Workouts For Beginners

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Workouts For Beginners

I'm looking for a good routine for a beginner. I'm not a complete noob to workouts, but I've never been hardcore either. I'm looking to bulk up but shed a little weight while I'm at it. I weight 170lbs and I'm about 5'9. Medium frame. What would be a good weeks workout/diet to start bulking up all around? I'm not sure I want to get ridiculously huge or anything yet, I just wanna get bigger and increase strength. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I have access to a full gym, and have a treadmill at home, so all types of exercise advise is welcome. Oh, and I'm a vegetarian! Thanks

2. Registered User

Here is an excellent beinners routine
    geocites.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_program_linear.htm
    I know the site is geocities.com If the link don't work try googling madcow's 5x5 routine or Bill starr's 5x5 routine
    they are both excellent beginner routines.I hope this helps
  3. Registered User

I wouldn't agree that 5x5 is a beg. routine. A beginner needs to focus on form and execution rather then sheer weight. 5x5 is more of a strength routine, it is the perfect way for a newby to lift for his ego, not his muscles.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Thanks for the advise koi, I checked them both out and I like Starr's program, seems to have a simple, yet sensible progression that I'm sure I can handle. I've been doing about 80-100 crunches, bench pressing about 3 sets of 160lbs, and 3 sets of 140lbs butterflies a night for the past couple of weeks, so it shouldn't be too had to make the transition to this program. Really appreciate the advise!
  5. Jet

A simpler approach to 5x5 for beginners would be Rippetoe's program:
    http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1205058

I've only been on it for a couple of weeks, and I've already added 20 pounds to my squat
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Thanks Jet, that one looks good too. Definitely between that one and Starr's 5x5. I just gotta pick which I think will fit my personal sched. best. I really do appreciate the positive advise for a noob like me! Any other is always welcome!

I was on albuterol a few weeks awhile ago, and I really think it made some difference. I worked up to 4mg 4x a day, and besides the shakes, it was good. I dropped maybe 5lbs, and did have a lot more energy for workin out but. Definitely worth the free 2 week sample I got. I'm thinkin about runnin cytolean with the 5x5 program, thinkin' maybe it'll give my metabolism a little kick, but who knows? Weights comin off one way or another!!
  7. Registered User

hurleyboy
    Starr's,Rippetoe's and Madcow's programs are all excellent routines.maybe try to tailer them to what works best for your schedule.Also don't forget your multi vit.,fishoils,and protein.you will also find all the members here to be very helpful with your goals.I know I did.Also be sure to chackout the bulking and supplement sections for any help you need.
  8. Jet

Quote Originally Posted by Hurleyboy05 View Post
    Thanks Jet, that one looks good too. Definitely between that one and Starr's 5x5. I just gotta pick which I think will fit my personal sched. best. I really do appreciate the positive advise for a noob like me! Any other is always welcome!

I was on albuterol a few weeks awhile ago, and I really think it made some difference. I worked up to 4mg 4x a day, and besides the shakes, it was good. I dropped maybe 5lbs, and did have a lot more energy for workin out but. Definitely worth the free 2 week sample I got. I'm thinkin about runnin cytolean with the 5x5 program, thinkin' maybe it'll give my metabolism a little kick, but who knows? Weights comin off one way or another!!
    No problem, good luck with the program you end up choosing, they're all great

PS- If you want a little more info on the Rippetoe program, just search "rippetoe program" in google. I noticed that the link I posted before doesn't have any info on warmup sets (just make sure you do 2-3 warmup sets of 3-5 reps "building up to" the weight of your working sets.)

Hope I didn't make that too confusing.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm gonna start on Monday, so I'm sure I'll be back with questions about everything.
    BTW, whats a good source of protein for a vegetarian like me. I eat eggs, cheese, and soy and I know these are good, but do you guys have any other recommendations? Supps maybe?
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet View Post
    A simpler approach to 5x5 for beginners would be Rippetoe's program:
    TMAGNUM FORUMS - Cross Country + Rippetoe's Program

I've only been on it for a couple of weeks, and I've already added 20 pounds to my squat

Rippetoe's is excellent for someone who has never had a ~routine~. Do that until you plateau (or about 8 weeks). Keep notes as you will need to know/calculate your 5RM for when you switch to 5x5.

Definitely start with Rippetoe vs the 5x5. Get into the routine and stick to it. Don't jump around and do stuff you aren't supposed to do. If you start migrating to concentration curls and tricep kickbacks, re-read '[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-Practical-Coaching-Beginners/dp/0976805464/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9173753-5815045?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=11 93949401&sr=8-1"]Starting Strength[/ame]' again. Get your form down pat on bench, squat, deads and rows, you will need it perfect later on. Check your ego at the door, and nail those big lifts with perfect form every time. You will progress rapidly once your form is automatic.

Do the 5x5 (with smart assistance lifts) until progression stops, then start looking at other routines. But both of these programs will get you going and stop your drifting.

Eat enough to support good growth. These programs can pack on some pounds if you eat enough to support it. If you don't know what your BMR is and what your maintenance cals are, figure that out and go a tad higher (200-500 cals)each day. Adjust your maintenance cals as weight starts to come on.

I know people say there are better routines than the 5x5, but when you have never been on a 'program' and just been drifting, your body will respond favorably.

Don't worry about getting too 'hyooge', if it were easy, everyone would be monsters.

Good Luck,

X
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm gonna start on Monday, so I'm sure I'll be back with questions about everything.
    BTW, whats a good source of protein for a vegetarian like me. I eat eggs, cheese, and soy and I know these are good, but do you guys have any other recommendations? Supps maybe?
    I'm assuming lacto-ovo vegetarian?

You are going to need more protein.

Whey is good.

Gemma protein (made from peas!) from trueprotein is pretty good too.

Cheese isn't all ~that~ good for you.

Personally, I stay away from all soy.

Beans and rice make a complete protein.

How is your diet? Every vegetarian I've known had a crappy diet they thought was 'healthy'.

Post up what you eat, when you eat it and your macro breakdown.

X
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

I'm currently a full time student, so my diets not great, but I do try to keep it healthy when at all possible.

Mornings usually consist of slice of whole wheat toast with eggs and coffee (fat free milk, splenda), or just the toast and coffee depending on time.

Lots of water through my morning classes (2-3 bottles)

Lunch is usually soup (vegetable) or salad (large with cheese and fat free dressing), maybe an apple. Usually drink water with lunch, some times an energy drink (amp or full throttle) if my energy is low.

More water throughout my afternoon classes. If my classes run long sometimes I'll bring a small bag of unsalted peanuts for a snack.

Dinner is where I sometimes mess up. Most of the time I'm good and eat a big veggie sandwich (with cheese and tiny bit of light mayo) or anther big salad and some crackers, but sometimes i just can't say no to a big plate of spaghetti or some other pasta. I'm sure I'm another one of those vegetarians with a "crappy" diet and I'm def lacking in protein. I know its no excuse, but during a long day of school/work/homework/workout sometimes I just gotta grab something and go, planning an entires days meal layout just gets lost. If there is a good meal plan for your average, overwhelmed, college kid I would sure love to find it! Let me know what I should do to help better my diet section.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

I'm currently a full time student, so my diets not great, but I do try to keep it healthy when at all possible.

Mornings usually consist of slice of whole wheat toast with eggs and coffee (fat free milk, splenda), or just the toast and coffee depending on time.

Lots of water through my morning classes (2-3 bottles)

Lunch is usually soup (vegetable) or salad (large with cheese and fat free dressing), maybe an apple. Usually drink water with lunch, some times an energy drink (amp or full throttle) if my energy is low.

More water throughout my afternoon classes. If my classes run long sometimes I'll bring a small bag of unsalted peanuts for a snack.

Dinner is where I sometimes mess up. Most of the time I'm good and eat a big veggie sandwich (with cheese and tiny bit of light mayo) or anther big salad and some crackers, but sometimes i just can't say no to a big plate of spaghetti or some other pasta. I'm sure I'm another one of those vegetarians with a "crappy" diet and I'm def lacking in protein. I know its no excuse, but during a long day of school/work/homework/workout sometimes I just gotta grab something and go, planning an entires days meal layout just gets lost. If there is a good meal plan for your average, overwhelmed, college kid I would sure love to find it! Let me know what I should do to help better my diet section.
    Yeah, that would be one of those crappy diets. Do you look healthy? or are you kind of gaunt and sickly looking? (not meaning to offend here), It's just been my experience with vegetarians, and I've known and lived with lots of them.

If you ate everything that you listed there everyday, I'm guesstimating you'd take in ~2800 cals with ~100g of protein, which you don't eat all of that so it's even lower. Most of your diet is fat based, and not the good kind (saturated) with a healthy dose of carbs. Macros are roughly 15/40/45 (P/C/F). You need to shoot for 1g/lb of bodyweight for protein at a minimum.

Are you willing and able to supplement with whey(milk based) or Gemma/Hemp (Veg based)? How about additional eggs? Flaxseed oil? Fish Oil? (probably not) Anything you don't/won't/can't eat? Cottage cheese, Oatmeal, Walnuts, Almonds etc.? Allergic to any foods? (obviously not peanuts).

Do you live in a dorm or apt/house? Do you have a microwave/hotplate/foreman grill/fridge/freezer? Can you cook? or is it just cafeteria food?

What's your body fat % right now?

What's your food budget?

It is possible to be a healthy vegetarian and there are quite a few vegetarian bodybuilders.

X
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Believe it or not, I'm really not gaunt even though I'm a veg. I'd best describe myself as i don't know... stocky maybe. I ate pretty bad (junk food) up until a few years ago, so I was a little on the heavy side for awhile. I started running and dropped about 40lbs 2 summers ago and now I'm just kinda average. I've got some middle weight I'd like to see go, and would definitely like to increase muscle mass, but I don't look like one of those half-alive vegetarians.
    As for food and supplements I'm willing to try anything (even fish oil) if it will help me out. And I'm not allergic to anything that I know of. I live at home so I have access to all appliances and I can cook fairly well. I'm not sure what my bf% I will try an get that calculated asap. Budget for food is not a problem.
  15. Gold Member
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.

How long has it been since you worked out seriously? You say you're "no stranger" to training, but tell us more. Also, what kind of weight were you moving and what do you want to get back from it this time?

If you have the intention of gaining muscle mass, you will need more protein than you can get sensibly from plant sources. Do you eat eggs? Fish? Dairy? Any 2 of these would help you immensely in the muscle-building department.

My brother lifts pretty seriously (looks a *great* 40, and he's 52), and he's a kind of vegan (he won't eat "animals with faces"...*shrug*), so I may be able to help, as he & I have discussed his nutrition in some detail.

Get your bodyfat checked, or at least estimated - here's a link:
    http://www.bblex.de/en/calc/navy.php

...not perfect, but close, and handy.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

When it comes to previous workouts for me, I've never done a program or anything structured. I've been going to my gym 3-4 times a week and doing 45min or cardio (treadmill) and upper body workouts (pressing, butterflies, push/pull-ups, crunches... alot of arms and chest.) And the weight is about 160lbs, 3 sets of 10 reps on the bench, 140lbs on the butterflies 3 sets of 10 reps, about 80-100 crunches (throughout the workout), and however many sets of push/pulls-up I could handle (about 3x10 of each depending how tired my arms were) I'm looking to gain muscle and trim down some fat. Just shape up all around really. And yes, I eat eggs and dairy, no fish (but I'm willing to take fish oil if it will help) No animals with faces for me either.
  17. Registered User

Hurley no offense bro but you just need to do some serious reading about nutrition and how to execute a legit work out plan. You are so far lost that we can't really fill you in without posting a book for you to read.

I was the same when I was young, so take nothing by it. It is good you are looking to educate your self before wasting many years in the gym with no results like many people do.

Check this site out. http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot_intro.asp

And healthy pasta with tomato based sauces are extremely healthy. If I had a choice between salad and spaghetti, I would choose the spaghetti. You can by whole wheat noodles with flax seed and tomato sauce is great stuff. If you are trying to pack on muscle then don't be afraid to eat. Putting on muscle and losing fat at the same time are two things that directly contradict each other, you need extra calories to add muscle and a caloric deficit to lose fat. Fat and muscle require the same thing, remember that.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Thanks for the site reference Steel, and i will start trying to find
    some more reading materials on nutrition. This is all really, REALLY new to me - actually planning out what I'm doing instead of just spending a meaningless hour at the gym getting sweaty. If you know of any other sites or good reads on nutrition/workout planning please let me know. I wanna do this right the first time and not look like a complete idiot.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Just finished my MAX-OT "Legs" Session... Whew! it gets you going fast and hard. But I felt great afterwards, Followed it up with PWO Protein Shake (Six Star Whey Protein - Chocolate) yummm.... Goodnight!
  20. Registered User

good, max-ot is a solid routine, pretty hard to mess up using it. Good luck.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. best workout for size and strength?
    By paul3371 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 06:46 PM
  2. Im a beginner builder, how good is this workout for me?
    By NerdFlexd in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-23-2008, 08:51 PM
  3. pre-workout or post-workout for igf-1???
    By s.norman in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 09:14 AM
  4. workout for my girlfriend
    By bige211 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 08:20 AM