What are some really good bodybuilding books?

animalXXX

Awards
Just wandering what's some really good books to have. I was thinking about Extreme Muscle Enhancement by Carlon Colker M.D., FACN. What do you guys think about it? What other books would be good? Both for diet and training..

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding by Arnold Schwarzenegger (Foreword by), Bill Dobbins

That's all I know..sorry I do most of my learning online or the magazines....but most of it can be summed up really quickly ...the magazines drag it out and recolor it all to make money with it.

Much Love,

Neoborn

I mean how exciting is this compared to a new magazine each week?

1. Workout hard - There are many different workout regimes, many that work well. Generally: Strength training is in the 6 rep range / Bodybuilding in the 8-10 rep range. - Rep range warmup: 15 ( sets 1 & 2 ) Working: 10, 8, 6 last three sets add drop sets to failure )

2. Fast Efficient Workouts = 1hr - This is not hard and fast but studies have shown that Cortisol rises after 1hr

3. Protein shake immediately after workout and then protein meal with carbs etc within 1hr

4. Creatine - Mono or CEE you decide. Both before and after workout.

5. Daily meals - 5 - 6 day ( including shakes ) protein = 1g per pound of body weight. Meal 1 ( breakies ) is shake plus oatmeal or whatever else you want ( apple is good fibre / system crap mover ), Meal 6 is post workout shake with creatine etc and then solid food meal. Carbs tapered down from morning to evening and fats tapered up from morning to evening. Protein is a constant.

6. Sleep 8 - 10 hrs a night ( very imp for all natural BB'ers )

7. Supps - Do you note the order in which these are and where supps come??? - a) Multivitamin / B complex b) Whey protein c) creatine e) Test boosters / stacks etc

Most importantly do you see the order of these things?

Exercises: Compound movements i.e. two arm two leg exercises.

1. Squats - Biggest muscle and boosts test like crazy, work em hard and see results big time.

2. Deadlifts / Chins / Bent over Rows / Pulldowns - 1st attempt either an palm up or palm down chin at the beginning of your back workout, if you can do one, try two, if you can do 15, add weight. Most important for back is to make the mind / muscle connection. Concentrate ( start with low weight and excellent form ) on getting a good contraction and not swinging with the weight. Calm controlled up down with good squeeze of lats at bottom of rep. All about the connection / squeeze

3. Leg press

4. Flat Bench Dumbell / Barbell - Always swap it up, it takes more muscle etc to do dumbells ( stabilizing muscles etc ) but switch it up - Start with dips to hit lower chest then move to flat bench / incline.

5. Core work - Abs / lower back - work the weaker harder.

This should give you a good idea....Best thing for test.....squats ....good form, warm up well, be careful and grow!

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
  • Supertraining by Mel Cunningham Siff

• Science and Practice of Strength Training, Second Edition by Vladimir M. Zatsiorsky

• Essentials of Weightlifting and Strength Training by Mohamed F. El-Hewie

• Dinosaur training: Lost secrets of strength and development by Brooks D Kubik

• Kelso's Shrug Book by Paul Kelso

• Super Squats: How to Gain 30 Pounds of Muscle in 6 Weeks by Randall J. Strossen

• Brother Iron, Sister Steel: A Bodybuilder's Book by Dave Draper

• Bill Pearl's Keys to the Inner Universe by Bill Pearl

• The Poliquin Principles: Successful Methods for Strength and Mass Development by Charles Poliquin

• Brawn, 3rd Edition by Stuart McRobert

• Beyond Brawn: The Insider's Encyclopedia on How to Build Muscle & Might by Stuart McRobert

• Practical Programming for Strength Training by Mark Rippetoe And Lon Kilgore

• Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe

• Rock, Iron, Steel: The Book of Strength by Steve Justa

• Advanced Sports Nutrition by Dan Benardot

• Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff by Jim Johnson

• Fitness and Strength Training for All Sports : Theory, Methods, Programs by Jurgen Hartmann, Harold Tunnemann, Peter Klavora, and Peter Gaskovski

• Serious Strength Training by Tudor O. Bompa

• Periodization: Theory and Methodology of Training
    by Tudor Bompa

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Are they just the light reading you have done Dat or :ntome:

animalXXX

Awards
Good god man, that's a long list of books.. Anyone in particular that stands above the others?

FunkyFinester

Awards
Good god man, that's a long list of books.. Anyone in particular that stands above the others?
I have always used online articles/postings/sources for reference. I spent a few trips to the bookstore browsing through many different publications. Based on the ones that where carried by your standard brick & mortar place I found The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding by Arnold Schwarzenegger (Foreword by), Bill Dobbins to be the best one to purchase as the foundation. It has a ton of useful information and more importantly (to me) a great breakdown of proper technique for many lifts and they are organized by body part. I decided this was the best first purchase for my in house reference materials.

Many other publications I reviewed did a great job of specializing but the Arnold book was the best overall book I found.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
datBtrue put together a good list. I'd distill it down as follows:

Classics (Read these if you plan to seriously train for a number of years)
Supertraining by Mel Cunningham Siff
Science and Practice of Strength Training, Second Edition by Vladimir M. Zatsiorsky

Bodybuilding
Brother Iron, Sister Steel: A Bodybuilder's Book by Dave Draper

Overall Strength
Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe
Practical Programming for Strength Training by Mark Rippetoe And Lon Kilgore

Read these if you plan to hit it without much effort for only a couple of weeks
Richard Simmons' Better Body Book by Richard Simmons
Do it yourself;: Creative movement with innovative physical education equipment by Richard Simmons

onelife

onelife

Awards
Inspirational novel type:

muscle: confessions of an unlikely bodybuilder

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
-Game of Shadows

-Triple H's book

:lol: