Getting out of breath in the gym

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
I have noticed after getting back into the gym recently, that sometimes I get winded very easily. I went in today and after 3 sets of 3 exercises I just could not go on I could not catch my breath. My muscles were not tired, in fact I was setting new personal bests on a couple exercises. Then sometimes I will go to the gym and have a long workout with many exercises and not get out of breath at all. What is going on?

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Do you do any cardio?

Sounds like you may need to work on your cardiovascular endurance.

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Potentially coming down with a virus. Up the basic supps like Vit E, C, & B's and drink plenty of water. I tend to get strep throat easy (I have no idea why, tonsils pry need pulled), but I will notice shortness of breath just before it really hits.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
As I can tell you from experience..lack of cardio and focusing on size/strength only routines will wreck your endurance. IMO Part of this may come from conditioning the heart for very short bursts of strength/pushing and this tends to lead to a hypertrophic cardio myopathy-like where the heart becomes way less efficient at pumping.

Use of PDE-5 inhibitor like Drive/icariin has helped me in this regard immensely. I also use LEF's SuperBooster with vitamin K2 and feel this has helped a lot as well. I've been doing lots of hiking at 7000-9000' and have not been sucking wind like I used to.

Purely my opinion loosely based on anecdote and some scientific data..I encourage you to research the matter on your own though.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have noticed the same thing here recently,.. as in the last few weeks.
I notice that my "better" sessions are thjose with smaller bodyparts..
But I hit squats and Im just so damn winded! ..and I used to be able to do more weight for more reps too!!! Grrrrr!!!

Cardio-wise, well, I used to ride my bike into work, 2 miles each way. Cut down on that about 50%.. Doing actual cardio work doesn't kill me. Its only with the heavy lifting..

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
I have noticed the same thing here recently,.. as in the last few weeks.
I notice that my "better" sessions are thjose with smaller bodyparts..
But I hit squats and Im just so damn winded! ..and I used to be able to do more weight for more reps too!!! Grrrrr!!!

Cardio-wise, well, I used to ride my bike into work, 2 miles each way. Cut down on that about 50%.. Doing actual cardio work doesn't kill me. Its only with the heavy lifting..
where you been bro...

and most people get out of breath doing hard exercise if your not out of breath u arent working hard enuff is my opinion

even when i was in better shape then 99percent of this board at national level compeition in endurance sport i breathed heavy and often, but it never slowed me down