I find the 5 rep range works best for me. 216lbs right now and sure as hell aint small:type: :twisted: Other than that, eat and lift hard!

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
Interesting thread guys.

Im 6"2, but strangely enough I find squats add more mass and size for me. The problem being so tall, is that you do indeed require much, much more muscle to fill out your calves and thighs, and squats really help me with that.

As for upper body, i dont have much problem with my back, as I find being tall, makes my lats more prominent. The biceps, triceps and in particular Forearms really need some serious, serious work.

When your tall your forearms seem to look skinny no matter what - dont know if this is the same for you guys?

I do find however that my calorie intake is around 3400 for daily maintenance, and I need a minimum of 3900 to bulk.

Interested how all us other tall guys work around being tall. I know as difficult as it is to look "big" I wouldn't trade being tall for the world. :)

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
My arms are actually my best feature, chest is probably the hardest to get size. I hate my chest

Id love to be taller, like 6' 6" 6' 7" and be something like 300-350lbs be a f'in BEAST!

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
My arms are actually my best feature, chest is probably the hardest to get size. I hate my chest
Ha, thats weird. My chest is the easiest to get, and my arms the hardest.

I think that part may be due to genetics though, rather than height?

In Hulk

In Hulk

Awards
My forearms look small as well. My biceps are "ok", but my tris and shoulders aren't anything impressive... My caloric maintenance is extremely high as well.

I'm mostly all legs. 34+ inseam as well. My quads seem to be the easiest place for me to put on muscle. When I first started lifting I would go ass to grass on my squats and they blew up and just stuck. I no longer go ATG though because I got used to going to parallel.

What type of routines do you guys usually stick to? I see a couple of you are saying the 5-7 rep range is working for you.

For those of you who don't bench or squat, at least not heavy, what exercises are you guys using to target those muscle groups?

Let's keep this thread alive and thrivin' guys

Oh, and I love being tall as well. Even if it's hard as hell to get that "large" look. Towering above the crowd is great :)

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
for what it's worth, i have had decent results from doing a forearm drop set a couple times a week

i take a barbell and load it with 4 10's per side and do as many behind the back forearm curls as possible, then take one off each time all the way down

but there is only so much you can do about it, longer limbs just take more time/calories/work to fill out usually

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Oh shoulders, love em! From behind they look like a photochop.
http://anabolicminds.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1197&ppuser=18095

Iv been doing the same thing for 5 years haha, 3-4 sets, 3-5 exercises 3min rest. Only thing hard for me now is diet. Its something like 3100 to not gain and thats if I aint very active. And when you aint working which makes you poor, its even harder. Squats are hard for me because I am a wuss, but rackpulls seem to be packing the meat on fast. Cant wait until spring time!

Oh an calfs, they are like 16", I do hate the short guys when there calfs there body but yet mine are 2" bigger and look 20 times smaller

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
Oh shoulders, love em! From behind they look like a photochop.
http://anabolicminds.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1197&ppuser=18095

Iv been doing the same thing for 5 years haha, 3-4 sets, 3-5 exercises 3min rest. Only thing hard for me now is diet. Its something like 3100 to not gain and thats if I aint very active. And when you aint working which makes you poor, its even harder. Squats are hard for me because I am a wuss, but rackpulls seem to be packing the meat on fast. Cant wait until spring time!

Oh an calfs, they are like 16", I do hate the short guys when there calfs there body but yet mine are 2" bigger and look 20 times smaller
Great shoulders man!

To be honest though, when your tall, muscle looks much better than on our shorter friends (haha) although it takes much more effort.

I also keep to about 8-10 reps upper bod and strictly 15 lower bod as a general rule. I do like to finish with 3 sets of 8 reps on the lower body parts for extra mass.

tattoopierced1

6'7" here. I stay away from squats, just cant do them, I have a 36-37" inseam and going parallel is a joke, just too much room in between the knees and my hips. Started at 158lbs and after 4 years got to 235lbs, then lost some weight and am sitting around 220lbs now, hoping to get to 240lbs by summer.

In Hulk

In Hulk

Awards
Hmmmmm, let's make this easy on the eyes

#1. List your favorite "go heavy" exercises you guys regularly use

#2. Your favorite rep range that has produced best results

#3. Full body/ upper-lower days/ full body split?

Just trying to identify any common patterns that permeate tall guys' training that could protentially be applied to training for every tall guy. :dance:

tattoopierced1

1. Bench press (DB and BB), Rack Deads, chest fly

2. I dont believe in one set rep range, I change things up and believe this is the best way to achieve the results I want

3. I do 2 body parts per day

In Hulk

In Hulk

Awards
Oops. Double post... I've really got to get my wireless situation figured out...

Last edited:
Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established

Just trying to identify any common patterns that permeate tall guys' training that could protentially be applied to training for every tall guy. :dance:
For me, everything is 'go heavy' (or as heavy as I can). Squats, Bench, Incline Bench, Rows, Hang, Clean and Push Press, Military, Deads, Chins/Inverted Rows, Dips with some assistance lifts (cg bench, hammer curls, etc.).

I rotate between 5x5 and 8x8 every 6-8 weeks. Add some strength, deload the weight and up the intensity with 8x8 (15s rest per set/120s rest per exercises) to try to add some volume with the increased strength, take a week break. Rinse and repeat.

I do a push/pull split, 4x/week.

I don't do direct calf or forearm work. My calves are ~18" and forearms are over 14". I attribute that to a lot of manual labor when I was younger.

X

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Deadlifts, T bar rows, Incline DB press, Fkat Db press, one arm db rows, Squat, Barbell Lunges. I stopped aquatting because my quads got too unproportional 28 inches and my calves were only 15 inches. Now my quads are 25 and calves are a bit bigger than 15.5. Hopefully there 16 I havnt measured ~Remember though this bodybuilding bringing up your weakpoints not ego-how much can you use your strength while ignoring your weakness;s type of a thing. Understandable?

2. 4-6 now its 5-7

Dc training currently

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
wow you guys are TALL. im standing at a mere 6'0.

I find it's impossible to do stiff leg dead lifts at my height, any of you have any problems with the stiff leg DL?

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
wow you guys are TALL. im standing at a mere 6'0.

I find it's impossible to do stiff leg dead lifts at my height, any of you have any problems with the stiff leg DL?
I love stiff leg DL's! It's improved my flexibility a lot! I'm looking to get a platform so I can go deeper.

I would love to be able to palm the ground stiff-legged, not just 'touch my toes'.

X

sublimejeh

sublimejeh

Awards
  • Established
6'3 here :D I just lifted heavy, 6-12 reps usually to gain size and ate like a beasssttt

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
#1. Right now Rack pulls

#2. 5 reps

#3. Mon- Chest/tris Tues- Legs Bis Wed- shoulders Thurs- back/abs

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
6'3 here :D I just lifted heavy, 6-12 reps usually to gain size and ate like a beasssttt
Yes thats what Ive noticed ; to really fill out them long muscle bellies you have to go heavy intill you get them. Congrads on your size btw

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
#1. Right now Rack pulls

#2. 5 reps

#3. Mon- Chest/tris Tues- Legs Bis Wed- shoulders Thurs- back/abs
again agreed on the heavy weight lower reps. I heard That heavy weight high reps is best but intill i get stringer itll have to be heavy-low.

Rack pulls are kind of like a half deadlift for extreme back thickness and extreme traps right? If so These are in my routine this time(first time trying them) also Rack chins on a smythe seem to be working. I have tryed the do pull and chinups normal grip and dont do widegrip but widegrip seems to work for me. even though some have advised against it and iTll cause shoulder injuries it widens my lats better than a lil wider than shoulder it seems.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
As far as I understand rackpull is just a shorter deadlift, so same results I would assume. Iv only been doing it for about 5-6 months but I see the thickness and the erectors comming out. Traps not bulding yet, but then again Im only repping 415.

I do pulls ups with the V bar where my hands are a few inches apart, I already have shoulder problems so I stay away from those wide grips!

On a side note this fitday.com thing is fun. Its challenging to get my 40/40/20. Today my fat intake was 31%, just had a chicken breast and 2 cups boiled romain lettuce. MMMM:type:

sublimejeh

sublimejeh

Awards
  • Established
Yes thats what Ive noticed ; to really fill out them long muscle bellies you have to go heavy intill you get them. Congrads on your size btw

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In the Arnold Enclopedia he mentions Ectomorphs bebnifit more from a higher fat intake. Many taler guys from my observation seem to fall around in this catagory.

earlyriser73

earlyriser73

Awards
One things for sure when your tall and large you gotta eat more to keep it! Im 6'7, 305, and I have problems putting on size in my forearms and calves. I agree that for tall guys to put on size you gotta find ways to squat heavy often!

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
One things for sure when your tall and large you gotta eat more to keep it! Im 6'7, 305, and I have problems putting on size in my forearms and calves. I agree that for tall guys to put on size you gotta find ways to squat heavy often!
Jeezus. 6'7/305! I'm jealous. only 6'4"/~275 @ 18%...

You definitely gotta EAT to keep it. If I go camping for the weekend (lowered food intake) I'll drop a good 5-8 lbs easy.

X

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I took a week off supplemrents , and training and did a detox salad only forthree days and went out to clubs, didnt pay strict attanetion to p[rotein intake and I lost ten lbs in a week, Agrred got to eat to keep growing!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
sometimes a detox can be a positive thing because it cleans the body of everything and goives the body a short break of protein

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tha when you resume training the food and supplements go into full effect

earlyriser73

earlyriser73

Awards
sometimes a detox can be a positive thing because it cleans the body of everything and goives the body a short break of protein
Totally agree, a short break from protein every now and then can do a world of good.

In Hulk

In Hulk

Awards
Eating so much is sometimes difficult to keep up with, especially considering our height and usually accompanying high metabolism.

I love my blender

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Ya if I miss a meal thats 500-600cals I have to play catch up on. Most of the time I just down a extra shake. I hate eating all the time!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ya if I miss a meal thats 500-600cals I have to play catch up on. Most of the time I just down a extra shake. I hate eating all the time!
It would be nice if we bodybuilders wouldnt have to. You got to pay the price to get the results. Unless your physically genetically superior.

Suming it up so far ...

Heavy to thicken the muscle bellies

Find what exercises work best for you and what bodyparts you want to bring up or reduce. Yes I said reduce. I had to reduce my quad size in proportion to my calves.

Eat and learn all you can about bodybuiloding nutrition

Find what supplements work for you

Sleep deep and enough recovery time mentally physcially, and yes emotionally.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Sleep deep? What is this? Im under so much stress I am lucky to get a ****ty 6hrs of sleep, I would KILL for a great 4 hrs!

And reduce?!! never! Make the muscle play catch up, my traps are lagging and my shoulders make them look like a board. My bis are 2" bigger than my calfs, punish those who fall behind!!!!!!:bb3:

Id also like to add, I used to get REAL ****ty sleep, but I bought 4 memory foam toppers and glued them together hehe. No back pains but sleep still sucks. I think I need to buy 2 more and be stress free. Its a little weird having a bed "mold" to me.

Cedarwood

Awards
I'm just 6' 3" 240. I used to be in the 180s and 190s about 10 years ago (I'm 33 in Dec). I remember when I finally broke the 200 mark, i was stoked!

I find lifting heavy has helped, really focusing on squats, deadlifts and cleans. Eating, I supplement my meals sometimes with calorie shakes. A tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive oil in the morning and again at night is a good source of extra calories, and as far as I know isn't bad for you. And I know sleep helps.. but ya man, I'm lucky to get in a few hours a night.. i really need to work on that.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In the words of my friend Brasso Sleep is crucial!

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
I'm 6'4 and 1/2 rouglhy, 260. Getting muscle for us tall guys is usually much harder because the muscle is longer and therefore getting that separation that shorter guys get so easily is a pain in the ass. But really, seeing a well put together guy who is 6'4 is more impressive then seeing a huge guy thats 5'6 imo.

The worst part of my body is forearms, they look like ass. Can't get them to grow. Calves are a ***** too. I find lifting for strength works best for me, when my lifts increase my body gets bigger, which makes perfect sense.

One funny thing is my bench is pretty weak compared to my other lifts and people wonder why I struggle to bench 305 when there are guys next to me who are half my size putting up 375 easy. The long arms make pressing movements very difficult because the range of motion is that much greater then a short guys. Squats as well are that much harder getting your ass all the way down. What I have noticed though with my friends and just observing tall guys at the gym is that we can lift more when it comes to back movements. Like rows and pull downs for me and my buds reason are easy even though the motion is still larger.

By far the hardest thing for me is getting that definition that separates your should cap from your upper arms, obviously having a low BF is needed but getting the shoulders to really come out is tough.