Tendonitis from straight bar curls

deaconbill

Awards
Anyone else experience this?  I had been making great gains in my curls but apparently my biceps were growing quicker than my connections.  A cycle can make us into an animal.  LOL  Got some elbow straps that fit on the forearms that seem to allow me to still lift heavy but the doc says they may take as long as six months to heal.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
is the tendonitis from your wrist or elbow? ive experience a minor case of both (back in HS when lifting and playing ball). if your pain is in the wrist, training forearms helped me alot for slight recovery and strengthing it to avoid future pains. as for elbow, to be honest, i wouldnt know what to do to help aid and stengthen for the future. hope this doesnt last long for you man. mine didnt. swaying a bit away from this subject, my wrists has always been week in lifts like heavy close grip, barbell curls (straight) , and a bit from closegrip upright rows) from an old basketball injury and mainly genetic small joints. but if the straight bar bothering you, sub in ez bar for a bit and see if that does anything. Sage

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Yea, tendonitis is nothing to take lightly, NSAIDs are great for tendonitis, also Flax oil and essential fats are a natural remidy for tendonitis, although not as effective as an NSAID.

Then comes the debate of which is better, a straight bar or an EZ bar, I dont want to get into this debate because to each his own, but switching over might not be a bad idea.

But Bill you're right, sometimes when muscles and structures grow too quickly, ligaments and tendons do not have time to catch up.

wardog

Awards
  • Established
I get it in my elbows as well. The best thing I found to keep it at bay is to not lockout on reps. Mine is more tricep than bicep, so with benching, military and any tricep excersize, I always make sure to not lockout, and it seems to help. I think it provides more tension on the muscle as well, it doesnt get that "lockout break"

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I get it in my elbows as well. The best thing I found to keep it at bay is to not lockout on reps. Mine is more tricep than bicep, so with benching, military and any tricep excersize, I always make sure to not lockout, and it seems to help. I think it provides more tension on the muscle as well, it doesnt get that "lockout break"
Very good point, this could go in the Excercise Science/Training section ;) The many advantages of NOT locking out. It does indeed keep the stress on the muscle you're working, which is what you want, never understood why people locked out and held it there for a few seconds....

Monte Cristo

Awards
deaconbill

I notice the same problem myself, especially when I go heavy on straight
bar curls.

I feel the strain in the Brachialis area mostly.

Drawing:

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Brachialis.html

I find it best to go to cable curls on the lat machine with reduced weight until it
heals.

I have thought of using liniment or DMSO
on the area before excercise also. Anybody else try this?

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Yea.  Definitely a problem I suffer from with straight bar curls.  As a matter of fact, I quit doing them.  I did find that if increased the diameter of my grip, it helps. I did this by wrapping my wrist straps around the bar.  I know they also make grips expressly for this purpose.</SPAN>

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
I used to get it frequently, I wanted to rip my arm off. Stopped doing straight bar curls, exclusively EZ curl now, haven't had irt since. Also, stiff arm pull downs may irritate it as well.

deaconbill

Awards
Thanks for the advice.  What is NSAID's, BTW.  One of the hardest things about BB is to stop exercising a body part or trying to not go heavy when lifting.  I think at times I would rather continue lifting heavy and deal with the pain.  Just don't want to make the injury permanent.